Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4407
i never said once that 'science PhD's are worth less than humanities'. i have never once, ever, on this forum made a remark about any one academic subject being more 'worthy' than another. i think you are having difficulty reading rather simple prose. i said "a PhD a career in academia doth not make", which is completely true and uncontroversial. it was in response to you saying "i was offered 2 PhD placements", when we teased you about 'not being up to a career in academia'. the only meaning of my response is that PhD's are plentiful, and successful academics are not. i don't have exact stats but i know that generally about 5x as many people are viva'd as are employed in post-doc. so my (neutral) statement doesn't say anything about science vs. humanities. i don't go there. you do. i think it's an utterly stupid topic to go into.

and actually, just as many people bother studying humanities PhD's, just most of them do it 'for the love', as you so praised previously in d&st. but yes, you are correct, there are relatively few private industry applications for a PhD in philosophy or literature. i'm not sure how you can turn that into a devaluation of its intrinsic 'worth' though. the fact science has industry and invention (i.e. practical application) doesn't make the academic-intellectual endeavor a priori more 'valid'. it's just the way the job market works in a post-industrial economy. tying relations of inherent 'value' and 'merit' to job-market valuations is very silly. that would surely imply that economics and finance degrees are better than all others, even science PhD's, because of the high employment rate salary culture in banking. uuuuuh.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-04-21 03:41:02)

Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,054|6776|Little Bentcock
Bf2s AU D&ST Chats
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4407
dilderp
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6925|PNW

Another derailed Aussie thread.

Bring in the USA!
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6812|BC, Canada
How is stem vs. Humanities the biggest argument on the forums...
Adams_BJ
Because
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6812|BC, Canada
Because why adums?
Adams_BJ
Be-CAUSE
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6306|what

Humanities is for pooftahs!
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,813|6259|eXtreme to the maX
I've moved it to the hipster faggot college thread.

I hope you're all happy, or as happy as you can be given you're living in the classless hell which is Australia.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6592|King Of The Islands

Fuckin oath, ay cunt?
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6306|what

Dilbert_X wrote:

I've moved it to the hipster faggot college thread.

I hope you're all happy, or as happy as you can be given you're living in the classless hell which is Australia.
Which is still better than living in Adelaide.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,813|6259|eXtreme to the maX
I've been to Melbourne, Adelaide is OK.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6869

AussieReaper wrote:

at least theres bitches in humanities. you never see bitches in maths, science or engineering lectures. go to business courses for asian bitches, go humanities for some white bitches. all balances out bru.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6306|what

Cybargs wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

at least theres bitches in humanities. you never see bitches in maths, science or engineering lectures. go to business courses for asian bitches, go humanities for some white bitches. all balances out bru.
There's a shit ton of girls doing communication studies, trying to get into the media and sit behind a newsreader desk.

The odds are a million to one they'll get it to be honest.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4407
my alma mater was like 70:30 girls anyway (was originally one of the first universities for women in the country), as well as boasting one of the highest proportions of privately-educated students in the country. that meant a lot of top-quality, well looked-after posh honeys to not very many boys. in humanities one was really spoilt for choice.

and yeah aussie, there's a "shit ton" of guys doing "computer studies", trying to get into microsoft/google, too.

and the on-paper statistics suggest their odds are just as low. don't be misogynist. let the women have their education.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6306|what

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

my alma mater was like 70:30 girls anyway (was originally one of the first universities for women in the country), as well as boasting one of the highest proportions of privately-educated students in the country. that meant a lot of top-quality, well looked-after posh honeys to not very many boys. in humanities one was really spoilt for choice.

and yeah aussie, there's a "shit ton" of guys doing "computer studies", trying to get into microsoft/google, too.

and the on-paper statistics suggest their odds are just as low. don't be misogynist. let the women have their education.
Yeah but one is based on talent, the other on looks.

Sorry if that makes your uterus cry.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4407
not really sure where you're getting it from that 'communications' degrees all aim to make their graduates news-readers. but okay dave. cool sexism bro.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6306|what

I said shit-ton, not all.

For an english lit your english comprehension failure is quite ironic.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4407
it's the same thing, moron. a "shit-ton" of communications majors want to become newsreporters? LOL. that's like saying all english lit majors want to become writers. wow. you could at least check the subjects wikipedia page or something before going off on some inane rant about female students and their all-so-laughable ambitions.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-04-22 13:27:19)

Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5331|Sydney

AussieReaper wrote:

I said shit-ton, not all.

For an english lit your english comprehension failure is quite ironic.
You also said million to one, which is wildly inaccurate.

Just thought if you're going to split hairs we may as well split all the hairs.

Last edited by Jaekus (2013-04-22 15:02:14)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6925|PNW

There's a gif somewhere in that.
Adams_BJ
I would watch a hair splitting gif
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5331|Sydney
Dawn service at the Cenotaph in Martin Place. Lest we forget.
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6895|London

is David Jones a store that's fairly well known over here or not really?
https://imgur.com/kXTNQ8D.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard