Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5555

The bomber in Boston will be put in one of America's super max prisons after he is found guiltily. It is where we put all of our terrorist, gang leaders, mafia leaders, drug lords, and other high danger people. The bomber will spend 23 out of 24 hours a day in this cell.
https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-s63s-qV0W10/UFhEOafeHAI/AAAAAAAAEoA/nfIMHWggWtE/s1600/080423_Supermax_cell.jpg
I think this is cruel. This same sort of set up is used in Gitmo where half of the inmates are on hunger strike because they can't live in these cells any longer. It is also where they put that one American who was convicted of planning to set off a dirty bomb (something he could never have done since he had zero access to radioactive material). He is now clinically insane from the experience.

So should these be a thing?
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
nupe
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

I don't know whether to jackiechan.gif at super max prisons in general, at people suddenly thinking that a guy who was planning on setting off a dirty bomb was only made insane by a stay in prison or the fact that Macbeth is now a humanitarian.
Wreckognize
+294|6455

Macbeth wrote:

It is also where they put that one American who was convicted of planning to set off a dirty bomb (something he could never have done since he had zero access to radioactive material). He is now clinically insane from the experience.
Do you have a source for this?  If this type of confinement contributes to the development mental illness than it could be considered cruel and unusual.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5555

Oh and this is what we do to people at Gitmo.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/65/Camp_x-ray_detainees.jpg
"And the United States of America government, when it came to treating her citizens of Indian descent fairly, she failed. She put them on reservations. When it came to treating her citizens of Japanese descent fairly, she failed. She put them in internment prison camps. When it came to treating her citizens of African descent fairly, America failed. She put them in chains, the government put them on slave quarters, put them on auction blocks, put them in cotton field, put them in inferior schools, put them in substandard housing, put them in scientific experiments, put them in the lowest paying jobs, put them outside the equal protection of the law, kept them out of their racist bastions of higher education and locked them into positions of hopelessness and helplessness. The government gives them the drugs, builds bigger prisons, passes a three-strike law and then wants us to sing 'God Bless America.' No, no, no, not God Bless America. God damn America — that's in the Bible — for killing innocent people. God damn America, for treating our citizens as less than human. God damn America, as long as she tries to act like she is God, and she is supreme. The United States government has failed the vast majority of her citizens"
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5555

Wreckognize wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

It is also where they put that one American who was convicted of planning to set off a dirty bomb (something he could never have done since he had zero access to radioactive material). He is now clinically insane from the experience.
Do you have a source for this?  If this type of confinement contributes to the development mental illness than it could be considered cruel and unusual.
Here you go: http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/0813/p01s03-usju.html
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6744|Noizyland

Of course they're cruel but that's not really the question people concern themselves with. I'd say nine out of ten people feel these conditions are just punishment, the fact that they're cruel is part of that.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Eagle
Togs8896 is my evil alter ego
+567|6601|New Hampshire, USA
I thought placing bombs in a crowded street was also pretty cruel and unusual
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/14407/Sig_Pats.jpg
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6628|BC, Canada
Yup. Definately don't care to much how people who end up in those places get to live, keep it cheap. Gitmo is a bit different though.

Last edited by -Whiteroom- (2013-04-24 21:36:29)

13/f/taiwan
+940|5668
macbeth you might like this book:
https://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41oHYeFswuL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_SX285_SY380_CR,0,0,285,380_SH20_OU01_.jpg
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6654|United States of America
I'd argue any sort of "life without parole" is cruel. It's just a delayed death sentence. Were I in that position of unquestionable guilt with not a snowballs chance of getting out, I'd much rather be executed and done with it all.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
I'd say its more cruel forcing people to mix with violent, usually mentally ill, criminals.

I don't know why Amricans get such a kick of knowing someone is going to 'pound me in the ass' prison.
Until people are sentenced to be stabbed, beaten or raped as part of the justice process it shouldn't be an expected part of the incarceration process.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
BVC
+325|6665
Tough shit, if he didn't want to go to a place like that he shouldn't have planted IEDs at the marathon.

Last edited by BVC (2013-04-25 02:32:31)

Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4224
gitmo is one measure short of a concentration camp or gulag, i..e all it lacks is the forced labour or extermination. gitmo is a human rights disaster. no democracy that takes itself seriously can have a gitmo, not without being accused of major delusions. people hold up communism as a bogeyman in america, but even in your free democracy you can be detained and held for years without fair trial or proper explanation. gitmo is a disaster.

supermax prisons? i'd worry less about certain prison structures being 'cruel' - although the infiltration of private-industry and business interests into prison building/maintenance should really be looked at - and worry more about how many of your adult population are in jail. no.1 in the world, isn't it? that's 'cruel'. democracy, again. the "price of freedom" in america seems to be a whole lot of people not having it.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4224

DesertFox- wrote:

I'd argue any sort of "life without parole" is cruel. It's just a delayed death sentence. Were I in that position of unquestionable guilt with not a snowballs chance of getting out, I'd much rather be executed and done with it all.
i have to say, the way an american 'death sentence' works is very cruel, i.e. sometimes holding people in a state of anticipation/waiting for 12-15 years, or even more. in the UK a 'life sentence', the harshest you can carry, still normally carries the possibility of a release - unless the crimes are absolutely heinous or grave, etc. putting someone on 'death row' for a decade or more just seems like an unnecessary element of psychological torture and power-boasting for the state to exert over the citizen. even if you're going to proceed with the barbaric 'eye for an eye' state-sanctioned death approach, you should just take that life and balance the books. it's not like most killers terrorized their victims for a decade beforehand.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard