Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4262
have you ever left the US? i find it quite strange that a US citizen could deny what a US tourist looks like, when he possibly hasn't ever left the US himself.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6779|PNW

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

http://www.wikihow.com/Avoid-Looking-Like-an-American-Tourist
That article mostly points out how not to be a slob. A lot of Americans are unwilling to do even this at home, so there's very little chance they're going to put forth the effort to do it abroad.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5593

I think the part about dressingly locally is bunk. I don't care if everyone knows I am an American tourist. I want to be comfortable in my clothes. I don't expect Muslims to come here and drop their headscarves.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4262

Macbeth wrote:

I think the part about dressingly locally is bunk. I don't care if everyone knows I am an American tourist. I want to be comfortable in my clothes. I don't expect Muslims to come here and drop their headscarves.
again, a lot of people commenting on this fairly facetious conversation........... have never left america.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6779|PNW

Macbeth wrote:

Exactly how is not dressing like a mark "bunk."
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6744|Oxferd Ohire
i dont suppose canada counts
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5593

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Oh right. I forget all of those news stories about tourist getting raped, robbed, and killed in Manhattan every day. Berlin is probably a lot more dangerous too.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6674

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

again, a lot of people commenting on this fairly facetious conversation........... have never left america.
Nope,  it's a universal tourist thing.   Common in mainland Europe. More prevalent the older they are.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6779|PNW

Macbeth wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Oh right. I forget all of those news stories about tourist getting raped, robbed, and killed in Manhattan every day. Berlin is probably a lot more dangerous too.
Your sarcasm is completely inconsequential to the common sense of the thing.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4262

Macbeth wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

berlin is pretty safe and international
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5593

Good luck blending in in Thailand. The dress like an European thing just seems more like anti Americanism than great advice in a first world country.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6692|United States of America

Ilocano wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Nope,  it's a universal tourist thing.   Common in mainland Europe. More prevalent the older they are.
Yeah, a lot of those appear to just be stereotypes of tourists, some of them from the '80s as well like the white tennis shoes and camera around the neck and high socks of stereotypical Europeans.

The rest of it is exactly as informative and helpful you'd expect a wikihow to be, ranging from common sense items (don't wear an American flag if you don't want to be looked at like an American --- thanks, Gomer) to bizarre:

Don't ask for tap water. You will get grumpy stares. Accept the fact that you are going to get mineral water, with or without gas (is this an expression? )

Avoid walking down the street while eating food; this is against proper etiquette in most countries. -- including the US

Give up the ice. --- does anyone actually like having a shit ton of ice in their drink reducing the amount of actual beverage you get?

Don't chew a lot of gum. --- Are Americans noted gum-chewers or are we going back to the valley girl stereotype?
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6746|Toronto | Canada

everywhere i've been in europe the default has been carbonated water (and yeah, they said with 'gas'). i had to ask for it without gas all the time
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5365|London, England

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

http://www.wikihow.com/Avoid-Looking-Like-an-American-Tourist
That article mostly points out how not to be a slob. A lot of Americans are unwilling to do even this at home, so there's very little chance they're going to put forth the effort to do it abroad.
Author of the article seems like they are ashamed and embarrassed of being American. Pretentious douche.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4262
lol.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6697|Tampa Bay Florida
I hate mineral water.  I drank like half a glass when I was in Germany before I realized it was fizzy.  Almost spat it out all over my krautspazle
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4262
not all mineral water is fizzy. most bottled water you buy in europe is still - think of the brands, c'mon, like evian. sparkling/fizzy water is something you normally have to ask for here. i have no idea what americans here are talking about that "it's sparkled by default". are you kidding? our water is carbonated by default? if you ask for a water here, you'll get a still, normal glass of water. lol.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6746|Toronto | Canada

i didnt go to the uk, but every place i went to in central/eastern europe served carbonated water when you sat down.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5593

I like fizzy drinks.
13/f/taiwan
+940|5706

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

so the israeli intelligence services are reporting that assad has been using sarin gas in the syrian conflict. they state they have intel that "you can't tell from pictures alone", or something to that effect. i really wonder what the israeli motive is here in trying to encourage western states to intervene in syria. i've heard the figure of 20,000 ground troops bandied around. going into syria would be a disaster.
The US says it will not be rushed into a verdict over whether Syria has used chemical weapons just because other countries believe evidence supports that conclusion.

Defence Secretary Chuck Hagel said late on Wednesday at the end of a visit to Egypt that included talks about Syria and other regional issues that decisions on such "serious business" could not be decided on a timeline.

"Suspicions are one thing, evidence is another," Hagel said.

"We have to be very careful here before we make any conclusions, draw any conclusions based on real intelligence."

Hagel said he was not questioning other nations' intelligence, but the United States relied on its own intelligence.

Chemical claim

The US has warned that any chemical weapons use by Syria would cross a "red line" that would trigger an unspecified response.

Hagel rejected suggestions the US was undermining its credibility by saying it was continuing to assess the issue, as France, Britain and Israel concluded evidence suggested that chemical arms had been used in Syria's conflict.

A top Israeli military intelligence officer said on Tuesday that evidence supported the conclusion Syrian government forces had used chemical weapons, probably sarin, several times against rebels trying to overthrow President Bashar al-Assad.

Syria's information minister said on Wednesday that Damascus would not resort to chemical weapons against its own citizens or even in the event of war with its neighbour Israel.

Hagel said that while he had discussed the Syrian conflict and chemical weapons with Israeli leaders, he had not been given the findings cited by the intelligence officer.

Obama letter

A bipartisan group of US senators said on Wednesday it had sent a letter to President Barack Obama asking him to say whether the Syrian government or elements backed by it had used chemical weapons in the country since the conflict there began in March 2011.

"We believe this question can be answered straightforwardly without compromising any critical intelligence sources and methods, just as our French, British, and Israeli allies have done," the letter said.

The Syrian government and rebels each accused the other of launching a chemical attack near the embattled city of Aleppo last month.

Syrian authorities acknowledged last year having chemical and biological weapons and said they could be used if foreign countries intervened in the conflict.
Sorry Israel.
13/f/taiwan
+940|5706

Good video about the bloated US defense budget.

@mac: skip to 18:30 for the foreshadowing of the 'new' chinese bogeyman.

Last edited by 13/f/taiwan (2013-04-25 16:25:46)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6113|eXtreme to the maX

Jay wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

I've heard a few people say they're done with holidaying in the US, if they're really so backward they think 20 kids being killed is worth doing nothing over but a muslim killing three adults is worth locking down a whole city and putting 9,000 troops on the streets for then its a place they just don't want to spend any time in - not least for the risk of becoming a freedom statistic.
Good, keep your ignorant foreigner selves at home if you're gonna get butthurt over a terrible bill not passing. I love how it's been portrayed in the media 'I can't believe they didn't pass it'. Did you actually look at it? Did you see all the stupid dripping from it? No, you didn't.
And still nothing has been done, and won't be done, the stupidity of the bill is part of the problem.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5593

The first of 500 Marines have begun deploying to Spain as part of a new rapid reaction force to respond to threats against U.S. citizens, government personnel or installations in Africa.

The new task force is based at Moron Air Base in southern Spain, which provides quick access especially to northern Africa, where security concerns have grown since the September 2012 attack on a U.S. government facility in Benghazi, Libya, a Pentagon official told CNN.
Living in southern Spain all expenses paid? God those military people sure have it tough. I hope they get a huge parade and lots of government benefits when they get home. Living in Spain is a rough ass job.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6682|Canberra, AUS
It is if you're a Spaniard these days.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6716|England. Stoke

Macbeth wrote:

The first of 500 Marines have begun deploying to Spain as part of a new rapid reaction force to respond to threats against U.S. citizens, government personnel or installations in Africa.

The new task force is based at Moron Air Base in southern Spain, which provides quick access especially to northern Africa, where security concerns have grown since the September 2012 attack on a U.S. government facility in Benghazi, Libya, a Pentagon official told CNN.
Living in southern Spain all expenses paid? God those military people sure have it tough. I hope they get a huge parade and lots of government benefits when they get home. Living in Spain is a rough ass job.
I'm guessing even on a cushy posting such as that, if you were there you would probably have a complete mental breakdown and or have killed yourself within six months...

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard