acdc
+37|6545|SEATTLE, WA
So I just started working at a decent sized company helping their IT guy with miscellaneous tasks for shit pay, meh.

Long story short...  One of the manager's has been getting anonymous emails that are criticizing the work habits of some of the employees.

*The provider is @outlook.com

*We have the email header information but, searching it just shows up a general location in our state.  I used whatismyipaddress.com/trace-email‎

*We have emailed the person back but, it seems they have already closed the account.

*The company uses MS Outlook for their email, and they have their own @business.com emails.  Also, I know the company has a server room but, I don't know anything about it nor have I seen it. 

****Questions:

Is there anywhere to track who has been sending the emails without the law?  The person who is sending the emails, most likely is using the same computer to access our company's website from home to access benefits, pay, etc..

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by acdc (2013-04-30 21:10:05)

pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6260|Washington St.
depends on how they send them iirc. they can use all sorts of encryption and safety shit. you may be out of luck

that being said, i live in seattle, i'll find them and fuck them up for ya.

...for a small fee
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6123|what

Why don't you see who hasn't been criticised but sits near those who have been and work out who it was that way?

Really doubt someone would be smart enough to criticise themselves anonymously to take the heat off.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
jsnipy
+3,276|6492|...

Has jackshit to do with encryption

report abuse ...

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind … junk-email (see abuse, do it in the context of business, not personally)
acdc
+37|6545|SEATTLE, WA
karma to all.. thanks
acdc
+37|6545|SEATTLE, WA

pirana6 wrote:

depends on how they send them iirc. they can use all sorts of encryption and safety shit. you may be out of luck

that being said, i live in seattle, i'll find them and fuck them up for ya.

...for a small fee
I thought there would be a way to figure it out if they also log onto the company website from home... potentially the same isp and computer they're using to send the emails?
acdc
+37|6545|SEATTLE, WA

AussieReaper wrote:

Why don't you see who hasn't been criticised but sits near those who have been and work out who it was that way?

Really doubt someone would be smart enough to criticise themselves anonymously to take the heat off.
Way too many people to figure this out, it's far from a small office.
acdc
+37|6545|SEATTLE, WA

jsnipy wrote:

report abuse ...

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind … junk-email (see abuse, do it in the context of business, not personally)
Good point... I'll do that..  Will it work even though the email account has been closed?
jsnipy
+3,276|6492|...

acdc wrote:

jsnipy wrote:

report abuse ...

Good point... I'll do that..  Will it work even though the email account has been closed?
if you have the address it came from and when it was sent they may be able to make some correlation. Unfortunately it is unlikely to go anywhere unless they did something offensive from a law enforcement perspective (in which case you would call them first).

Another option is to attempt to phish them with your own fake email address; getting them to identifiably to visit a site so you can learn more about their identity. A possible scenario would be to act like you sent them something by mistake, like a password to a site or zip with pictures to get the to act or engage. All kinds of ways to play it out, depends on how far you are willing to take it. From you said sounds like you should just let it go.
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6293|Graz, Austria
Tell your boss to give a bonus to everyone that has been criticized.
That'll show the anonymous snitch!
acdc
+37|6545|SEATTLE, WA
So essentially the only information that can be obtained through the email header is the sender's isp and maybe their state that they reside in?  Is there anything else?

We sent an email to the isp, waiting to hear back.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard