Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6621|Little Bentcock
you never did send me that case
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6104|eXtreme to the maX

Jaekus wrote:

Won a bottle of Penfold's Grange at work today.
Penfolds is walking distance from here, let me know if its really worth it.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5176|Sydney
I'm going to cellar it for around 20 years, doubt if the forum will still be here then.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4252
lol cellar wine for 20 years. you're a salesman not an aesthete. fucking down it, pussy.
Jaekus
+957|5176|Sydney

Dilbert_X wrote:

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4252
be honest: would you have put a wine bottle in a cellar for 20 years before starting your phone-sales job? stop being a nob. DOWN IT FRESHER.
Jaekus
+957|5176|Sydney
I've been cellaring wine for two years already.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Unless you're buying at gate prices and laying down 50+ cases I don't think there's a lot of value in putting it in a 'wine cellar' - which usually means a rented locker in a tunnel somewhere.

Let someone else take the punt and buy what actually turns out to mature well 20 years later.

Unless you own a vineyard or tunnel.
Jaekus
+957|5176|Sydney
Cellaring simply means controlled conditions of constant temperature and lack of light. It's not rocket science. In 20 years time I will have a much developed palate compared to what I have now and this will allow me to appreciate the experience all the more, doubly so when all the secondary characteristics have had time to develop and come through.

For a couple of seemingly intelligent people you both are being somewhat obtuse in your understanding of what is a simple concept.

Last edited by Jaekus (2013-06-24 04:29:08)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5356|London, England
I just threw up in my mouth a little.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jaekus
+957|5176|Sydney
Giving back handed compliments is edgy around these parts.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4252

Jaekus wrote:

In 20 years time I will have a much developed palate compared to what I have now and this will allow me to appreciate the experience all the more, doubly so when all the secondary characteristics have had time to develop and come through.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/ … NTCMP=SRCH

your sense of taste will change as you get older, but as for becoming "more developed" in a qualified sense - no. the idea that putting a half-decent bottle of wine away for 20 years so you can "appreciate" it more has little to nothing to do with actual taste. it may be something intangible to do with the sense of expectation and 'importance' you assign to the wine, but the idea that 20 years' worth of wine-tasting 'experience' will make you more 'trained' is pretty much pretentious bullshit - stuff peddled to sell exactly the sort of expensive wine that you shill yourself.

it's a bottle of wine, not a great work of literature. 20 years of drinking won't help you appreciate it more in any provable way.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-06-24 05:09:07)

PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6189|Roma
or when you get really desperate, at least you have a cellar full of wine
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6322|Graz, Austria

PrivateVendetta wrote:

Or vinegar.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

it's a bottle of wine, not a great work of literature.
Ha ha.
Jaekus
+957|5176|Sydney

globefish23 wrote:

PrivateVendetta wrote:

Or vinegar.
The chance of wine oxidating when stored correctly is extremely remote. Even TCA is now down to around an average of 1% worldwide.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4252
you could read books for 20 years, acquire knowledge and a sense of style, and come back to a book you read 5, 10, or 20 years before and 're-appraise' it, or 're-appreciate' it. that's because books carry meaning - actual content - and involve knowledge (whether its plainly cognitive/factual or a sort of cultural accretion). a bottle of wine is something you taste, purely sensual, based on that most subjective of all senses. it's like saying if you rub surfaces for 20 years with your hands you'll have a finer touch for appreciating the texture of gravel. it doesn't make any sense. there's nothing intellectual about it.

a bottle of wine is not a work of art. there is nothing to contemplate except fleeting subjective impressions. you could read ulysses, not get it, go away and read for 5 years on the architecture of dublin, the history of the irish, the culture of the early 20th century, and come back with a much richer appreciation for the original work. you couldn't do that with wine. it's nonsense.
Jaekus
+957|5176|Sydney
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4252
" "

pretentious. store your wine so you can bore all of your friends with the details of its taste in 20 years.
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6322|Graz, Austria
Wine making is craftsmanship.

The real artist is the Vitis species that grew the berries.
Humans just harvest and mush them, leave it for fermentation by Saccharomyces (other artists), as well as bottle and cork it.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4252
never said wine making wasn't a craft. i said it's bullshit that someone's taste will 'develop' in 20 years so they can 'appreciate' a drink more. a) it's subjective, b) your taste isn't a faculty that improves progressively, like some sort of knowledge or memory.
Tripulaci0n
+14|6154
i got herpes.... FROM A GIRL!!! it was awesome
bennisboy
+829|6644|Poundland

Tripulaci0n wrote:

i got herpes.... FROM A GIRL!!! it was awesome
Grats bro. Now you're a real man!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard