Janus67
Tech God
+86|6608|Ohio, USA

JimKong wrote:

So which one should I get? Does it really matter, just any ol' 600W?
no, good lord I need to make some stickies.

The wattage of the power supply is not what matters, it is the peak wattage, the regulation, the construction, the capacitors, the amperes running through the different rails, and the deviation from the standard voltage.

To put it lightly, don't plan on spending any less than $75 on a decent power supply.  And don't take it lightly, as it is the most important part of your computer.

My trusted brands: (in no particular order)

Antec
PC Power and Cooling (#1 imho)
Enermax
Seasonic
Tagan
OCZ
Zippy
Fortron (FSP Group)
Sparkle

I have some more, but that is all I could think of at 2:30AM

Last edited by Janus67 (2006-05-26 23:38:05)

JimKong
+31|6655|Ohio
Ok, I'm looking at this one. I have no idea what the difference between 20+4 and 24 pin main connector is. Does anyone see any incapatabilities with the stuff I posted? I'm gonna send the order out Sunday night. I was going to wait a few months but this lag is getting out of hand.

EDIT: the new card I am looking at needs a +12V@20A.  Prolly gonna get the Aerocool ZeroDBA unless someone talks me out of it.

Last edited by JimKong (2006-05-27 11:10:36)

max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6581|NYC / Hamburg

no difference bbetween 20+4 and 24 if you want to use a 24 pin mobo (ATX 2.0)
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Janus67
Tech God
+86|6608|Ohio, USA
a 24 and 20+4 pin are exactly teh game, the only difference is that with older boards you only needed 20-pin connections so the extra 4 were able to be disconnected from the ATX connector, with the motherboard that you have a 20+4 or 24 will be fine.
slo5oh
+28|6674

Kmal1 wrote:

Clashing opinions.. I just dont know, I just dont want to build it myself and want one for under 1400... does anyone know where to go? And the preference is to be able to play on high settings.

+1 for anyone who can find one that plays on high settings and is under 1400$ please
[b]
If you want the power and speed of a custom built system but don't want to "assemble" it yourself there are options. 
#1 you can call around to local computer stores, tell them what you want and get price quotes.
or
#2 you find an online retailer that does custom systems for a reasonable price.  I know monarchcomputers.com does exactly this.  http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant … AllNemesis
Here I started pricing a system out (don't know if that link will work)... but you should get on opteron CPU.  You'll thank me later!
The 144 or 146 is the best value for a single core, and the 165 or 170 are your best bet in a dual core.  You're almost guaranteeing yourself the opteron CPU will overclock up to or eual to the top of the line FX chips.

I recommend:
antec sonata II (good power supply included)
opty 146 (or 170 for dual core)
2 gigs of ddr2 ram (the 250mhz speed will help as you overclock)
1 sata seagate drive (200, 300, 500, whatever you think you'll need) 3 seperate partitions C: is OS, D: is programs, E: is data
1 7900gt (although I hear they are having issues... so maybe even a 7800gt?)
NEC dvd-rw (model 3550)

motherboard??? eveyrone has their own opinions, but DFI makes very nice ones... just look at what you need.  If you don't need firewire you can save $50 by going with one of the lower ones... just make sure you're getting an Nforce 4 chipset.
I'm running a VERY inexpensive ECS board and I've made it work perfect, but if you don't know jack about computers you should stick with the most common (DFI) so when you have questions there are lots of techie geeks with the same board.

Check out that website you should be able to "build" a system for well under $1400 that will smoke all the alienware, dell, etc. custom systems in the $2000 price range. 
Janus67
Tech God
+86|6608|Ohio, USA

slo5oh wrote:

Kmal1 wrote:

Clashing opinions.. I just dont know, I just dont want to build it myself and want one for under 1400... does anyone know where to go? And the preference is to be able to play on high settings.

+1 for anyone who can find one that plays on high settings and is under 1400$ please
[b]
If you want the power and speed of a custom built system but don't want to "assemble" it yourself there are options. 
#1 you can call around to local computer stores, tell them what you want and get price quotes.
or
#2 you find an online retailer that does custom systems for a reasonable price.  I know monarchcomputers.com does exactly this.  http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant … AllNemesis
Here I started pricing a system out (don't know if that link will work)... but you should get on opteron CPU.  You'll thank me later!
The 144 or 146 is the best value for a single core, and the 165 or 170 are your best bet in a dual core.  You're almost guaranteeing yourself the opteron CPU will overclock up to or eual to the top of the line FX chips.

I recommend:
antec sonata II (good power supply included)
opty 146 (or 170 for dual core)
2 gigs of ddr2 ram (the 250mhz speed will help as you overclock)
1 sata seagate drive (200, 300, 500, whatever you think you'll need) 3 seperate partitions C: is OS, D: is programs, E: is data
1 7900gt (although I hear they are having issues... so maybe even a 7800gt?)
NEC dvd-rw (model 3550)

motherboard??? eveyrone has their own opinions, but DFI makes very nice ones... just look at what you need.  If you don't need firewire you can save $50 by going with one of the lower ones... just make sure you're getting an Nforce 4 chipset.
I'm running a VERY inexpensive ECS board and I've made it work perfect, but if you don't know jack about computers you should stick with the most common (DFI) so when you have questions there are lots of techie geeks with the same board.

Check out that website you should be able to "build" a system for well under $1400 that will smoke all the alienware, dell, etc. custom systems in the $2000 price range. 
the only thing off on your post is that you said to get DDR2 memory (not compatible with S939 processors) I think you meant PC4000 or DDR500 memory.
slo5oh
+28|6674

Janus67 wrote:

the only thing off on your post is that you said to get DDR2 memory (not compatible with S939 processors) I think you meant PC4000 or DDR500 memory.
thanks!
You are correct.  2 gigs DDR500 is what I ment to say... dunno what I was thinking!!  Since AMD doesn't support it yet I have not touched ddr2 yet!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard