Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4255
american undergrad education is generally regarded very lowly here, as being quite amateurish. foreign US students are advised that their undergrad degree content/work-load is more like our pre-uni exams (a-levels). 3,500 words as your longest piece of work is crazy. i had to produce that every single 2 weeks for non-examined term-papers.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6685|United States of America
I would expect you had to do something like that what with all the reading you did. I only had to write those sorts of papers for my history classes, whereas my science classes would require a scientific paper dealing with what I had been doing in lab. However, a fair amount of those classes also were rather exam-heavy and rarely assigned homework of any consequence. I had more free time at college than at any other point. High school was buttloads of busywork, but at university I only had to do weekly assignments/lab reports and do well on exams. Only one course had me in over my head, which was a genetics one that covered all I previously knew about the subject in the first week.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6717
my longest term paper was 3,000 words. apparently they encourage you to "compact your ideas" in aussieland. degrees here are 3 years but you can take on an extra honors year if you have good enough marks in your major.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4255
3,000 words is like a D&ST post for some people.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5358|London, England
My longest term paper/project ended up being about 70 pages.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4255
a lot of graphs and diagrams though in science papers.

also you know you're at the very pits of academia when they specify assignments in 'page-lengths'. that's like still being at high-school.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-05-08 15:44:27)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5358|London, England

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

a lot of graphs and diagrams though in science papers.

also you know you're at the very pits of academia when they specify assignments in 'page-lengths'. that's like still being at high-school.
The writeup portion of the project only took up maybe ten pages, the rest was all excel calculations, curve fits and line drawings. Still, it was a shitload of work, that one.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6106|eXtreme to the maX

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

american undergrad education is generally regarded very lowly here, as being quite amateurish. foreign US students are advised that their undergrad degree content/work-load is more like our pre-uni exams (a-levels). 3,500 words as your longest piece of work is crazy. i had to produce that every single 2 weeks for non-examined term-papers.
I've read MIT PhD papers which would barely pass as an undergraduate thesis in the UK, and a UK qualification pales into nothing compared with a German degree.

My Msc thesis was 10,000 words IIRC, plus graphs and pictures.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6717

Dilbert_X wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

I've read MIT PhD papers which would barely pass as an undergraduate thesis in the UK, and a UK qualification pales into nothing compared with a German degree.

My Msc thesis was 10,000 words IIRC, plus graphs and pictures.
Really. MIT PhD papers don't even match up to UK undergrad thesis. MIT. The best science school in the world. lol kk.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4255
you can't really compare german/french degrees to anglo-american ones, because their entire system and structure is different. not to mention that germany and france don't have a problem in divorcing people who do technical/practical degrees away from academia and the research-scene proper. they have prestigious 'polytechnics' or 'technical schools' that are just as good - if not better - at equipping people with real skills and real graduate employability. the essay styles and workload at those is different to their ancient/classical universities.

and then at the german/french 'high' academic institutions, their academic style is, again, very different to other western institutions. the 'continental tradition' comes into play, where essays and research are professionalized in a very different way to the UK-US axis. also their job occupation itself and training entails many different things. it's hard to say if it's 'harder' or not; french and german postgraduate education have really fallen in international repute/impact over the last 30-40 years or so.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5789|Catherine Black
I lost my keys but found them again
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6192|Roma
pay day
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png
Brasso
+1,549|6631

didn't have to do jury duty - apparently owning tickets to a baseball game for tomorrow was a good excuse
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6717|Riva, MD
Does that mean they rescheduled you or you just don't have to do it at all?
Brasso
+1,549|6631

_j5689_ wrote:

Does that mean they rescheduled you or you just don't have to do it at all?
they excused me totally, so i'm off for 3 years :3

i actually wanted to serve, but i paid for the tickets already so...bummer
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
13/f/taiwan
+940|5699

Brasso wrote:

didn't have to do jury duty - apparently owning tickets to a baseball game for tomorrow was a good excuse
bullshit.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6291|Washington St.
shop is done with my motorcycle. gonna pick it up tomorrow, just in time for summer
/northern hemisphere
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6717|Riva, MD
Last night I processed a veterinary specimen test requisition form for a dog named Happy Wang.  Another processor said he did one for a cat named Crackhead one time.  This job is gonna have some funny moments I think.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6717|Riva, MD
This felt like the longest week of my life between the dog thing, adjusting to the night shift some more, and having an anxiety attack this morning from all the changes and other crap my supervisor dumped on me that I'll be doing next week.

So glad it's all over with
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

Steam started without hedging about in limbo for two minutes.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6682|Disaster Free Zone

_j5689_ wrote:

This felt like the longest week of my life between the dog thing, adjusting to the night shift some more, and having an anxiety attack this morning from all the changes and other crap my supervisor dumped on me that I'll be doing next week.

So glad it's all over with
Until next week...
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Uzique wrote:

lol. don't even know how to respond to such idiocy.
Finally managed to silence Uzique.

https://i1.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/001/987/fyeah.jpg
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4255
lol. it's the way you're comparing the uk tourism industry to france's. like they are even comparable. paris is a very different place to visit as a tourist from london. most of france's most famous sights are products of the repubic, anyway. london's quaint tourist attractions are all regal.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

lol. it's the way you're comparing the uk tourism industry to france's. like they are even comparable. paris is a very different place to visit as a tourist from london. most of france's most famous sights are products of the repubic, anyway. london's quaint tourist attractions are all regal.
https://cdn2.swaggernewyork.com/media/2012/06/lindsay-lohan-gun-photo_521x356-521x288.jpg
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4255
sure is fine when a wheelchair-bound live-at-home lonely 40 something with a creaky heart that's going to kill him soon tells me to "kys".

take a deep breath of that summer breeze. ain't it wonderful.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard