GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6416|Finland

Ilocano wrote:

What kind of gaming is that?
The kind which doesn't look like someone made the graphics in paint freehand or remind me of powerpoint slideshow.

Last edited by GC_PaNzerFIN (2013-04-24 13:49:34)

3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

You must be hard to impress.
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6744|London

what res do you normally play at
https://imgur.com/kXTNQ8D.png
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4256

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

The kind which doesn't look like someone made the graphics in paint freehand or remind me of powerpoint slideshow.
i think that's a very shitty excuse. you don't need a 1000 euro graphics card to play any current game on max settings. and most of the ones that are really 'pushing it' out there are terrible games. ditto the processor comment. having a marginally faster processor has saved you "days" of time? are you kidding? i can't even tell if you're kidding. what are you doing with your home pc, typically? rendering the new pixar movie?
GC_PaNzerFIN
+528|6416|Finland

Dauntless wrote:

what res do you normally play at
1080p 120Hz. What you'd like to see ideally is 120FPS all the time.
3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6744|London

fair do's
https://imgur.com/kXTNQ8D.png
GC_PaNzerFIN
+528|6416|Finland

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

i think that's a very shitty excuse. you don't need a 1000 euro graphics card to play any current game on max settings. and most of the ones that are really 'pushing it' out there are terrible games. ditto the processor comment. having a marginally faster processor has saved you "days" of time? are you kidding? i can't even tell if you're kidding. what are you doing with your home pc, typically? rendering the new pixar movie?
I know, it is impossible someone uses PC for anything else than Facebook and Minesweeper these days. Hint, simulating physical world is stupidly slow.

You can bring even Titan on its knees if you really start maxing out something. Obviously you think everything newer than BF2 is shit so clearly by all means it will run nicely even with your toaster and no need to ever upgrade.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4256
wow so many personal comments that are so far off the mark. i don't put bf2 on a high-pedestal and i've played many games since thaat. thanks though. nor did i ever express disbelief that someone uses a pc for more than minesweeper. how about you stop being a child and give some concrete examples of why you need all that hardware? that is all we asked. and we asked it quite innocently and curiously. don't know why you've been so defensive about it.
GC_PaNzerFIN
+528|6416|Finland

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

wow so many personal comments that are so far off the mark. i don't put bf2 on a high-pedestal and i've played many games since thaat. thanks though. nor did i ever express disbelief that someone uses a pc for more than minesweeper. how about you stop being a child and give some concrete examples of why you need all that hardware? that is all we asked. and we asked it quite innocently and curiously. don't know why you've been so defensive about it.
I already told you. Take a look how well many of those games run even with Titan. http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_7990/

What comes to the simulations and other stuff, it is under NDA. If you had any practical experience you'd know how demanding these things are.

Jesus fucking shits, absolutely great that someone has good idea what he needs but you sir need to understand you are not the whole world.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4256
i just asked a simple question, what games/applications are you using that justifies that expense. an innocent question. several other members asked it too. so far you have failed to give a concrete example that isn't bullshit or just pointless insults.
GC_PaNzerFIN
+528|6416|Finland

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

i just asked a simple question, what games/applications are you using that justifies that expense. an innocent question. several other members asked it too. so far you have failed to give a concrete example that isn't bullshit or just pointless insults.
ArmA Series, Skyrim, majority of single player FPS games like Bioshock Infinite (and for example waiting for the new Metro). Electronic simulation tools (all the way to silicon). Emulation of hardware devices. Hardware/software developing and compiling (also CUDA when I have spare time). 

It seems biggest insult to you is go and buy new hardware or even worse, play a new game. Everything you don't want to or need to do is bullshit, right?

In the future I won't traumatize you or anyone else here by saying what I bought. indeed you know what I need better than myself so I will sell this hardware first thing in the morning and put a 8800GTX and C2D running again. After all, they can run anything right? And if they can't its bullshit software anyway.

Now back to this bullshit of being hardware engineer... doing bullshit work with bullshit hardware which no one needs. I never thought it could be so big problem for someone what I need or buy. But obviously here it is.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4256
no, i think you're misunderstanding my tone. i was just asking a question. for me, nothing has been worth that investment. you mentioned before ARMA 3, and i said it's a good suggestion. however a 1000 euro graphics card seems pretty crazy. i was just wondering if there's something super intensive you use that really makes it worth it. you're the one being incredibly defensive here.
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6693|Devon, England
So my friend's network was being extremely slow on wireless (wired was fine). He Google'd it and found by changing his SSID (and then if he wanted to, change it back to what it was) it fixed all speed issues. Full restarts, channel swapping, usual troubleshooting stuff, etc. didn't fix anything, either.

I can't think of a reason as to why this would fix it. Any ideas? The only thing I can think of was it's just that one router and a fault with it.

Also, Panzer, don't stop posting what you bought. I'm always interested to have contact with someone who owns all this high-end shit and their experiences for when I may need to know

Last edited by FFLink (2013-04-24 17:25:00)

Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4256
why u heff to be mad?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

ArmA Series, Skyrim, majority of single player FPS games like Bioshock Infinite (and for example waiting for the new Metro). Electronic simulation tools (all the way to silicon). Emulation of hardware devices. Hardware/software developing and compiling (also CUDA when I have spare time). 

It seems biggest insult to you is go and buy new hardware or even worse, play a new game. Everything you don't want to or need to do is bullshit, right?

In the future I won't traumatize you or anyone else here by saying what I bought. indeed you know what I need better than myself so I will sell this hardware first thing in the morning and put a 8800GTX and C2D running again. After all, they can run anything right? And if they can't its bullshit software anyway.

Now back to this bullshit of being hardware engineer... doing bullshit work with bullshit hardware which no one needs. I never thought it could be so big problem for someone what I need or buy. But obviously here it is.
NP if you actually have an application for it, but ArmA, Skyrim and games like Bioshock 3 all run fine at max on my 26" monitor with a GTX570, and a $1000 video card seems way overkill for any of them. Then again, I lock the settings at 59Hz when it's allowed and don't run triple 30" monitors.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6669

My upgrade trends follows Panzers purchases.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4256
cause you've just got all that money amirite
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6669

Gotta reward my son for his grades.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6499

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

why u heff to be mad?
-
Stop being a dick, uzique.
You*re being more pedantic than even me, and that's a place you don't want to be.
at such a young age.-

Trouble this section no more, be an asshole in ee & dast, where your fanbois will lick your nuts.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6292|Washington St.

13urnzz wrote:

That'll probably start tomorrow

https://i.imgur.com/nYxauUC.gif
FFLink
There is.
Another question.

A friend is halfway through completing his house (he pretty much stripped the whole thing and replaced everything - walls, electrics, floors, etc.) and has put Ethernet down throughout the house, just cos. He told me he has 8 cables into a patch panel and wanted to know how he'd organise them into his router.

Obviously, I suggested a Switch and I've been looking for one for him to use. I'm sure he doesn't wanna spend over £100 on a professional, business-like switch because he doesn't have the need for it.

I've found this but I can't find any reviews.

As he will have 8 connections, I believe I'm right in thinking he can't buy an 8-port switch, as one port is needed for the gateway?

What do you reckon?
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6314

Yes, he will need one port on the switch for the router.

I have this one. It's been pretty solid.
FFLink
There is.
That looks just as good and I'm happy with your review. I'll let him know - cheers, bugz
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6314

NP. I love being able to transfer movies to my HTPC at 7200RPM hard drive write speeds (60-100MB/s) Gigabit is definitely worth it (if his end devices are Gig-E as well).
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4256

13urnzz wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

why u heff to be mad?
-
You*re being more pedantic than even me, and that's a place you don't want to be.
at such a young age.-

Trouble this section no more, be an asshole in ee & dast, where your fanbois will lick your nuts.
newbie asked the same question as me, get off my dick old man. i'm not being pedantic at all, i just wanted a concrete answer, i.e. some actual game-names, because i was intrigued. don't tell me he didn't link the purchase of a 1000 euro graphics card to not pique people's curiosity or intrigue? so i asked. and instead he got defensive and made vague allusions to "secret things with NDA restrictions" that he is "testing". he could have just said arma 3 and skyrim and everyone would have shut up. instead he got defensive and acted all offended that people queried a 1 grand graphics card. sheesh. sorry for being soooo controversial.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-04-25 04:19:09)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard