Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5329|London, England
It just always seems to be pushed by people with english or law degrees. Do as I say, not as I do hypocrisy.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4225
can you please give a source or some fact? i have never heard of american english grads pushing STEM. seems like the entire american higher-ed system privileges and pushes STEM as it is. humanities and english literature majors are in steep decline in american unis. where are all the english or law majors saying "go do STEM instead"? seems like an already entrenched thing to me.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Jay wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

i wasn't really talking about rockefeller. more like anyone born into a lower-class family, or with non-white skin. people talk about 'the world's greatest democracy' but it is literally the least equal nation in the entire western MEDC group.
Three things:

1) economic mobility is tough to gauge when 3/4 of the country is considered middle class.

2) economic mobility is dependent on physically moving to better circumstances, and for the most part poor people stay where they were born. They're fed promises of jobs being brought to them by their paternalistic sounding politicians.

3) government intervention in the economy via regulations, laws, and incentives push people away from first saving money (hurts manufacturers and gdp) and then starting a business (takes weeks to start one and the compliance paperwork afterwards is a nightmare), the historic route to becoming wealthy.

It doesn't matter anyway, quality of life has increased steadily for decades especially for the poor.
Three things:

1) The middle class is losing wealth.

2) Physically moving to better circumstances doesn't always guarantee you a job, and a job doesn't always guarantee you significant economic mobility.

3) Government intervention is about the only thing aside from unions that keep us from returning to the days when the Pinkertons would be called to quell a worker's strike.
Nyte
Legendary BF2S Veteran
+535|6723|Toronto, ON

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

can you please give a source or some fact? i have never heard of american english grads pushing STEM. seems like the entire american higher-ed system privileges and pushes STEM as it is. humanities and english literature majors are in steep decline in american unis. where are all the english or law majors saying "go do STEM instead"? seems like an already entrenched thing to me.
The education system on Earth is designed to destroy creativity and philosophical thinking.  Unfortunately not many people know about this.  I wanted to be an artist prior to a dentist (and prior to my current engineering position).  But life.

I partially blame the scientific revolution for contributing to this current education system.
Alpha as fuck.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4225
and it proceeds apace because smug blue-collar STEM guys like to malign philosophy and humanities as stuff for 'posh effete fags'. tada. 400 year educational tradition dying out in america... well, except for the 1% who go to private ivies or liberal arts colleges that cost as much as a 4-bed family home.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-07-25 17:09:37)

BVC
+325|6666

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

and it proceeds apace because smug blue-collar STEM guys like to malign philosophy and humanities as stuff for 'posh effete fags'. tada. 400 year educational tradition dying out in america... well, except for the 1% who go to private ivies or liberal arts colleges that cost as much as a 4-bed family home.
STEM guy here.  In my experience, those who are likely to malign arts/humanities are those who suffer from tall poppy syndrome (which can be pretty much any group), or those who see study solely as a means to grow one's income.

I actually think some humanities papers should be compulsory for STEM courses, due to the writing & critical thinking skills they impart.  But then I also studied philosophy, so might be a little be a little biased.

Philosophy is quite a good one to go along with CS courses due to the logic component - if you can master modal/propositional/predicate logic, you'll have an easy time learning to write code, SQL queries etc due in part to familiarity with logical operators.

Last edited by BVC (2013-07-25 21:57:28)

Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5556

Workers at the nation’s best known fast-food restaurants in seven cities across America are planning to walk off the job Monday to protest what they say are wages that are too low to live on. In a move orchestrated with the help of powerful labor unions and clergy groups, the workers plan to strike for a day to demand their wages be doubled.

The Washington Post reports that the protests will take place in New York City, Chicago, Detroit, Milwaukee, St. Louis, Kansas City, and Flint, Mich., involving workers at McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's and KFC. Some employees at stores including Dollar Tree, Macy's and Victoria's Secret are also expected to join the protesters in several cities.

The workers are calling for wages of $15 per hour, more than double New York's current minimum wage of $7.25.

A network of local community groups, clergy and unions, including the Service Employees International Union (SEIU), are backing the strike.

“SEIU members, like all service-sector workers, are worse off when large fast-food and retail companies are able to hold down wages and push benefit standards for working people,” Mary Kay Henry, president of the Service Employees International Union, told the Washington Post.
Well good luck with that.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Yeah I don't think they're getting $15/hr. But there's still room for negotiation.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6710|Toronto | Canada

victoria's secret? i have a friend who works there and she makes pretty good money

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard