Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6644|Canberra, AUS
petition to have dilbert blocked from this fucking thread so we can have some peace and quiet
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4224
i've never ridiculed anyone who does a core academic subject, thanks. only defended others' right to choose humanities without petty abuse and slander. the sort of dumb slander that comes from slack-jawed mouths such as your own. yes, just because there is no empirical, veridical 'right' and 'wrong' in the humanities, the whole area of study and knowledge is worthless! the intellectual pursuit is weakened by the fact it deals in ambiguity, rather than axiomatic truth! you are such an idiot. not everything in life can be expressed in a logical proof, or using the scientific method. we'd be a pretty regressive species if we only trucked in certainties. it's this sort of dumb opinion that makes everyone think you are a troll. humanities inherently less 'difficult' because there is no absolute wrong answer. right, okay. has it ever occurred to you that that fact may, actually, make sciences an easier subject at university-level study? the highest performing oxford colleges are those which are science heavy. want to know why? oxbridge graduates far more firsts in science/maths than it does in humanities, or law, or somesuch. all that right/wrong certainty sure makes exams and papers easier to write. but no, your perspective sure isn't biased on this matter, is it? nup.

oh and my bad, i forgot the only professions worth social merit and respect in this world were professions involving the arbitrary measure of 'dealing with people's lives'. i guess traffic conductors are really high on the social capital ladder, too, then.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4224

Spark wrote:

petition to have dilbert blocked from this fucking thread so we can have some peace and quiet
signed. blocked from d&st too, really. he hasn't even stirred the murky puddle-deep waters of his israel-palestine rant lately.  he's been exclusively on the "my profession is the best ever nur-nur" path. posted from his mother's basement. master race. master troll.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6075|eXtreme to the maX

Uzique wrote:

you clearly don't understand how looking at the materials of the past can help reconsider the present and shape the future. the basic teleology of humanities and intellectual study from time immemorial. how exactly do you 'make a new discovery' or 'a leap-forward breakthrough' in history or philosophy? you are imposing a scientific notion of 'progress', i.e. linear, inventive, technical, on subjects that have no truck with it. but yes, okay, all the work done in the vast majority of the university for over a thousand years has been useless. now the engineers have arrived in the university, post-1940, everything else is bunk. anything that doesn't conform to a model that produces clear, material results is 'not good for anything'.
Science and applied science has been around a little longer than that.

How does studying the past over-and-over-and-over-and-over-and-over-and-over-and-over-and-over really lead to progress?

Is it simply cover for the fact that actual progress is miniscule, or that really many of the subject areas are so narrow there's essentially very little which can be done?

Wouldn't the effort be better expended on areas which might lead to progress?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

i've never ridiculed anyone who does a core academic subject, thanks.
You've ridiculed pretty well everyone, who are you to decide that 'non-core' subjects are open to ridicule?

Literature depts have always been fairly small in most universities, I'd hardly call them 'core' as it is.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4224
except that's a pitiful understanding and representation of what humanities research does. and no, it wouldn't. end of discussion.

also drop your noble "giant leaps ahead" bullshit with scientists. most scientific research is esoteric and feels just as futile. not everyone is studying cures to cancer, and even those that are, as i linked in a news-post above, feel just as desperate and pessimistic about their 'noble path'. academia is theoretical and all about making small dents in knowledge. i think you're a little too horny for the wikipedia conception of the 'scientist', as some valiant knight in the realms of the unknown, handing down nuggets of piecemeal progress to humanity.

and give me a break with the "engineers do something worthy, with real consequences shit". jay designs air-conditioning systems. oh! we really should put a high social value on engineers like him! without them, i might get a sweaty collar at work! please. no profession commands all the glory capital. every profession has leading figures, and a lot of sheep-herders and mediocre just-doing-my-time workers. you haven't done anything great. i saw your linkedin profile. you're not making a dent on the world. this is just your place to vent your own bitter disappointments. you're a middle-aged failure, stuck in a rut, and for some reason you want to tell half of the world's university students/academics that they're all practicing in grave error. okay. i think everyone here on this forum is quite aware it is a monomania for you. we approach your posts in the same way you help a mentally disturbed person cross the road.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4224

Dilbert_X wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

i've never ridiculed anyone who does a core academic subject, thanks.
You've ridiculed pretty well everyone, who are you to decide that 'non-core' subjects are open to ridicule?

Literature depts have always been fairly small in most universities, I'd hardly call them 'core' as it is.
Welcome to English at Oxford

The Faculty of English Language and Literature is by far the largest English Department in the UK, with over 75 permanent postholders, a further 70 Faculty members, 900 undergraduates and 300 postgraduates.
yeah english has always occupied a small, marginal place in the top universities.

you really are clueless. stop talking. you went to imperial college. what would you know about how much of a universities staff and students are taken up by humanities scholars, or literature students? YOU WENT TO A COLLEGE THAT WAS ALL SCIENCES. complete conjecture, again. shooting impotent blanks into empty oblivion. futile posts by a meager man. do you sweat a little when you make these posts? do your hands shake? i honestly want to know what goes through your mind when you post such inane nonsense. how all that misguided vitriol makes you feel, on the inside.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I've asked you a dozen times now to point to some useful humanities 'research' ongoing in a University now - still waiting.

Or shall we say writing a book on 'Medieval Sodomy' is the current pinnacle?
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4224
have a nice day, dilderp.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
OK, you cite Oxford:

http://www.english.ox.ac.uk/about-facul … th-century

Ros Ballaster, Fabulous Orients: Fictions of the East in England 1662-1785 (Oxford University Press, 2005).
Christine Gerrard, Aaron Hill: The Muses' Projector, 1685-1750 (Oxford University Press, 2003)
Christine Gerrard, A Companion to Eighteenth-Century Poetry (Blackwell, 2006)
Freya Johnston, Samuel Johnson and the Art of Sinking, 1709-1791 (Oxford University Press, 2005)
Abigail Williams, Poetry and the Creation of a Whig Literary Culture: 1680-1714 (Oxford University Press, 2005).
David Womersley, Gibbon and 'the Watchmen of the Holy City': The Historian and his Reputation, 1776-1815 (Oxford: Clarendon Press, 2002).
David Womersley ed., James Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson (Penguin, 2008).

Explain how any of this is even 'research'. Haven't enough books been written about Samuel Johnson by now for example?

It seems like a nice hobby, but thats about as far as it goes.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2013-04-27 07:00:18)

Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4224
again, your line of argument seems to be 'choose the research group that does old stuff' and then to waive your ignorant "hah! look how OLD this stuff is! what more is there to know?!?" schtick around. yawn. not only is it selective and dishonest in-itself, it's built on reasoning foundations of sand. there is much to still be learned from the 18th century - it was one of the most tumultuous centuries in the history of human intellect. the spread of the written word/literacy, the development of inner subjectivity and notions of individual liberty, the first questionings of religion/accepted dogma, etc. the whole period was one vast intellectual furnace - both in humanities and sciences. yawning and saying "past is past", again, just merely shows you really don't have a clue. this fetish of 'use' doesn't make any sense. you put everything to a contemporary scientific standard, where any journal older than a decade is suspect. humanities knowledge doesn't work that way, nor does the method of patient learning and enrichment, either. i frequently tie-in ancient greek/latin allegories to my scholarship at the 'frontier' of 21st century literature. not that you'd even understand a single thing about that. it's also funny that you're never willing to acknowledge that much humanities research is based in 20th or 21st century matters. you're always linking to the 'historical' side of humanities study, as if it defines the whole. but, again, the whole 'must be new/contemporary' thing is a fallacy, making your idiocy twice as pronounced.

but yes, continue criticizing oxford academics. you know best. they are inferior. etc.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-04-27 07:10:53)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Dilbert_X wrote:

I've asked you a dozen times now to point to some useful humanities 'research' ongoing in a University now - still waiting.
Whereas there seems to be a hell of a lot of completely pointless backward-looking 'research' taking place.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2013-04-27 07:12:23)

Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4224
you know i'm not going to waste my time, because i could take your hand in mine and patiently walk through a topic, and you'd still find grounds to repudiate it. waste of time and effort. you're not 'proving' a point to anyone, here, dilbert. everyone who reads your stuff finds it tiresome and boorish. again: monomania. you have a problem. there is literally nothing that anyone could say or show you on the matter that would budge your position one inch. you should re-check the definition of "debate" again, because you consistently debate in the worst possible spirit. all you want to do is bludgeon people with your bias and petty resentments. repeatedly. ad nauseam. week after week. month after month. to an audience of one. you should get a diary.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
OK, so you decline to put anything at all forward to back your assertion.

Thats fine, we can leave it there.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2013-04-27 07:16:37)

Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4224

Dilbert_X wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Whereas there seems to be a hell of a lot of completely pointless backward-looking 'research' taking place.
yes don't worry dilbert, you've fatally undermined my DPhil now, i'm going to spend 3 years at oxford wracked with indecision and anxiety. the great sham of my life! why didn't i discover the scientific method before? oh woe, a life wasted, gone to the dogs. if only i'd listened to a proselytizing 40-year old stay-at-home aussie before i went down this path bedecked with the dark ivies of error. now studying at one of the world's top departments is going to feel like an ersatz victory, a fulfillment in sheer nothingness!!!!!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
You should have stuck with your law degree I guess.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4224

Dilbert_X wrote:

OK, so you decline to put anything at all forward to back your assertion.

Thats fine, we can leave it there.
dilbert i've given you about 50,000 words on this topic over the years. i've linked you many studies, many times. i'm a modern literature scholar myself, so i've been very patient in defending OTHERS' work from periods/fields that don't even pertain or personally interest me. if you think i don't "have anything to forward" as an example, despite working in contemporary philosophy myself for 2-3 years, you are a real fucking twonk.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-04-27 07:20:13)

Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4224

Dilbert_X wrote:

You should have stuck with your law degree I guess.
would almost be a good point if most of the entrants into the top legal schools here (particularly the bar examination) weren't from humanities backgrounds. predominantly english, history, classics, and philosophy. they prefer humanities grads. and there's nothing saying i can't do the graduate track into law, anyway. i have more than enough time and more than enough money, if i'm so inclined to do anything nearly as boring and unimaginative as law. but yes, a great regret of my life that i didn't spend 3 years doing a degree, where 40% of the course content is memorizing statutes and 'references to authority' (exam term), like a mechanical monkey. i sorely missed the opportunity of taking a degree that would have put me in worse stead for professional legal training than a humanities degree.

keep talking, loser.
coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6679|England. Stoke
Dilbert's lack of respect and interest in the humanities when looked at in conjunction with his blatant ignorance and stupidity, should be evidence on it's own to prove that everyone should have at least some founding in them.
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6592|Little Bentcock
https://i.imgur.com/sEBuXw0.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

In general,

https://i.imgur.com/DBDdopb.jpg
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6654|United States of America
I'm surprised engineers have that reputation for arguing, because apparently a problem with engineering at Purdue is a lot of those in first year say things like "I want a job where I don't really have to talk to other people."
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4224

DesertFox- wrote:

I'm surprised engineers have that reputation for arguing, because apparently a problem with engineering at Purdue is a lot of those in first year say things like "I want a job where I don't really have to talk to other people."
dilbert hasn't even left home, he's not exactly a socialized human being within society-at-large, either. another one of those enviable soft-skills that a humanities education brings...
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Spark wrote:

Maybe Uzique should stop spamming the thread with nonsense such as

UTL wrote:

a phd is only intended to be relevant to academic experience.
A) Its wrong, unless you accept that a BSc. and MSc. are equally solely intended to be relevant to academia, which they patently aren't. That this is the reason Uzique is following a PhD doesn't make it so for all PhDs.
B) Its doubly wrong in relation to non-humanities subjects. To be posting it in the science thread is absurd.

UTL wrote:

i've given you about 50,000 words on this topic over the years. i've linked you many studies, many times.
You've waffled a lot, I accept that, but actual concrete evidence? Still waiting for it.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2013-04-27 21:52:58)

coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6679|England. Stoke

Dilbert_X wrote:

You've waffled a lot, I accept that, but actual concrete evidence? Still waiting for it.
What exactly is it you're looking for concrete evidence of?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard