13/f/taiwan
+940|5699
i have no idea how they can afford these places. i know people who make a good (nyc)salary yet stick to the outer-boroughs/suburbs and take the train or ferry to work. manhattan/downtown brooklyn are nice areas but i wouldn't want to live there unless i become wealthy.

Last edited by 13/f/taiwan (2013-05-11 13:01:11)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5358|London, England

13/f/taiwan wrote:

i have no idea how they can afford these places. i know people who make a good (nyc)salary yet stick to the outer-boroughs/suburbs and take the train or ferry to work. manhattan/downtown brooklyn are a nice area but i wouldn't want to live in it unless i become wealthy.
They don't want to live in the outer-boroughs or the suburbs though, they want that Williamsburg or Manhattan address. It's why they drove all the way out from Iowa They come out here with no money, and no job, but are completely image obsessed to the point that it obscures their judgement. You want the city experience? Move to Queens and buy a city ticket on the weekends or a metrocard. You might just be able to afford your rent AND eat. Novel concept.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4254

Jay wrote:

He's poor and trying to attain a certain zip code. Zero sympathy.
i was gonna say, most of the addresses he lists on that blog are in yuppie or upper-middle class areas.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4254

Jay wrote:

13/f/taiwan wrote:

i have no idea how they can afford these places. i know people who make a good (nyc)salary yet stick to the outer-boroughs/suburbs and take the train or ferry to work. manhattan/downtown brooklyn are a nice area but i wouldn't want to live in it unless i become wealthy.
They don't want to live in the outer-boroughs or the suburbs though, they want that Williamsburg or Manhattan address. It's why they drove all the way out from Iowa They come out here with no money, and no job, but are completely image obsessed to the point that it obscures their judgement. You want the city experience? Move to Queens and buy a city ticket on the weekends or a metrocard. You might just be able to afford your rent AND eat. Novel concept.
i'm sure it's for more than the zip code / status signifier / conversation point. a bunch of my graduate friends are paying 3x the rent they should be to live in london. it's the whole lifestyle. so what if it costs a lot more than necessary? you're in a driven environment, always lots going on, easy access to many things, etc. it's just the whole rat-race. playing the game. if you can snag a job that pays well enough to let you rent/invest at that level, why wouldn't you? everyone can live in the suburbs. not exactly a 'hot' place for a 20-something person to spend their decade. sitting on money and being prudent. yawn.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

Jay wrote:

13/f/taiwan wrote:

i'm sure it's for more than the zip code / status signifier / conversation point. a bunch of my graduate friends are paying 3x the rent they should be to live in london. it's the whole lifestyle. so what if it costs a lot more than necessary? you're in a driven environment, always lots going on, easy access to many things, etc. it's just the whole rat-race. playing the game. if you can snag a job that pays well enough to let you rent/invest at that level, why wouldn't you? everyone can live in the suburbs. not exactly a 'hot' place for a 20-something person to spend their decade. sitting on money and being prudent. yawn.
Except they can have the city experience outside of Brooklyn and Manhattan, but they choose not to. The other boroughs just aren't as trendy or prestigious enough for them. They want to be able to call their friends back home and tell them about all the exciting things they are doing in Brooklyn, and that just wouldn't have the same weight if they said they were living in Queens. It is 100% about status and wanting a certain zip code. It's why certain neighborhoods in Brooklyn require 4x the rent compared to comparable neighborhoods elsewhere. It's just a bunch of young, silly people trying to be self-important.

I hooked up with a girl in Manhattan one time that was dangling precariously from the very edges of the fashion industry in the hopes that she would get her big break. Went with her back to her apartment and there were ten girls living in a two bedroom apartment with a pair of bunk beds in each bedroom and another one in the living room. They were all so desperate for that Manhattan zip code and the illusion that they were making it that they lived like paupers on top of each other (literally). It was mildly disturbing (but she was a wild fuck, so worth it ).
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4254
well the 'trendy neighbourhood' thing isn't exclusive to young 20-somethings with flash corporate/media jobs and lots of disposable income. i'm pretty sure that's just how society sort of naturally fragments and coalesces. you get demographic/generational patterns like that. i expect they see you early 30-something home-savers and furniture collectors with just as much suspicion and bewilderment. they're having fun, they're living in neighbourhoods surrounded with likeminded people, and they enjoy a rich social/cultural scene as a result. what's the problem? you can't queef at trendy/fashionable young people for wanting to live in 'cool' neighbourhoods. you're hardly immune to caring about your status/house-value/image. you're living in a mock tudor house, are you not? superficially adorned and ornamented to convey a certain socio-economic and cultural class. but no, let's diss the "young silly people trying to feel important". you're just a decade or so ahead of them, so you think your shit don't stink your version of middle-class living and gentrification doesn't come with the spunk and loudness of 20-somethings, so you think it's more qualified.

do you hate the hasidics too? they exhibit the exact same sociological patterns

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-05-10 20:28:48)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6106|eXtreme to the maX

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

do you hate the hasidics too? they exhibit the exact same sociopathic patterns
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4254
dilbs, my man, you live at home. i think you're even less entitled to queef about young urban professionals' trendy/aspirational living habits than jay is. you can't call a socially active and cool 20-something "sociopathic", unfortunately.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I've yet to hear of a socially active and cool hasidic TBH.

Don't they have to dress up as if they were in medieval times?
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4254
at least they don't live in apartments that have fake daubed-up exteriors to look that way.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Five minute walk to the train and/or the main boulevard where all the restaurants, shops and bars are, and I couldn't get a two bedroom duplex with this much floor space or these beautiful floors elsewhere for this price range coupled with convenience elsewhere in the city. The exterior is common around here and hails from a certain era. I like it.

Now stop being such a bitch, you know those kids are morons. You can find night life and interesting people nearly anywhere, even in some parts of suburbia, what they seek is status and then whine about the price.
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4254
no they don't seek status. i know. i've lived in an expensive city area. i have many friends who do right now. i am of that age-bracket and demographic. but you're going to tell us why we seek to live in expensive rent areas, right? we're not all status obsessed materialists like you. young people like living in cool urban areas because of things like arts/culture/music scene, because of the local/certain nightlife (which no, you cannot find "pretty much anywhere", nightlife expert)that attracts likeminded and similar-career people. people choose to pay a premium to live in 'trendy' inner-city neighbourhoods because, most of all, it's FUN. every weekend there is things going on. it's fast-paced, it's exciting. not 'status symbols'. the only status symbols worth talking about in post-code terms in cities like london are post-codes for millionaires. you talk pure shit. i have no idea what your problem is with young people living in fashionable, hip neighbourhoods. that's precisely what young people do. it's what they've done for as long as urban living has been a thing. don't be pissed and bitter just because you spent your 20's being indecisive, dropping out college, and having to sit in a desert.

so funny. you talk about "these beautiful floors" and your home furnishings, as if anyone cares, but then berate young fashionable people for living in their neighbourhoods as "status symbols". and lol "the exterior hails from a certain era". yes, an inauthentic one. is that what qualifies for 'old' or a 'certain period' style in america? 19th-20th century that was daubed to look a few hundred years older? just face it: you are obsessed with status just as much, if not more, than these young folks. just your kind isn't 'hip', it's 'square'. you're playing the same game.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-05-11 10:54:17)

Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6739|Toronto | Canada

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

no they don't seek status. i know. i've lived in an expensive city area. i have many friends who do right now. i am of that age-bracket and demographic. but you're going to tell us why we seek to live in expensive rent areas, right? we're not all status obsessed materialists like you. young people like living in cool urban areas because of things like arts/culture/music scene, because of the local/certain nightlife (which no, you cannot find "pretty much anywhere", nightlife expert)that attracts likeminded and similar-career people. people choose to pay a premium to live in 'trendy' inner-city neighbourhoods because, most of all, it's FUN. every weekend there is things going on. it's fast-paced, it's exciting. not 'status symbols'. the only status symbols worth talking about in post-code terms in cities like london are post-codes for millionaires. you talk pure shit. i have no idea what your problem is with young people living in fashionable, hip neighbourhoods. that's precisely what young people do. it's what they've done for as long as urban living has been a thing. don't be pissed and bitter just because you spent your 20's being indecisive, dropping out college, and having to sit in a desert.

so funny. you talk about "these beautiful floors" and your home furnishings, as if anyone cares, but then berate young fashionable people for living in their neighbourhoods as "status symbols". and lol "the exterior hails from a certain era". yes, an inauthentic one. is that what qualifies for 'old' or a 'certain period' style in america? 19th-20th century that was daubed to look a few hundred years older? just face it: you are obsessed with status just as much, if not more, than these young folks. just your kind isn't 'hip', it's 'square'. you're playing the same game.
My apartment isn't a status symbol you ninny, it's just a nice place to live. It makes me happy when I come home after work.

Look, I mock these people for a very good reason. For the guys, it all boils down to sex. They're young, early to mid twenties and the goal for every guy of that age is to get laid. To get there, they think and act like shifty, where everything has to be exactly perfect before they can even make an attempt. They have to live in the right neighborhood in order to be seen as cool, they have to wear the right clothing for the same reasons. They don't realize that the women they are chasing look at them with pity rather than longing. Who wants to date a guy that spends all his money on rent, or crashes on his friends couch because he can't afford rent? Who wants to date a guy that has $5 in his pocket? It's not all about money, I'm not insinuating that women are that shallow, or that money trumps all, but being constantly broke and stressed out all the time gets old.

These people put themselves in this situation of their own volition, so when an idiot like the guy in the article starts a blog complaining about his search for housing, I don't feel sympathy. I don't automatically think to myself "Hey, Brooklyn needs more low income housing", I think to myself "What a tool." People of all stripes don't seem to get that you don't need a certain address to prove you have arrived in the world. You don't need a Brooklyn or LES address to announce to people that you are an artist, and you don't need a penthouse on the UES or a house in the Hamptons to tell the world that you are a stockbroker. I'm not singling out hipsters here, I think anyone that chases status symbols is incredibly shallow and, ultimately, self-loathing and insecure. Kind of like you.
-Frederick Bastiat
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6685|United States of America
https://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/060/840/ike_where_this_thread_is_going-vi.jpg
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4254
lol jay's apartment isn't a status symbol, it's a place he lives. but 20-something people who live in a different neighbourhood to him are definitely only living there for a status symbol. okay.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4254
lol what the fuck did i just read. jessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssus.
Roc18
`
+655|5791|PROLLLY PROLLLY PROLLLY

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

Shut up you hipster.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4254
it's funny cause you can call me a hipster all the time and totally miss your mark. but you'll be black every single day you wake up. and i can tell you hate it.
Roc18
`
+655|5791|PROLLLY PROLLLY PROLLLY

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

it's funny cause you can call me a hipster all the time and totally miss your mark. but you'll be black every single day you wake up. and i can tell you hate it.
The first humans were black. Everybody gotta little black in them.

I don't hate it.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4254
i think you have more than a little hipster in you

and i don't hate anything, hate speech is your thing. hipsters, gays, disabled people, autistic people... you have a long hit-list.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-05-11 13:03:24)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Roc18 wrote:

The first humans were black.
They were covered in hair too           B E F O R E   T H E Y   E V O L V E D.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

Dilbert_X wrote:

Roc18 wrote:

The first humans were black.
They were covered in hair too           B E F O R E   T H E Y   E V O L V E D.
So why are you still covered in hair?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Its a throwback to our savage african history, like canine teeth.
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6191|Roma
I left both of my iPhone chargers in Italy when I came home, had to buy a new cable for £12
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard