Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6714
China wouldn't be in it's position toady if it wasn't for sweatshops tbh. 20 years of shitty conditions and now they are an economic powerhouse. Same goes for Taiwan. Factory work at my gramps place used to be just average pay, now the pay is doubled compared to the national avg salary. We pay our people well because hey why not, they bust their ass and make more monies for us. Kinda cool for a small company where tons of employees have worked for us since they were 18.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

Macbeth wrote:

It isn't about the race. Lets drop the Korean part so that Cyborg isn't offended.

Price competition isn't something many small businesses especially in rural areas have to worry about. Usually they are the only game in town. They have a captive customer base that has no choice but to buy at the rates the small business sets.

Lets compare this again to Wal-Mart which has obscenely low prices on a vast range and options of items.

I am not only talking about Wal-Marts. A small CVS provides many more benefits to a small neighbourhood than an independent corner store.
Yeah the small businesses I shop at aren't exactly abusing their "local monopolies." Part of my job involves driving around the state to different sites, and I've developed a mental laundry list of small businesses along of the way that I like to stop and look at, because they can have things that huge chain stores do not. Anything from a unique fruit smoothie, to a giant bulk sack of dried corn at rural price to a mature strawberry plant that costs the same as a starter would from Lowes.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4253

Cybargs wrote:

China wouldn't be in it's position toady if it wasn't for sweatshops tbh. 20 years of shitty conditions and now they are an economic powerhouse. Same goes for Taiwan. Factory work at my gramps place used to be just average pay, now the pay is doubled compared to the national avg salary. We pay our people well because hey why not, they bust their ass and make more monies for us. Kinda cool for a small company where tons of employees have worked for us since they were 18.
yes, you could say the same about britain... in 1800. it's called 'industrialisation'. however america is already industrialised. it is rich. developed. advanced. not still building roads and trying to establish an economy and manufacturing sector. it doesn't have 'sweatshops'. these situations are not fucking comparable. america is extraordinarily wealthy. the problem is the wealth is entirely concentrated at the top. the problem is there's a pernicious ideology, seeded in the 80's, that suggests everyone on minimum-wage are helots that 'deserve' their status, and should not be paid a penny more. it is stupid.
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6713|US
Lol, Uzique, you need to go back and get some historical background.  The "people deserve their place in society" idiocy has been around for a LONG time.  American wealth isn't "entirely concentrated at the top," even though it is trending toward the extremes.  The NYT actually had an interesting piece on economic mobility by region today.  I'd recommend reading it.  It was thought provoking.
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6621|Little Bentcock

RAIMIUS wrote:

Lol, Uzique, you need to go back and get some historical background.  The "people deserve their place in society" idiocy has been around for a LONG time.  American wealth isn't "entirely concentrated at the top," even though it is trending toward the extremes.  The NYT actually had an interesting piece on economic mobility by region today.  I'd recommend reading it.  It was thought provoking.
Everyone has seen this by now, how can you say it's not concentrated at the top?

Last edited by Adams_BJ (2013-07-23 19:12:35)

Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4253

RAIMIUS wrote:

america has one of the lowest social mobility rates in the entire advanced western world. i suggest you read up on that.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6714

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

RAIMIUS wrote:

america has one of the lowest social mobility rates in the entire advanced western world. i suggest you read up on that.
Social mobility is even worst when you're black too.

https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4253
i hate americans who still think it's all 'the american dream' and yada yada. have you been in a coma since 1950?
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6714

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

i hate americans who still think it's all 'the american dream' and yada yada. have you been in a coma since 1950?
You can live the american dream but not too much of it. rockefeller learned that lesson when he was #winning@americandreamz.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5356|London, England

Cybargs wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

You can live the american dream but not too much of it. rockefeller learned that lesson when he was #winning@americandreamz.
Please stop posting in D&ST.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6714

Jay wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

Please stop posting in D&ST.
how is that not accurate. he built a huge ass company and then got broken up when it was too successful.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4253
i wasn't really talking about rockefeller. more like anyone born into a lower-class family, or with non-white skin. people talk about 'the world's greatest democracy' but it is literally the least equal nation in the entire western MEDC group.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

i wasn't really talking about rockefeller. more like anyone born into a lower-class family, or with non-white skin. people talk about 'the world's greatest democracy' but it is literally the least equal nation in the entire western MEDC group.
Three things:

1) economic mobility is tough to gauge when 3/4 of the country is considered middle class.

2) economic mobility is dependent on physically moving to better circumstances, and for the most part poor people stay where they were born. They're fed promises of jobs being brought to them by their paternalistic sounding politicians.

3) government intervention in the economy via regulations, laws, and incentives push people away from first saving money (hurts manufacturers and gdp) and then starting a business (takes weeks to start one and the compliance paperwork afterwards is a nightmare), the historic route to becoming wealthy.

It doesn't matter anyway, quality of life has increased steadily for decades especially for the poor.

Last edited by Jay (2013-07-24 04:45:02)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4253
that's milton friedman's argument. "well the poor are better off now than they were then, so it must have worked". that's fatuous, and operates on a whole load of completely untested and unprovable historical assumptions (i.e. without the neo-liberal experiment, any other improvement would have been impossible). if you had a better system the poor could be MUCH better off. america has generated extraordinary wealth since ww2. your entire nation could be in tip-top shape, with cutting-edge schools, infrastructure, health-care, etc. and a middle-class lifestyle that is the envy of the world. instead you don't. nobody in the western world envies your high-schools or medical system; nobody envies the sort of middle-class 'prosperity' you have, that involves 4 maxed credit-cards.

i also don't see how economic or social mobility is 'tough to gauge' just because everyone calls themselves middle-class. middle-class is just a meaningless semantic label in america - a puff-term. the reality is that, just like every other nation in the world, you have a working class. people who do not own the means of production, or even their own property/land. they are working class. in every definition. from ricardo onwards. nothing is 'tough to gauge', just because people deceive themselves by insisting they are 'middle-class' because they drive an SUV and have the latest HD-TV. if their financial situation is still precarious or debt-heavy, they are not established-bourgeois. the self-perpetuating illusion that everyone in america is 'middle-class' is just a form of false consciousness, of capitalist ideology massaging the social anxieties and pretensions of the people. "don't worry, it's the american dream, you're all middle-class now". keep lying to yourselves.

it is frankly useless, to the point of being unhelpful, or a detriment. everyone insisting that social mobility is 'fine' because "we're all middle-class" is just a form of sleepwalking into the greatest inequality in the western world. i don't know why you persist in this collective fantasy. the figures speak for themselves. hell, you yourself only clawed your way out of your circumstances because of federal aid and generous schemes put in place - for precisely that reason - after ww2. and you yourself acknowledge you are one of the few from your set.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-07-24 05:04:21)

Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4253
also government intervention stops people from starting businesses? we've already established in another thread that europe has a greater plurality of SME's and independents than america - which is mostly all large corporates and chains. people don't start their own businesses because they're disincentivised by government interference? please tell me more as your neo-liberal wet-dream means half your country shop at wal mart.

see, you can re-present your statement in the terms of its obverse (i.e. the real truth it discloses): lack of government intervention and managing encourages corporations. not 'lay off the intervention because it puts off the little-man from starting his own enterprise'. government stepping back just lets big business take the reigns. Q.E.D. threads about minimum wage issues.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-07-24 05:16:29)

Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6714
american gov should make income under 18k a year tax free like aussieland. helps the poor more than anything.
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6713|US

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

I guess it depends on your viewpoint.  My grandparents struggled to get to a middle-class lifestyle.  My parents were solidly in the "middle 33%" of income, and they have a decent house, cars that don't breakdown, reasonably nice stuff, etc, etc.  I took advantage of educational and employment opportunities and am currently in the "top 25%" and am not even 30 yet.  Do I ever expect to become a "top 1%" multi-billionaire?  Nope.  That said, I can maintain a comfortable lifestyle within my means (honestly, I can waste a fair amount of money and still be in the black).  So, I have nothing to complain about financially, but I'll never approach the top of the chart for wealth.  Sure, having a G650 to fly to my 5th house in the Alps would be kind of cool, but it's hardly something I worry about.

Now, if you want to talk about how the bottom 20% don't make a reasonable living, I'll agree.  $18,500 would be pretty tough to live off of in most of the US.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4253
america is meant to be a western superpower. how many of your kids can't afford school meals? how many people are on foodstamps? medicare/medicaid? you have generated an extraordinary amount of wealth under the relaxation of regulation and the chummying of business/lobbying to politics. all under the shibboleth of 'trickle-down' economics. well, where's the trickle? right now the only trickle most poor people in america are feeling is the cold alkaloid drip of crack cocaine down their esophagus.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

america is meant to be a western superpower. how many of your kids can't afford school meals? how many people are on foodstamps? medicare/medicaid? you have generated an extraordinary amount of wealth under the relaxation of regulation and the chummying of business/lobbying to politics. all under the shibboleth of 'trickle-down' economics. well, where's the trickle? right now the only trickle most poor people in america are feeling is the cold alkaloid drip of crack cocaine down their esophagus.
Every needy kid gets one or more free meals at school.

The Obama administration loosened the requirements for food stamps, so use has skyrocketed. Free money.

What relaxation of regulations? More get added every day.

Now fuck off with the marxist class warfare rhetoric trust fund baby
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4253
marxist class warfare? yeah i'm really bringing up marx or class warfare by saying that america has a disproportionate wealth distribution.

also what's wrong with trust fund babies? shouldn't they be more amenable to your post-randian gestalt? certainly libertarians should view trust-fund babies and families that have 'worked and achieved' more hospitably than government welfare recipients.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-07-25 15:17:42)

13/f/taiwan
+940|5697

Jay wrote:

The Obama administration loosened the requirements for food stamps, so use has skyrocketed. Free money.

Have you ever tasted public school lunch? I would never let my children have that garbage.

There is an increase in food stamps users but it doesn't mean more money is being spent on the program. They are just splitting up the money and lower the amount a person receives.

You're right about the rules and regulations, although the tax laws here are designed to be manipulated.

I think what Uzique is trying to say here is that compared to the advanced Western world (parts of Europe, the US and Canada), the United States is in last place when it should be taking the lead. We're talking about social programs and level of education, right?
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4253
yes. but mention the US is behind and you're a marxist, encroaching on freedom. america has had the best lead ahead of everyone following the events of ww2. more growth and geopolitical control than any other power. but you have not converted it into a harmoniously running society. instead you are riven with class and race divides. and i don't mean that in an 'abolish class' marxist sense. i just mean you could have brought the general level of your lifestyle up to a level of being the envy of the world. instead you have an oligopoly-like elite that covet all of america's trophies.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

13/f/taiwan wrote:

Jay wrote:

Have you ever tasted public school lunch? I would never let my children have that garbage.

There is an increase in food stamps users but it doesn't mean more money is being spent on the program. They are just splitting up the money and lower the amount a person receives.

You're right about the rules and regulations, although the tax laws here are designed to be manipulated.

I think what Uzique is trying to say here is that compared to the advanced Western world (parts of Europe, the US and Canada), the United States is in last place when it should be taking the lead. We're talking about social programs and level of education, right?
I have, and from what I can remember it was bad but edible. Quality may be bad compared to what I'm used to now, but it's free calories.

Have payouts gone down? I seriously doubt that, there would be massive outrage.

Social programs have always been a last resort kind of thing. Quality is not built in, nor should it be really, or people won't have incentive to leave the programs.

Education can be blamed on teachers unions and just a lack of respect for learning on the whole. We don't have a culture that looks at people who try hard in school as anything more than nerds. Look at all the backhanded attempts to push STEM education: it's always pushed by people who chose other 'cooler' degrees.

Either way, I don't much care. I'm not part of some amorphous blob called America, my name is Jay. Yours is Taiwan, we each have our own problems and perspectives, our own strengths and weaknesses. Asking the blob for help causes more problems than it solves.
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4253
STEM is always pushed by people who chose 'cooler' degrees? what? STEM has been a giant social drive since the 1950's and the reinvention of the modern research university in the states. STEM was the bona fide way for 'the american man' to 'make himself' at college, post-ww2. heavily encouraged because of its benefit to industry and invention, building america up and securing your world-wide lead. STEM is pushed by people with 'cooler' degrees? honestly where do you get this from.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6714

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

STEM is always pushed by people who chose 'cooler' degrees? what? STEM has been a giant social drive since the 1950's and the reinvention of the modern research university in the states. STEM was the bona fide way for 'the american man' to 'make himself' at college, post-ww2. heavily encouraged because of its benefit to industry and invention, building america up and securing your world-wide lead. STEM is pushed by people with 'cooler' degrees? honestly where do you get this from.
I think a lot has to do with the social aspects nowadays, people give shit to "nerds" who like math and science, creating a social stigma towards STEM subjects. There's been a huge drive in aussieland trying to get more girls into science and math if they are capable. Lots of girls would rather do a degree besides STEM.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard