unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

What on earth are you using a $1000 video card for?
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6661|BC, Canada
Probably waht you use other video cards for, just more of it.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4256

-Whiteroom- wrote:

Probably waht you use other video cards for, just more of it.
playing mediocre current-gen shooters / thinly-veiled tech demos with the depth of a puddle of piss? ok.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4256
can anyone actually name me one top-rate FPS game with all the proper quality and longevity you'd expect of a 'good' FPS game that won't run on an old 8800GTX? i literally cannot think of an FPS game to be released in the last 5 years that is truly worth the £40 price of admission, let alone a sparkly new £400+ graphics card. oh and that's not directed at that panzer guy, i don't care what he does with his money. i just mean, as a point of criticism of the game's industry. i can't think of a single game that i'd want to play for an extended period of time that wouldn't run on the PC i had two PC's ago...
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6739|Oxferd Ohire
5 fps games installed

borderlands 2 by far the highest min requirements.
haven't played any for an extended period in months
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6499

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

can anyone actually name me one top-rate FPS game with all the proper quality and longevity you'd expect of a 'good' FPS game that won't run on an old 8800GTX?
if you still have an 8800gtx, i can sell you another for SLI.
email ur reply ASAP
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5545|Toronto
What does Tribes: Ascend run on?
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6669

Just like both a Land Rover and a Fiat will get you to your destination just fine.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4256

13urnzz wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

can anyone actually name me one top-rate FPS game with all the proper quality and longevity you'd expect of a 'good' FPS game that won't run on an old 8800GTX?
if you still have an 8800gtx, i can sell you another for SLI.
email ur reply ASAP
my old machine had 2 in SLI, soz burnzz.

and ilo that analogy doesn't really work. people buy cars for status and prestige, sadly, even though both will drive fine on the road. a graphics card is bought for nothing but pure function. a car is like a 'lifestyle' purchase.

and tribes ascend runs on pretty low settings. it's mostly a CPU-intensive game, graphics card doesn't make much difference.

not that tribes ascend is really that good
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6416|Finland

https://i.imgur.com/MS7DzKG.jpg

I have had 8x 8800GTX... I think I have a fairly good idea they are not fast enough for my use.

Last edited by GC_PaNzerFIN (2013-04-24 11:14:21)

3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6669

I'm tempted but I think I can wait for the one notch down version.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

can anyone actually name me one top-rate FPS game with all the proper quality and longevity you'd expect of a 'good' FPS game that won't run on an old 8800GTX? i literally cannot think of an FPS game to be released in the last 5 years that is truly worth the £40 price of admission, let alone a sparkly new £400+ graphics card. oh and that's not directed at that panzer guy, i don't care what he does with his money. i just mean, as a point of criticism of the game's industry. i can't think of a single game that i'd want to play for an extended period of time that wouldn't run on the PC i had two PC's ago...
I can't even find a game that seriously stresses out my 2.5GB GTX 570. Maybe we'll see some actual effort on the PC front when the next gen consoles come out, but I'm not going to hold my breath for anything actually good as well as "innovative" tech-wise.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4256

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

I have had 8x 8800GTX... I think I have a fairly good idea they are not fast enough for my use.
yeah that's exactly what i said. exactly.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6669

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

I can't even find a game that seriously stresses out my 2.5GB GTX 570. Maybe we'll see some actual effort on the PC front when the next gen consoles come out, but I'm not going to hold my breath for anything actually good as well as "innovative" tech-wise.
Skyrim triple screen full HD mods.  Makes my 580 cry.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4256

Ilocano wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

Skyrim triple screen full HD mods.
you could justify the top graphics card probably with a quad-screen flight sim set-up... but i mean, you know, the real point of my question is are there any games deserving it, not is it technically possible to test the graphics card (of course it is). what i mean is: name a game worth the $1000+ investment? eye-candy demos last about 20-30 hours, tops. the last time i bought a pc especially for a game was probably making the hardware step-up to play BF2 and WoW. i probably clocked about 4,000 hours on those two games, combined. nowadays... i can't see that happening with a current-gen game and current top-end hardware.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6669

FPS games no.    Immersion games possibly.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4256
i wish i knew what those were
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6669

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

Anything outside of  shooters doesn't merit anything from you so no need to go into details.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6739|Oxferd Ohire
sims?
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6669

Correction.   Competitive gaming.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4256

Ilocano wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

Anything outside of  shooters doesn't merit anything from you so no need to go into details.
not really true. i think i've played most 'classic' PC games. not necessarily "competitive" either. i haven't looked for a competitive game since i was in my first year of university. quality just happens to normally correlate with competitive-viability. that's because, you know, competitive games kind of demand certain things: great balance, no bugs, good performance, high skill-curve, etc.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6669

Versus a single player game with an engaging storyline?
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4256
i'd say $1000+ of hardware investment for a single-player that lasts 5-40 hours is not really a good way to spend my money.

also: 'engaging storyline'. uuuuh, nah. i read books for a living. i could name the number of games that are meritorious for their 'storylines' or narrative on one hand. most games have hackneyed stories, or cliché and lush stereotype. i definitely would not invest in pc hardware if i wanted to experience 'rich storytelling'. games are a terrible medium for that. the main reason video-games are drawing far short of becoming 'art', imo. too formulaic. you're basically paying $1000+ to play an interactive michael bay movie.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-04-24 13:32:54)

GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6416|Finland

Been working 12 hour days. When I game I mean serious business. 120Hz monitor and you are forced to go with low quality settings unless you got decent hardware. GTX 480 wasn't enough, I much rather didn't play at all then. Now I can, just perhaps, enjoy myself when I feel like it.

Some people always keep bugging me why the f*** did you put 450€ on your processor. Well, it has already saved few DAYS of my time in certain tasks. Yes, not even OC'd 3930K is good enough for everything. It is just as good as you can get now. I would gladly drop 500€ more if I got decent improvement again.
3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6669

What kind of gaming is that?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard