Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6670|Canberra, AUS
they're not that low. they're low-ish but harldy terrifyingly so.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6102|eXtreme to the maX

Jaekus wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

There may not be a country left in three years if Labor get in again though.
Record low interest rates, high dollar, paying less tax, taking home more pay than at any time in the previous ten years and low unemployment. Sounds terrible circumstances to continue under.
BUSINESS conditions in Australia have slumped to a four-year low and are "very bad" in retail, mining and manufacturing, the National Australia Bank says.
South Australian conditions were ranked the worst in the nation, at minus 12, where a 0 rating is neutral.

This was almost twice as bad as the nearest states, Western Australia and New South Wales, which ranked minus seven.

The NAB said forward orders and employment were still "very poor'' and low interest rates and the falling dollar had shown little effect so far.

More: Holden threat to close 'very serious'

"The June survey paints a worrying picture of the Australian economy; business conditions slumped in June to their lowest level since May 2009,'' the NAB Monthly Business Survey says.

"Weaker trading conditions and profitability combined with still poor employment conditions drove business conditions lower, with each of these indicators remaining well below average levels.

"Conditions deteriorated heavily in mining, retail and manufacturing (despite a tumbling Australian dollar). Weak forward indicators - including forward orders, stocks, capacity utilisation and employment conditions - remain concerning and suggest little improvement in near-term demand.''
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/business/ … 6676439921

Ford is closing, Holden could easily close, what businesses will the govt have left to tax exactly?
You can only run an economy for so long on coffee bars, imported goods and seemingly never-ending house-price rises. The US economy has been through the pain, while things seem OK now Australia is due to go through the exact same thing.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5174|Sydney
What are the LNP going to do instead? Ford already received a bailout and they still went under. Would the LNP provide further welfare?

I know someone who works fairly high up in the building industry in Brisbane and has for quite some time. He said construction projects have worsened since the LNP took government last year. Ironic, since Newman is mates with the building industry and his wife's family own a construction business.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
The LNP has cut out the unsustainable borrow-to-spend philosophy.
You can't run an economy borrowing to spend on unproductive assets either, maybe the LNP will cut the hospital and arena we're building here and no doubt there will be a lot of whining.
Jaekus
+957|5174|Sydney
They cut 14,000 jobs from the economy, gave the turf club $115,000,000. In the last week they gave themselves a 41% payrise whilst simultaneously taking the public service to court for a 2.5% payrise that was part of their working conditions.

Sounds like they're really cutting money in the right areas to redistribute it where it matters.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6670|Canberra, AUS
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/ju … protection

will probably win votes but... what the everloving fuck is this?
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Rudd is getting runs on the board, Abbott is looking like a gawking muppet with his 'trust us, we'll think stuff up after you vote for us' spiel.

Rudd's strategy is flawed though, pretty hard to send someone back when they've burnt their passport and Iran won't accept them back full stop.
Its not a bad idea though, live free in PNG or go home, I bet it will cut the economic migrants right down.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4250
weren't you an economic migrant?
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6712

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

economic refugee more like.

trollbert bitches about boat people. you know asylum seekers.

Funny thing is brits, yanks and chinese are the highest group of people who remain in australia illegally.

STOP THE PLANES NOT THE BOATS.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4250
ah yes, but the white man has a natural right to a life of luxury and privilege. a global passport.
Jaekus
+957|5174|Sydney
It really bothers me that the number one political issue in this country is a handful of refugees arrive by boat each year and a small number of those are potentially illegal immigrants. As if there aren't other much more pressing issues to be tackling.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6712

Jaekus wrote:

It really bothers me that the number one political issue in this country is a handful of refugees arrive by boat each year and a small number of those are potentially illegal immigrants. As if there aren't other much more pressing issues to be tackling.
its to win the bogan votes. kinda like the polish bashing they have in the UK
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Steve-0
Karma limited. Contact Admin to Be Promoted.
+214|3955|SL,UT

build a border fence around your country
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6712
Shadow defence minister wants cruise missiles

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-na … 2hmjj.html

"We need 100 patrol boats, a bit bigger than the conventional patrol boats ... built to take six cruise missiles and have interception capacity."

"The missiles would purely be for defensive purposes, he said."

Lol defensive purposes. Sure.

Last edited by Cybargs (2013-07-19 08:37:08)

Jaekus
+957|5174|Sydney
Typical LNP drivel. Haven't got enough money for health, infrastructure and want to privatise education but miraculously there's billions available to build unnecessary defences.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4250

Cybargs wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

its to win the bogan votes. kinda like the polish bashing they have in the UK
the polish bashing kind of died out in 2008. that was more a reaction to the new states joining the EU. sort of expected, in a knee-jerk way. we had the same rhetoric in our working-class press lately about the romanians, the latest EU newcomers. that sort of thing is kind of standard fare, really: fear of the other, insecurity about jerbs, etc. most polish i know here are pretty well-settled now and nobody really complains about them. certainly not a political flashing-point.
Jaekus
+957|5174|Sydney
It's pathetic how the bogan vote is considered the swing vote here. I guess popularity is always about appealing to the lowest common denominator though.

Oh well, another lifetime down the track and hopefully we've evolved a bit further.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6712

Jaekus wrote:

Typical LNP drivel. Haven't got enough money for health, infrastructure and want to privatise education but miraculously there's billions available to build unnecessary defences.
I think he wants to build frigates as "patrol boats"

We currently have 12. We have 14 other smaller patrol boats, bringing a total of 26. I doubt this dickhead is going to increase the size of our navy 5 fold. Only reasonable idea was implementing drones for surveillance.

zique: least it died down in 2008. were still on about "er mah gerd boat people" who aren't even a real migration issue, its an asylum issue and our PM is handling it poorly.
Jaekus
+957|5174|Sydney
On another note it's good to finally see some of the microscope finally being directed at Abbott. He's seemingly just blithely cruised through without any solid criticism for years now. Whilst the LNP are playing down any contest from a Turnbull leadership spill I can't help but think it's a big talking point behind closed doors.

Last edited by Jaekus (2013-07-19 08:48:10)

BVC
+325|6691

Cybargs wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

We currently have 12. We have 14 other smaller patrol boats, bringing a total of 26. I doubt this dickhead is going to increase the size of our navy 5 fold. Only reasonable idea was implementing drones for surveillance.

zique: least it died down in 2008. were still on about "er mah gerd boat people" who aren't even a real migration issue, its an asylum issue and our PM is handling it poorly.
About twice the size of our entire navy, which is pretty damned shameful for us, and something I'd love to correct.

If I were PM of NZ I'd be laying the finances for an ice-strengthened navy;- min. 6 frigates/destroyers+UCAVs just for us (local production still cheaper than EU/US even competes with China despite the labour cost) plus whatever Australia wants to throw in to protect our shared future interest; that being Antarctica.  Northern hemisphere GTFO.
Jaekus
+957|5174|Sydney
You've got the Haka. You don't need a navy
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6712

BVC wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

About twice the size of our entire navy, which is pretty damned shameful for us, and something I'd love to correct.

If I were PM of NZ I'd be laying the finances for an ice-strengthened navy;- min. 6 frigates/destroyers+UCAVs just for us (local production still cheaper than EU/US even competes with China despite the labour cost) plus whatever Australia wants to throw in to protect our shared future interest; that being Antarctica.  Northern hemisphere GTFO.
Well both our nations don't really need a navy besides border protection...

ANZUS is pretty nice. Except we got greenie weenies who get pissy when US brings in nuclear armed.powered ships.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

Legal economic migrant.

Jaekus wrote:

If there weren't reasonable barriers there would be a flood of people.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2013-07-19 21:38:14)

Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6712

Dilbert_X wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

Legal economic migrant.

Jaekus wrote:

If there weren't reasonable barriers there would be a flood of people.
lol trollbert. you know the highest rate of illegal immigrants in Australia flew here by plane?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Sure, and if the barriers were removed the the highest number would come here by boat.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard