Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6707

Dilbert_X wrote:

Ty wrote:

Australia proved unequivocally through the last three years that it is not mature enough to have a female leader. Misogyny rants may have not done Gillard any favours but the truth of what she is saying is undeniable. While she was PM:

- Australia escaped nearly unscathed from the Global Financial Crisis, (Deputy PM under Rudd and as PM.)
- Australia maintained continued growth, (through the GFC,)
- Australia maintained low unemployment, (through the GFC,)
- Australia gained a AAA credit rating from all ratings agencies.
- Australia was rated "highest standard of living" by the OECD for two years in a row.
Thats hardly Gillard's personal doing though, or Labor's, or the Coalition's, thats the culmination of the last 40 years plus the growth of China.
Yeah I'd have to agree with dilbs over here about the economic aspect.

Gillard does take a lot of flak over nothing though, but gonski reform is really fucking over the unis. Bitches concentrate way too much on "OMG DEFICIT" when our economy is fine.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6097|eXtreme to the maX
That and the banks not making stupid investments - again nothing whatever to do with the govt.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5170|Sydney

Dilbert_X wrote:

No-one I know could have cared less that Gillard is a woman, ranting on-and-on about misogyny got boring quickly, blokes are tired of women pulling the woman-card.
And yet all the media could ever focus on was her gender.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6144|what

Well at least the media will stop calling for a Rudd challenge every week.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6766|Noizyland

Dilbert_X wrote:

Thats hardly Gillard's personal doing though, or Labor's, or the Coalition's, thats the culmination of the last 40 years plus the growth of China.

Cybargs wrote:

I agree too, my point is that there was really no reason to complain. Certainly not to the extent there was.

Every time I saw someone say something like "worst government/PM in Australian history" I wanted to get in their face and demand to know how they qualified that opinion. There is economic and social advantages in Australia that most of the world can only dream of as well as a proactive government putting through good policy to benefit everyone. And people kept saying such dumb things while the media was obsessed over idiotic matters like leadership and the PM's gender.

AussieReaper wrote:

That is a relief.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6766|Noizyland

Joe Hockey just started the next round of Labor leadership speculation. Gotta love him.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6707
Worst gubment eva ditch the witch go ruddkips
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Ty wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

I agree too, my point is that there was really no reason to complain. Certainly not to the extent there was.

Every time I saw someone say something like "worst government/PM in Australian history" I wanted to get in their face and demand to know how they qualified that opinion. There is economic and social advantages in Australia that most of the world can only dream of as well as a proactive government putting through good policy to benefit everyone. And people kept saying such dumb things while the media was obsessed over idiotic matters like leadership and the PM's gender.
Politics and the media seem to be centres of misogyny.

As for the rest of it, you're arguing that things unconnected with immediate govt policy - the overall economy, the stability of the big four banks etc are an indication the govt was doing well. You might as well praise Gillard for the absence of meteorite impacts in Australia for the last 3 years - no meteorite impacts -> we shouldn't complain about the govt?

Pretty well everything the govt had an actual hand in controlling policy on, from asylum seekers to the fiscal deficit, has been an utter disaster.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

AussieReaper wrote:

And with Gillard out of politics they can't call for a Gillard challenge.

I bet she regrets challenging Rudd to stand down if he lost, only to have it flicked straight back at her. Funny that a crude vindictive bit of short-termism blew up in her face, as have so many things she's done.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6766|Noizyland

Dilbert_X wrote:

Ty wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

Politics and the media seem to be centres of misogyny.

As for the rest of it, you're arguing that things unconnected with immediate govt policy - the overall economy, the stability of the big four banks etc are an indication the govt was doing well. You might as well praise Gillard for the absence of meteorite impacts in Australia for the last 3 years - no meteorite impacts -> we shouldn't complain about the govt?

Pretty well everything the govt had an actual hand in controlling policy on, from asylum seekers to the fiscal deficit, has been an utter disaster.
That's not a fair judgement especially when you pretty much contradict yourself. You say that the Government isn't responsible for economic stability but then essentially claim they are responsible for asylum seekers - this about a week after a UN report noted that the number of displaced people in the world is the highest it has been in 20 years and that Australia's asylum seeker intake is comparatively very small.

By the way that is not a defence of Labor's asylum seeker policy, I think it's crap. The Coalition's is worse of course but that doesn't excuse Labor.

And fiscal deficit are you kidding me? Labor may have shot itself well and truly in the foot with its repeated "there will be a surplus" claims but fiscal irresponsibility is not one of their crimes. Abbott and Hockey may stamp and chant about how horrendous a $19b deficit is but all economist furrow their brows and wonder what the fuss is about. $19b is not a terrible result, in fact by many counts it is a positive, especially considering it represents a slashing of the fiscal deficit of more than 50% in one year. I'm pretty sure Howard never made up over $20b in one year.

And there is a difference between wasteful spending and investment, let's not forget that. For the record, wasteful spending = Howard. Not Rudd and not Gillard.

Anyway I've had far too much whisky to get into economics, it's not my strong suit at the best of times.

Edit: I just realized how dumb my first argumennwas. Ignore me. Sleep now.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
The majority of 'asylum seekers' are anything but though here. They wouldn't be heading this way if the govt hadn't messed around so much with the system - so yes it is in the hands of the govt.

It doesn't matter that Australias has a deficit - during the biggest boom in history - if other countries have bigger deficits? I don't buy that argument.
I don't agree that Rudd/Gillards spending wasn't wasteful either, much of it has been.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6766|Noizyland

Not according to pretty much every economist.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Are these the same economists who say it doesn't matter how big your deficit it as long as someone else has a bigger one (deficit)?

If you're running a deficit its more important to be spending the money you're borrowing productively than if you're running a surplus, IMO.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

Spark wrote:

did lol

That looks shopped with the pixels and everything.
BVC
+325|6687
Very unusual to see a PM return to power anywhere.

When he was ousted I got the impression it was basically a backstab, and every time I've seen something about a Rudd vs Gillard scrap in the last three months I've gotten the impression that Rudd has been biding his time, toeing the line but waiting for Gillard to fuck up so he can step back in smiling like a cheshire cat - is that pretty much whats happened?
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6672|Disaster Free Zone
Yes, except the 'backstab' part.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6666|Canberra, AUS
so using the state-by-state poll results over the last few days gives you this...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/elections/fe … p;ocon=nat

and the libs are already getting unsettled. this got interesting again as a contest.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
KuSTaV
noice
+947|6503|Gold Coast
I dont really understand how that works... basically does it show that since Rudd is PM, the polls show that Labor may win more seats? I dont know how it all determines that.
noice                                                                                                        https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/awsmsanta.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
The coalition has already realised its made a boob driving Labor to unseat Gillard.
Now they, and the press, are panicking and in full attack/rant mode against Rudd.

I'll laugh my ass off if Rudd wins the election - which he could do - then cry into my tax return.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2013-06-29 17:31:04)

Spark
+874|6666|Canberra, AUS

KuSTaV wrote:

I dont really understand how that works... basically does it show that since Rudd is PM, the polls show that Labor may win more seats? I dont know how it all determines that.
state-by-state breakdown. there are a ton of marginal seats in queensland that it wouldn't take that much for labor to win.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
KuSTaV
noice
+947|6503|Gold Coast
Ah righto... I always thought that the LNP had a tight hold on QLD... maybe thats just the state politics that I'm getting confused with.
noice                                                                                                        https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/awsmsanta.png
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5170|Sydney
From what I recall they've got 85% of the seats but at last election it was around 49% of the primary vote.
Spark
+874|6666|Canberra, AUS

KuSTaV wrote:

Ah righto... I always thought that the LNP had a tight hold on QLD... maybe thats just the state politics that I'm getting confused with.
that's the thing - they do. they hold so many qld seats that it's not really feasible for them to all remain lnp if there's any sort of notable swing towards labor in queensland.
~ Richard Feynman
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6766|Noizyland

Dilbert_X wrote:

Are these the same economists who say it doesn't matter how big your deficit it as long as someone else has a bigger one (deficit)?
No, they're the economists who look at the big picture rather than one indicator. The kind who take into account GDP, deficit/debt, investment, interest rates, and other factors which leads them to conclude that not only is a $19b deficit small comparatively, it is also fairly insignificant in terms of rating the success or failure of the Government or the state of the economy. Essentially the only thing the Government failed to do in the budget was live up to their own lofty promises - again, let it not be said that the ALP doesn't have a certain fondness for shooting itself in the foot.

Anyway moving on, I hate talking economics.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I disagree.

At what point will the coalition realise that campaigning to replace Gillard was a red-herring - they should have been campaigning to replace Abbott?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard