13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6499

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

newbie asked the same question as me, get off my dick old man. i'm not being pedantic at all, i just wanted a concrete answer, i.e. some actual game-names, because i was intrigued. don't tell me he didn't link the purchase of a 1000 euro graphics card to not pique people's curiosity or intrigue? so i asked. and instead he got defensive and made vague allusions to "secret things with NDA restrictions" that he is "testing". he could have just said arma 3 and skyrim and everyone would have shut up. instead he got defensive and acted all offended that people queried a 1 grand graphics card. sheesh. sorry for being soooo controversial.
no uzique, why should i leave you alone when you are such a cunt to everyone else?

why should i, are you too precious?

are you gonna cry if i don't? you can dish it out but can't take it?

you called me out on my drinking, i am calling you out for being a cunt.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4256
i don't have a problem you calling me a cunt burnz. it doesn't "hurt my feelings". i however have a problem you calling me pedantic when several other people were asking the exact same question. really, now. stop taking out your father-son issues on me.

oh, and my pedantry won't kill me. stop drinking.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-04-25 05:39:51)

Ultrafunkula
Hector: Ding, ding, ding, ding...
+1,975|6475|6 6 4 oh, I forget

Come ooooon already. You two are smarter than this.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

wow so many personal comments that are so far off the mark. i don't put bf2 on a high-pedestal and i've played many games since thaat. thanks though. nor did i ever express disbelief that someone uses a pc for more than minesweeper. how about you stop being a child and give some concrete examples of why you need all that hardware? that is all we asked. and we asked it quite innocently and curiously. don't know why you've been so defensive about it.
I already told you. Take a look how well many of those games run even with Titan. http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_7990/

What comes to the simulations and other stuff, it is under NDA. If you had any practical experience you'd know how demanding these things are.

Jesus fucking shits, absolutely great that someone has good idea what he needs but you sir need to understand you are not the whole world.
No offense but none of those benchmarks are convincing me to go out today and buy a 7990, 690 or a Titan. Maybe if I ran triple display I'd be tempted, but even the lowest cards shown perform well at 1920x1080 or at my normal resolution, 1920x1200. It can't just be the games, can it? If you chalk it up to a simple desire to be on the bleeding edge, I can accept that, but it sounds like you've got other things going on with it and that the games are just icing on the cake. Wanna talk about it?
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6669

Yes newbie you don't need it.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6499

Ultrafunkula wrote:

Come ooooon already. You two are smarter than this.
well, i've proved time and again that i'm not, and this other asshole has had all the common sense educated right out of his head.

what you gonna do? it's clear that you won't reign him in, and i'm pathologically addicted to not changing my homepage (http://forums.bf2s.com/live.php).

if i were a moderator, i'd cut my losses, do a whois lookup, and ban us both.
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6744|London

I just deleted about 5GB of records from an SQL database so now I have 5GB unallocated space, anyone know how to release the unallocated space?

https://i.imgur.com/xcVP6Dr.png
https://imgur.com/kXTNQ8D.png
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6416|Finland

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

No offense but none of those benchmarks are convincing me to go out today and buy a 7990, 690 or a Titan. Maybe if I ran triple display I'd be tempted, but even the lowest cards shown perform well at 1920x1080 or at my normal resolution, 1920x1200. It can't just be the games, can it? If you chalk it up to a simple desire to be on the bleeding edge, I can accept that, but it sounds like you've got other things going on with it and that the games are just icing on the cake. Wanna talk about it?
It is very hard to get acceptable framerates for 120Hz. I am tired of having to play at low or maybe perhaps medium settings. Ended up rather not playing at all then. Games change, today it is arma, tomorrow it is metro last light, day after that it is again something completely else... you get the idea. I want to play whaterver I care at decent settings at excellent framerate, this is preferably as close to 120FPS as possible.

And before someone starts about the 120Hz, well it is just so much better for gaming I won't be looking back to 60Hz screens anymore. I have triple 1920x1200 IPS DELLs for work...

I am developer of everything. Analog hardware (nanometer and discrete), digital hardware (fpga, asic), software (C/C++/JAVA/HTML/Android SDK(JAVA). And platforms composed of these kind of modules. Simulating a small XXnm piece of analog hardware for example can take many hours. Last thing you want a developer to do is wait for PC half the workday.

Last edited by GC_PaNzerFIN (2013-04-27 14:34:02)

3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

About time to update your sig then.
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6693|Devon, England
So my PC has started to fail to load the Windows Login screens a few times, now, usually after it hasn't been powered on for a while.

It started months ago, and the only way to load through was to remove a 1TB HDD I had connected.

Now I unplugged my second GTX 460 and it made it through.

Am I right in assuming I need a new PSU?
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6416|Finland

FFLink wrote:

So my PC has started to fail to load the Windows Login screens a few times, now, usually after it hasn't been powered on for a while.

It started months ago, and the only way to load through was to remove a 1TB HDD I had connected.

Now I unplugged my second GTX 460 and it made it through.

Am I right in assuming I need a new PSU?
Symptoms do sound like bad caps in PSU. What is your PSU make and model and how old it is?
3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
FFLink
There is.
It's a Corsair TX650w, and I've had it for... 2 and a half years maybe?
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6718|Riva, MD
At some point today at work, apparently the cell network was so crappy that my iPhone 5 had switched all the way down to Edge:

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/8171/IMG_0227%5B1%5D.PNG

Not terribly noteworthy, but when you have a device that's capable of doing LTE, 4G, or 3G and you live/work in a well-developed area between two major cities where there's almost never not LTE or at least 4G, you never expect to see Edge again, just strange, probably had to do with the fact that I was half a mile away from BWI airport though if I had to guess and the towers probably got overloaded or something.  It stayed that way until I got about halfway home.
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6744|London

happens quite a bit here in London, sometimes even down to GPRS
https://imgur.com/kXTNQ8D.png
FFLink
There is.
You still get G show up a lot outside of where I live, in the small places.

Especially in shitty Cornwall.

Last edited by FFLink (2013-05-04 07:07:08)

Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5790|Catherine Black
fuck you guys I go 5 miles away from a main town and have no reception at all

I lose 3G when getting the bus from Carnoustie to Dundee
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
13/f/taiwan
+940|5700
never owned a smart phone. i stay balling with one of these:

https://www.realgeek.com/blog/files/2009/04/tint-metropcs.jpg
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6740|Toronto | Canada

even the underground has perfect reception here

theyre installing it in the subways later this year too
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4256
we've got wireless in a bunch of underground stations. only stations though. pretty stupid.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4256

Finray wrote:

fuck you guys I go 5 miles away from a main town and have no reception at all

I lose 3G when getting the bus from Carnoustie to Dundee
FFLink
There is.
Are Thinkpads worth getting?

I think I'll be getting a laptop soon, for work and other stuff. It seems everyone at work has one and it would seem almost necessary soon to have that extra computer in order to be productive.

Thinkpads have always interested me, but are they overpriced? I'd probably aim for a 14" one, as I don't like 1200x768, or whatever the small ones use.

I've got one configured nicely for exactly £799.99 with the following notable specs:

Intel Core i7-3520M Processor (4M Cache, up to 3.60 GHz)
14.0" W HD+ (1600 x 900) LED Backlit, AntiGlare Glass, Low-light sensitive HD Webcam (w/oWWAN), Mocha
Intel HD Graphics 4000, Intel Core i7-3520M Processor (4MB L3, 2.90GHz)
8 GB DDR3 - 1600MHz (2 DIMM)
500GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm
Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230 & Bluetooth 4.0 (2x2 BGN & BT4)

Thoughts? Are Thinkpads just a name nowadays or are they still the solid and awesome machines that I've heard they are?

Budget would be about £800, but I would stretch a bit more if it was really worth it.

Last edited by FFLink (2013-05-04 15:31:17)

Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4256
"necessary to have an extra computer to be productive"? where do you work, and what do you do, exactly? seems like an odd thing to say.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6740|Toronto | Canada

google around for coupons, you can almost always find 15-20% off easily. plus browse their online clearance areas there are often gems there for dirt cheap
FFLink
There is.
Where would I find the clearance areas, on the site?

Nm, found it.

Last edited by FFLink (2013-05-04 15:32:26)

FFLink
There is.
Hmm, nothing decent there, but thanks for the heads up on the vouchers.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard