Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England
And you forget Uzi, I read one your papers as well, and was completely underwhelmed. You make over-ample use of your thesaurus and fill your sentences with nothing but air. Maybe some professors are impressed by your bludgeoning, and overwhelmed with the prospect of having to actually read the trash you produce, but from what I read, it was perfectly representative of your personality. Completely empty of substance with an over-abundance of peacock-like style attempting to distract the reader and mask how shallow you really are.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4224
i've read probably 25+ books of serious hardcore philosophy/criticism on hegel. i've spent 4 years studying a discipline where almost all thought is underpinned by the framework of the likes of the ancient greeks/kant/rousseau/nietzsche/hegel/marx etc. hegel is a huge figure in the humanities, way beyond the elementary school political theory you engaged him on. so yeah, i've read and wrote on hegel or post-hegelian thought, and demonstrated examined work/essays that have been graded at a 3.9+GPA. i 'get' hegel.

the difference is that none of us are creating silly d&st threads to humble-brag on our recent reading into pop-science, or any other extra-curricular interest. your hegel thread was a big 'look what i've been reading! here i'm going to condense my thoughts out loud and if you guys have anything to say, i guess that's k'. it was transparent. none of us create threads about engineering. you invite this teasing upon yourself. and so you don't really have a point. you put yourself 'out there', professing to know a lot more than you do. none of us have ever claimed to have some advanced engineering knowledge. nor have we, subsequently, said that engineering is easy/garbage. we aren't arrogant like that. but that is exactly what you do about every area of knowledge/topic/profession that isn't your own. you absolutely can't bear it that some people may be more well-read or intellectual than you. you should get a diary. just a thought.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4224

Jay wrote:

And you forget Uzi, I read one your papers as well, and was completely underwhelmed. You make over-ample use of your thesaurus and fill your sentences with nothing but air. Maybe some professors are impressed by your bludgeoning, and overwhelmed with the prospect of having to actually read the trash you produce, but from what I read, it was perfectly representative of your personality. Completely empty of substance with an over-abundance of peacock-like style attempting to distract the reader and mask how shallow you really are.
sorry but i'll take the marking and assessment expertise of 20+ world-leading academics through a 4 year period over a dumb-as-fuck naval academy graduate who thinks i am "peacocking". was good enough for oxford admissions and my academic supervisor there, too, when i submitted written samples. it really breaks my heart though that it doesn't meet the Jay Standard.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-05-23 16:34:46)

Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4224
"i thought the great gatsby film was way greater than the book"
- an eminent intellectual
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Jay wrote:

Have to remember its a Baz Luhrman movie so it's not for people like [                 ].
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4224
Lol
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Kimmmmmmmmmmmm wrote:

at the theater i had a hard time choosing a flick to watch, really nothing on i want to see.. but no need to defend tom cruise.. i try to put up movies i *think* would relate to the bf2s audience..  action related...

anyone see this one? Mud http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1935179/ heh  the choices at the theater right now im not happy about.... Reese Witherspoon caused this one to not get any advertising, 'don't you know who i am?'
I like Tom Cruise just fine. I just thought Jack Reacher didn't quite mesh. I haven't seen Oblivion yet and to be honest, am looking forward to The Man from U.N.C.L.E. more.

Never heard of Mud.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5555

i have yet to see any of the hangover movies based solely on my dislike of zach galifianakis. am i missing anything?
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
no
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6654|United States of America
The only "good" one is the first one. I only saw maybe half of it just because it was so damn stupid. Stupid stupid. I can tolerate a dumb movie, but there's a goddamn limit.

For some reason I enjoy stoner comedies much more than drunk comedies, too.

Jay wrote:

Most teachers use the same lesson plan for twenty years.
say what? you actin cray cray maaan

yeeah i have a feeling this Hangover is meant for rental purposes.   

moonraker arrived today  007 you're up next
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6660|Tampa Bay Florida

Jay wrote:

I know A LOT of teachers, and I wouldn't trust the vast majority of them with educating my children if given the choice, even though they are my friends.
Wow man sounds like you've got some shitty friends
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

sorry but i'll take the marking and assessment expertise of 20+ world-leading academics through a 4 year period over a dumb-as-fuck naval academy graduate who thinks i am "peacocking". .
You've succeeded in regurgitatiing the opinion they want to hear, ie their own, thats hardly an achievement.
went to a school that charged $60,000 a year. do you think the teachers there were lousy?
Me too, the teachers were uniformly lousy.

In my experience the only useful teachers are those who have a good amount of real world experience in their field behind them, not a life spent learning to regurgitate groupthink.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2013-05-24 02:25:37)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6679|England. Stoke

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

"i thought the great gatsby film was way greater than the book"
- an eminent intellectual
I read that post at the start of browsing this thread and therefore couldn't take anything said subsequently, seriously...
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4224

Dilbert_X wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

sorry but i'll take the marking and assessment expertise of 20+ world-leading academics through a 4 year period over a dumb-as-fuck naval academy graduate who thinks i am "peacocking". .
You've succeeded in regurgitatiing the opinion they want to hear, ie their own, thats hardly an achievement.
went to a school that charged $60,000 a year. do you think the teachers there were lousy?
Me too, the teachers were uniformly lousy.

In my experience the only useful teachers are those who have a good amount of real world experience in their field behind them, not a life spent learning to regurgitate groupthink.
actually my work is original, thanks. fucking idiot.

also "real world experience"? how the hell does a history teacher gain "real world experience"? you want him to go fight in a medieval battle or something? join a re-enactment society? "today kids i am going to be teaching you about the atlantic slave trade... which is fortunate, because i've just come back from a 6 month vacation, being a slave". the only experience that most kinds of teacher needs to benefit his students is experience/training in teaching and instruction. i don't need an iraq vet to teach me macbeth, thanks.

christ some things you say are fucking stupid. you and jay should get together and write a book. 'the engineers guide to being a successful intellectual'.

oh and i still don't believe you went to a public school. so far everything you've said about it has reeked of bs. with a surprising lack of any fact or reference at all. other than the "me too, and it sucked lol" talk.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-05-24 03:26:54)

DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6651|Disaster Free Zone

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

how the hell does a history teacher gain "real world experience"?
https://ilarge.listal.com/image/2196723/936full-indiana-jones-and-the-raiders-of-the-lost-ark-screenshot.jpg
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5969|...
Look, I'd love to bore you all to death with theorists like clausewitz, collier and kilcullen, quoting my essays and marks too but I doubt any of you are interested in the intricacies of conflict and war or my academic performance. As for grading and having a 'top of the class' GPA being proof of your grand intellectual capacity - sorry but that's a load of shit. All it really proves is that you have some rudimentary academic competence in your field of study. If you're 'in training' at a university your education won't provide you the time and leeway to produce truly original, quality work. 90%+ of it will consist of covering old ground, reiterating and compiling other academics' input and opinions with maybe a paragraph or two, three of your own conclusions and work. Which is fine, as the entire point of a university education is simply to bring your reasoning and knowledge within a certain field up to an acceptable level. And that bar isn't set terribly high, really. From that point on (IF you choose to continue working within the field) it will take many years, maybe even decades of hard work until you actually 'prove your worth' - producing something that is definitely worth publishing and reading. Some people still never do.

That goes for you too uzi. Maybe 10, 20 years from now when you've written a few books will I care for your 'excellent academic resumé' and acknowledge the achievement. By that time though this forum will be long dead and I hope none of you idiots will feel the need to constantly engage in glorified dick measurement contests on internet fora anymore.
inane little opines
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5555

Shocking wrote:

Look, I'd love to bore you all to death with theorists like clausewitz, collier and kilcullen, quoting my essays and marks too but I doubt any of you are interested in the intricacies of conflict and war or my academic performance. As for grading and having a 'top of the class' GPA being proof of your grand intellectual capacity - sorry but that's a load of shit. All it really proves is that you have some rudimentary academic competence in your field of study. If you're 'in training' at a university your education won't provide you the time and leeway to produce truly original, quality work. 90%+ of it will consist of covering old ground, reiterating and compiling other academics' input and opinions with maybe a paragraph or two, three of your own conclusions and work. Which is fine, as the entire point of a university education is simply to bring your reasoning and knowledge within a certain field up to an acceptable level. And that bar isn't set terribly high, really. From that point on (IF you choose to continue working within the field) it will take many years, maybe even decades of hard work until you actually 'prove your worth' - producing something that is definitely worth publishing and reading. Some people still never do.

That goes for you too uzi. Maybe 10, 20 years from now when you've written a few books will I care for your 'excellent academic resumé' and acknowledge the achievement. By that time though this forum will be long dead and I hope none of you idiots will feel the need to constantly engage in glorified dick measurement contests on internet fora anymore.
very interesting. Keep us updated
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5969|...
thx

I'll do my best
inane little opines
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5555

Take it to the college thread
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4224
shocking i don't think you have any idea what you're talking about. speak for yourself please. it is perfectly possible for people at postgraduate level to produce original work. work that is encouraged for publishing precisely because it contributes something new. perhaps not a 'new idea' on the scale of a grand theory like hegel's, but certainly a new and fresh contribution. i am one of them. i am far from unique. please tell me more about how you understand the academic world though, from your vantage as a bottom-feeding undergraduate. i'm sure you have it all figured out.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-05-24 07:37:52)

Ultrafunkula
Hector: Ding, ding, ding, ding...
+1,975|6443|6 6 4 oh, I forget

Some weird ass movie reviews in here...
Brasso
+1,549|6600

Ultrafunkula wrote:

Some weird ass movie reviews in here...
yeah every fucking thread is some form of unrelated debate so i just pop in, confirm that it's a debate, and leave. sad really
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
star wars 5 and 6 are pretty even and easily the best
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5555

please refer to their subtitles since numbering them are be misunderstood

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard