Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5991|...
Reminds me of WALL-E where the future human population are tubs of lard getting around on floating cinema seats
inane little opines
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5349|London, England

Shocking wrote:

I did say 'if', that was page 3 in the discussion or so and I wasn't sure if the population problems were already touched on. Reality is that there's no way people can be convinced en masse to settle for less without there being some very evident & immediate threat to provide the proper motivation.

I'm just wondering if we'll live to witness our impending doom by the middle of this century or if it will all end up being completely avoidable and that the scare will be seen as comical in retrospect a la thomas malthus and his prediction of global food shortage.
Modern day Malthusians are jackasses. The world was supposed to starve to death in the 70s according to them.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
I make my money off the environmental movement so I can't be TOO harsh
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5991|...

Jay wrote:

Modern day Malthusians are jackasses. The world was supposed to starve to death in the 70s according to them.
Their basic premise is pretty much an inevitability though and if future prospects are anything to go by they'll be right much sooner than anyone would like. Even the most conservative estimates see worldwide problems by the middle of this century.
inane little opines
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

Back on animal rights, here's a group with extensive video footage. Some of it's fairly sensationalist in tone, but they do a good job of exposing stupid stuff: Sharkonline.org - on youtube. I've posted one or two of their rodeo videos of facepalm-worthy cruel hick entertainment.

https://www.sharkonline.org/UP0000000385.png

I'm sure a few people here will get a laugh out of it, and maybe one or two will delight in the prospect of needless torment in slaughter, for meat or for fun:

So, ethical?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6097|eXtreme to the maX

Jay wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

i'm not talking about cow farts. i'm talking about industrial waste. i'm talking about the inefficiency of growing grain to feed animals that we don't need to be breeding/holding in such quantity, anyway. never once did i mention 'greenhouse gases' or 'global warming'.

and a country has to run a massive export/surplus every year in order to have a large meat industry? uuuh okay then. i guess i'll go tell the british beef industry that their whole industry is a sham.
No, but it means that we have the capacity for plenty and our diet reflects it. Food is cheap.
You know the Amazon is being cut down to supply America with beef?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4246

Dilbert_X wrote:

Jay wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

i'm not talking about cow farts. i'm talking about industrial waste. i'm talking about the inefficiency of growing grain to feed animals that we don't need to be breeding/holding in such quantity, anyway. never once did i mention 'greenhouse gases' or 'global warming'.

and a country has to run a massive export/surplus every year in order to have a large meat industry? uuuh okay then. i guess i'll go tell the british beef industry that their whole industry is a sham.
No, but it means that we have the capacity for plenty and our diet reflects it. Food is cheap.
You know the Amazon is being cut down to supply America with beef?
"perfectly sufficient, huge surpluses".
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4246

Jay wrote:

Shocking wrote:

I did say 'if', that was page 3 in the discussion or so and I wasn't sure if the population problems were already touched on. Reality is that there's no way people can be convinced en masse to settle for less without there being some very evident & immediate threat to provide the proper motivation.

I'm just wondering if we'll live to witness our impending doom by the middle of this century or if it will all end up being completely avoidable and that the scare will be seen as comical in retrospect a la thomas malthus and his prediction of global food shortage.
don't you mean the 1870's?
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4246

Jay wrote:

don't worry, you took money for a war you didn't believe in and went to college on a government grant to learn about libertarianism.

we forgive you.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Jay wrote:

It's completely sustainable, that's a non-issue. People eat meat because it's available and tasty. Veggies tend to be comparably priced to meat, and frankly, who in their right mind wants to live on salad? Vegetarianism is for vain women (and men) who would otherwise be anorexic or bulimic, or for those over-sensitive types that cry when they think of an animal being killed. Eat less meat? Sure, like EM said, it's about portion control, and a lot of people fail at that.
Yes, anyone who is vegetarian has some latent mental illness, good lord.

People eat a lot of meat because the meat marketing industry has convinced them its healthy and/or a status symbol.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

Jay wrote:

don't worry, you took money for a war you didn't believe in and went to college on a government grant to learn about libertarianism.

we forgive you.
I actually do good work, work that I enjoy. I conduct energy use audits for buildings and make recommendations that they have to follow to increase energy efficiency. Stuff like recommending light timers and occupancy sensors and making sure the heating and ventilation system meets energy star levels. Look up LEED on wiki. I do more to save the environment than the lot of you.
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
As for ethanol farming, the govt subsidising fuel production so dumbasses can drive everywhere in 10mpg behemoths is just as unethical.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6681|Tampa Bay Florida
haha you caught me
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4246
vegetables are comparatively priced to meat? i missed that little bit of crazy. over here some fresh meat/beef for a meal will cost 70% of the total meal cost.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4246

Jay wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

Jay wrote:

we forgive you.
I actually do good work, work that I enjoy. I conduct energy use audits for buildings and make recommendations that they have to follow to increase energy efficiency. Stuff like recommending light timers and occupancy sensors and making sure the heating and ventilation system meets energy star levels. Look up LEED on wiki. I do more to save the environment than the lot of you.
you drive a stupid suburban 4x4, guzzle american gasoline, eat an american diet, and live and work in a giant city.

i take public transport, eat healthily, and work with ideas. who has a bigger carbon footprint?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
With industrial economies of scale and the govt subsidies beef is cheap over there.

Plus they suck all the 'goodness' out of the bones, skull, spine, hooves etc and use that so that helps bring the price down.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6676|United States of America
You could make the argument that eating less meat is beneficial in a profoundly oversimplified way as well just due to the loss of energy in biomass as you go up trophic levels. It's far more efficient to eat a producer than a primary or, god forbid, secondary consumer.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

Jay wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

we forgive you.
you drive a stupid suburban 4x4, guzzle american gasoline, eat an american diet, and live and work in a giant city.

i take public transport, eat healthily, and work with ideas. who has a bigger carbon footprint?
I take the train to and from work and only drive on weekends.
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4246

Jay wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

Jay wrote:

I take the train to and from work and only drive on weekends.
lol i'm just fucking around with you. i couldn't care less who has the bigger carbon footprint, anyway.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I bet reducing the mass of the Ford Fiesta by 200g and changing one of the parts from nylon to polypropylene (less energy intensive) has negated my lifetime carbon footprint.

400k vehicles/year over ten years, plus it was carried over to other platforms ->  i r genius

Also I'm vegetarian so I can sleep soundly at night, although my snoring sometimes wakes me.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4246
i bet those sprout farts wake your neighbours too
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

vegetables are comparatively priced to meat? i missed that little bit of crazy. over here some fresh meat/beef for a meal will cost 70% of the total meal cost.
It's a pretty floaty claim.

Very Roughly:

Oranges - $1/lb
Apples - $1.50/lb
Broccoli - $2/lb
Pork - $5/lb
Beef - $7/lb
Salmon fillet - $10/lb
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6708
so how many people here grew up on a farm? just wondering.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

Cybargs wrote:

so how many people here grew up on a funny farm? just wondering.
UnkleRukus
That Guy
+236|5028|Massachusetts, USA

Dilbert_X wrote:

As for ethanol farming, the govt subsidising fuel production so dumbasses can drive everywhere in 10mpg behemoths is just as unethical.
You've never had to go out and lug around firewood, landscaping equipment, horse feed, cattle feed, fertilizer, wood pellets, wood pallets, scrap metal, tractors, horses, cattle, dairy cows, gravel, wood chips, concrete mix, lumber.... There aren't as many of those "behemoths" as there are actual trucks that are a necessity. Personally I think people that trick their trucks out and never actually use them are redneck or wannabe redneck assholes that need a lifestyle adjustment, but that's just me.
If the women don't find ya handsome. They should at least find ya handy.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard