Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4247

Macbeth wrote:

So since the Boston bombers were not connected to any terrorist network their crimes were hate crimes? I think labeling this a terrorist attack is fair since the guy gave political reasons as to why he killed the victim. An EDL member stabbing someone because of they are a different race isn't the same as trying to force political change through violence.

I have heard this 'Why is X not terrorism' argument a bunch of times from American Muslims. While I sympathize with their situation, they have to at least admit that politically motivated attacks are just different than someone deciding to string up a nigger
what? an EDL member stabbing someone isn't connected to political reasons? or "political change"? do you even know what the EDL are? what they want? of course fascist far-right organizations are political. they're not anti-islamic in a pure ideological or racial sense. they hate islam precisely for the reason that it is (supposedly) 'changing the shape of britain/europe'. it is completely political. they are a sister-organization (arguably the new ascendant power) of the british national party.

it really confuses me how a muslim attack of any scale/severity is "terrorism", but then racially or politically aggravated crimes/abuse/violence from another angle is just the old-fashioned 'hate crime'. with all due respect, the boston bombing is of a whole other order of magnitude to some people crashing into a soldier and stabbing him to death.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-05-23 15:59:15)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5351|London, England
It doesn't destroy them, it makes them wealthier. Nothing more useless than land in upstate New York right now. Being able to sell their useless property to gas companies is a nice windfall for them.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

Meanwhile in Washington...

e: misposted this in the science thread. could've left it there for engineering, but bleh
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6732|Toronto | Canada

engineering ain't science. we can be elitist too

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

Winston_Churchill wrote:

engineering ain't science. we can be elitist too

What is engineering science?

Anyway I heard on the radio that engineers were trying to puzzle out what happened. I think some of those photos look a bit...rusty.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5578

Yeah I like how people who work in IT pick up the "science is the greatest" thing even though they really don't produce anything and aren't conducting research and doing experiments.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

What?
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6615|Little Bentcock
exactly
13/f/taiwan
+940|5691
Seems like the new Iranian President will be very close with Khamenei. They already disqualified Rafsanjani and Mashaei.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5578

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Some buddies tried to get me in on some anti-Obama furor over this. I just asked them what Republican legislation has been doing all these years.
Well, I'm split on it. If someone from the white house was using the government to attack political enemies then I see it as wrong. But if it was just some people in the IRS acting alone I don't think it is a big deal. Does it surprise anyone that the part of the government the Tea Party wants to get rid of decided to take steps to protect itself?

As I said before, I think people are really bored of the GOP scandal machine especially when something as cringe worthy as this happens during the congressional hearing.
Just before Lois Lerner invoked her Fifth Amendment right not to answer questions in front of a House committee investigating wrongdoing in the IRS tax-exempt office she ran, she gave an opening statement insisting her innocence.

"I have not done anything wrong. I have not broken any laws. I have not violated any IRS rules and regulations," said Lerner at the hearing. She has since been placed on administrative leave.

But that statement angered Republican House Oversight Committee Chairman Darrell Issa and others on the committee, causing him Thursday to threaten to recall Lerner and force her to answer his questions, believing she had, in fact, waived her constitutional rights.

"She just testified. She just waived her Fifth Amendment right to privilege," South Carolina Republican Rep. Trey Gowdy, a former federal prosecutor, said to applause during Wednesday's hearing. "You don't get to tell your side of the story and then not be subjected to cross-examination. That's not the way it works."

Issa agreed.

"After consulting with counsel, Chairman Issa has concluded that Ms. Lerner's Fifth Amendment assertion is no longer valid. She remains under subpoena, the Committee is looking at recalling her for testimony," Oversight committee spokeswoman Becca Glover Watkins told CNN Thursday in a statement.
Constitutional scholars the world over have come out and said that the Congressman doesn't know what he is talking about and that she didn't waive anything. This is pretty embarrassing. As a country i mean.
13/f/taiwan
+940|5691
He won't be able to do anything about it. The guycunt just wants to look good for the cameras and draw on that moment when he is running for re-election.

Last edited by 13/f/taiwan (2013-05-23 22:12:08)

Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5578

I know. I'm just saying it is depressingly pathetic. I would actually be mad if it was Ted Cruz saying this. Christ do I hate that bastard based soley on the fact he looks like an anemic Joe McCarthy
13/f/taiwan
+940|5691
Politicians spit this type of nonsense everyday. I can find dozens of obscene quotes from officials currently sitting in office. I don't think it should come as a surprise.
13/f/taiwan
+940|5691
Ted Cruz, Feinstein, Rand Paul, Peter King, Trey Gowdy, Darrell Issa, James Inhofe

needs more democrats.

Last edited by 13/f/taiwan (2013-05-23 22:24:12)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6099|eXtreme to the maX

DesertFox- wrote:

It did strike me as strange that news outlets were calling it a "terrorist attack" when there was one guy killed by a couple others with a vague agenda at best. Hardly seemed like something that would have required Cameron to return to the UK for.
Their agenda was terror so its a terrorist attack.

Many of these attacks have been thwarted, in a few countries, and many haven't. There's a good deal more in the pipeline.
I'm glad they were shot at least, sometimes the Police get it right.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

Macbeth wrote:

Does it surprise anyone that the part of the government the Tea Party wants to get rid of decided to take steps to protect itself?
Getting rid of the taxation is a libertarian wet dream that will never come to pass.

Does anyone else think Lois Lerner sounds like a superhero's secret identity, or is that just Lois Lane?
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4247
"no taxation with representation!"
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

earlier:
https://i.imgur.com/kHkkOAv.jpg

Thanks, Obama!

back in March wrote:

Obama Pushes Plan to Build Roads and Bridges

President Obama came to the congested ocean port here on Friday to promote his plans to rebuild the nation’s “raggedy” roads, bridges, schools and other infrastructure with a marriage of public and private investment.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5578

I read an argument in the NYT that pointed out that the Japanese had high speed rail, French had cheaper nuclear energy, Germany had the best automobile roads in the world and so on etc.. The point they were trying to make was that the U.S. had nothing distinguishing or more advanced than any other comparable nation. In most cases we were behind. They only thing we have going for us is that our taxes are low. So our infrastructure is second rate but we can afford iPads.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4247
what's that speech from that mawkish us television show again? with lloyd from dumb and dumber having a rant? america is only the best at 3 things? let me find it

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-05-24 04:49:01)

Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5578

I agree with the point but God damn that show is one of the worst on T.V.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4247
never seen it. does seem to over-ham it a bit.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4247
number of incarcerated citizens per capita
number of adults who believe angels are real
and defense spending, where we spend more than the next 26 combined (25 of whom are allies)

liek omgggggggg
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5992|...

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

what's that speech from that mawkish us television show again? with lloyd from dumb and dumber having a rant? america is only the best at 3 things? let me find it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zqOYBabXmA
That last minute and a half makes me want to puke
inane little opines
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4247
american audiences need a money-shot.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard