T1mbrW0lf
+2|6792|Eastern PA
As I noted in another thread, tactical militery 'scopes are typically fixed magnification (with range graduations etched into the reticle) for simplicity and reliability. An adjustable magnification 'scope is prone to damage, and introduces potential problems with parallax error and range estimation - and a precision rifle with a broken or unreliable 'scope is nothing more than an expensive club.

Regardless of any references to "realism", as a practical issue: In an environment where you have multiple random targets at varying ranges, you will almost always find that whatever magnification you've pre-selected is the wrong one for the most pressing (or opportune) shot. That's a "real world" as well as virtual problem.

Just noting why it's not likely that you'll see a "feature" like this anytime soon.
IrishRedneck
+0|6757

T1mbrW0lf wrote:

Y'all might want to keep in mind that military rifles chambered for .50 BMG are "not intended" for anti-personnel use (as per the Geneva Conventions); they are to be used against equipment only (*cough* If you say so *cough*) . . .
WRONG.  Wrong.

As a retired US Army Non-Comissioned Officer I am here to inform you that that is an incorrect assumption.

Utilization of a .50 cal round is to kill the enemy. period.  That is a common misconception by a LOT of people (too include some REMF's) that a .50 cal round is to be used against equipment.
wombat.:FTS:.
+0|6756
i hear a lot of talk of 'bullet drop' in bf2....

i have it from a very reliable source that there is no bullet drop as such.....

where ur bullet hits is just a randomisation based on range/ movement and such

so u could get 'bullet drop, rise or sway' depending on how the cookie crumbles

also the armour penetration extends beyond vehicles to those anoying asaulters in kevlar
Mangoslurpy
+0|6763
Nah, it's a proven fact, that there's bullet drop.

Someone on this board did a test and changed some velocity variables to make a proof of bullet drop.
Galen1066
+1|6755|Colo. Springs
It does seem that the damage difference between the M24 & the M95 is about the same, what i think EA should do is give the 95 a bit more power and/or even AP rounds, as someone who has shot both types of rifles, I know the Barett's will go through an APC @ 1,000 meters, so why shouldn't do that in the game? I do like the fact that you can penetrate the canopy of a chopper though thats very cool, but always remeber to kill the gunner first, then the pilot..lol
DrDestruction
Utilityman
+1|6773
If the M95 had anymore power, it would be a one-shot, one kill weapon.

Then everyone would be a sniper and no one would want to walk around in the open because you would just get wiped out by the one shot kill weapons all over the place.  Im being honest - I know Id snipe more if it was a one shot kill weapon.  Im only human

With the APC's, for what?  The game doesn't necessarily hard code the actual position of people in an APC as it would in say, an open air vehicle or helicopter.  You wouldn't be able to do anything to an APC, except maybe do a bit of damage, which would mean that you would be able to bring down and APC with a few well placed snipers.  Seems a tad unbalanced to me - at least helos and such can get out of the way.  An APC is hard to hide and not fast enough to outrun ground based snipers.

What next.....  Oh yes.  The Dragunov sniper rifle.  Very cool - I didnt know that.  However, I am slightly disturbed by how the person is demonstrating the sight on civillians lol.

As for the real .50, it is definately legal to use against troops - that is the primary purpose.  A .50 round ensures a kill, as it literally rips a target to pieces, as opposed to other sniper rounds that may only injure a victim with a botched or otherwise off-target shot.  A .50 sniper round can rip the skin off your body with a mere graze.

If anyone is interested, I have a video of a real .50 in action in Afghanistan by a sniper team, hitting live Afghani snipers.  I will not post it on the forums as it is va tad graphic, but PM me if you are interested.  I will send it to you.  It literally rips your body apart, and is pretty much an instant kill no matter where it hits, except possibly the extreme outer limbs (arms, legs), of which it would basically saw off anyways.  It would be extremely unbalanced to put this into the game.

As for the game's sniper rifle, I think it is perfectly balanced.  The rifle offers a accuracy and range improvement over the base Chinese/MEC guns, and offers the capability of shooting through vehicle glass at the expense of a little bit of accuracy over the US gun.  Trust me, you guys would not want a sort of "Super Sniper" rifle that a real version of one of these would be.  It would make the game completely unbalanced.

If you want realism like that, then unlockable weapons should really only be availible to the US forces anyways (minus the PKM), because when was the last time you saw a middle eastern country have access to M95's or the Chinese army have access to G36c's?
Nightrider^
+0|6753

IrishRedneck wrote:

T1mbrW0lf wrote:

Y'all might want to keep in mind that military rifles chambered for .50 BMG are "not intended" for anti-personnel use (as per the Geneva Conventions); they are to be used against equipment only (*cough* If you say so *cough*) . . .
WRONG.  Wrong.

As a retired US Army Non-Comissioned Officer I am here to inform you that that is an incorrect assumption.

Utilization of a .50 cal round is to kill the enemy. period.  That is a common misconception by a LOT of people (too include some REMF's) that a .50 cal round is to be used against equipment.
Well here in Sweden "we" use it as a anti mine weapon (!!), and vs equipment, don´t really know why it isnt used against personell. But heck, we havn´t been in a war for 200years so who cares anyway..
Nightrider^
+0|6753

DrDestruction wrote:

If you want realism like that, then unlockable weapons should really only be availible to the US forces anyways (minus the PKM), because when was the last time you saw a middle eastern country have access to M95's or the Chinese army have access to G36c's?
I agree, but not take away the unlocks but another unlock for the other teams. It looks so wrong when an MEC Medic runs around with the L85A1 or Sniper with M95..
karmon
+0|6752

Tyferra wrote:

Which is a good point of course. I once shot a helicopter down with a M95. I shot at the engine. No idea how it happned.
Congrats on your legend shot =[4th]=SlayThem. That's just cool. Wish I had seen it.
Thats wierd. One time I shot the back of a tank with an M95 and it blew up.
maltese_pidgeon
Bleeder
+2|6833|Sunnyvale, CA

Galen1066 wrote:

I do like the fact that you can penetrate the canopy of a chopper though thats very cool, but always remeber to kill the gunner first, then the pilot..lol
eh, i go for the pilot first.  Once he is taken care of, one of two things happen:

1) that chopper falls to earth beacause his reaction time was too slow to punch F1 or E
or
2)He does press F1, and you get an easy follow up shot.

I did this once on Sharqi. There was a Cobra capping the first MEC flag, and i shot the pilot. The bird landed itself and i shot the gunner when he switched to the pilot seat. Then i took it, and tried to hide it, before crashing into that damn crane.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard