Throwawaymoniker
+0|6754
Yeah, I guess it's the video card. I just can't figure out why it was running so well for so long with the same card. Also, the guy told me I need more RAM, when I've got 512 on this machine.

In terms of overall gaming, would it be better to spend money on a good video card, or another gig of RAM?
GTKtino
+0|6771
exactly my point it ran with the same video card and it was great until yesterday. and in single player it runs great for as long as i want, so IT CANT be the video card... so the problem is online based

Other ppl are also having this problem:

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmes … c=24333715

Last edited by GTKtino (2005-10-31 14:16:22)

xilix
+0|6768
Update to your newest video drivers.  If that doesnt work and the problem you guys are describing is where the last sound that was played before the lock up just keeps playing over and over...try turning off sound acceleration.  I had the same issues when i first bought the game a few months ago and disabling sound accel. fixed it for me.

start->run, type dxdiag and press enter
click the sound tab and move the slider all the way to the left

Hope this helps...
GTKtino
+0|6771
thx for the help xilix! but... like i said before if it plays perfectly in single player it must mean hardware and loads and sound are ok, but when i play on multiplayer it freezes up ! and a bunch of other ppl are having the same problem to.
Ryan_Mercury
"It's Recharging!"
+19|6821
Dude, if you guys are running nVidia, revert to the 77.77 drivers and that'll fix the problem, if you have ATI revert, revert, revert.

Remember, you don't always need the latest drivers. If your system is running fine and you have no need for the 'new' drivers, don't install them, as it's more likely than not, going to cause a problem.
xilix
+0|6768

GTKtino wrote:

thx for the help xilix! but... like i said before if it plays perfectly in single player it must mean hardware and loads and sound are ok, but when i play on multiplayer it freezes up ! and a bunch of other ppl are having the same problem to.
Maybe singleplayer is still good because there isnt as much chatter/other sounds going on.  Give dxdiag a shot!
xilix
+0|6768

Ryan_Mercury wrote:

Dude, if you guys are running nVidia, revert to the 77.77 drivers and that'll fix the problem, if you have ATI revert, revert, revert.

Remember, you don't always need the latest drivers. If your system is running fine and you have no need for the 'new' drivers, don't install them, as it's more likely than not, going to cause a problem.
Agreed, catalyst 5.8 works like a champ, 5.10  seems to have issues with the game.
shingara
+0|6774|the motherland uk
well im not to sure with the update driver thing, i never updated past the bf2 drivers on the disk, i know for sure my graphics card is powerful enough i run sli 7800 gtx's, i run 1meg cache have 2 sata drives and run on windows pro 64, my game worked fine till 3 days ago then bang, frooze, just my squad mate saying ge ge ge ge ge ge ge ge ge ge ge ge ge for about 10 mins, i restarted run a defrag and reg cleaner scanned for spyware and cleaned out everything on the pc that wasnt suppossed to be. restarted the game worked fine for 5 mins then went to turn left,,,,, turn man turn,   then 5 mins later i turned, ping of 23 and lag like im on dial up, but this may be the answer, i was on a server earlier today and the admin came on and told he was shutting the server down because the server had memory leakage, when it came back up it was fine, seemless play no lag no freeze till the map restarted. so id say all the aimbots or some geek trying to backdoor pb has knacked it up and maybe only the ppl with the new aimbot or whatever they use play normally

Last edited by shingara (2005-10-31 14:50:04)

Throwawaymoniker
+0|6754
The other weird thing is that the processes reports 100% cpu usage when bf2.exe is running. I don't really know a lot about it, but that can't be good.
fateit
+0|6820|Tacoma, Wa
I suggest defragging the drive you have BF2 installed on AND whatever drive you have "My Documents" on as that's where the shaders are stored. Before I doubled my ram to 2gigs that gave me a boost in performance. Then when I tried high settings, was fine single player but ran like crap online, more ram made it run smooth on "super high settings".
Bloody Sky
+2|6845|Texas

GTKtino wrote:

Yea i did it yesterday , but still no answer, wow we have the same model??

I sent them a good question about it, made it clear, so they wouldnt tell me to reinstall game or OS. But do u also have the Media Center edition?
Yes I do have the Media Center Edition along with my XP Professional.
GTKtino
+0|6771

Throwawaymoniker wrote:

The other weird thing is that the processes reports 100% cpu usage when bf2.exe is running. I don't really know a lot about it, but that can't be good.
yup when i am able to bring up the task manager after like 5 min or so, it reads 100% cpu usage yet bf2 is not responding and no other programs are running, thats weird
Bloody Sky
+2|6845|Texas
Hmmm think this has something to do with it?

http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?pa … rt-bf2.php

And I'll try the drivers thing, but I NEVER had the older versions of my nVidia drivers because this card is quite new. It worked fine for so long before yesterday, why should it matter now?

Last edited by Bloody Sky (2005-10-31 15:16:48)

Throwawaymoniker
+0|6754

GTKtino wrote:

Throwawaymoniker wrote:

yup when i am able to bring up the task manager after like 5 min or so, it reads 100% cpu usage yet bf2 is not responding and no other programs are running, thats weird
And did you say it just started happing last night?
Throwawaymoniker
+0|6754

Bloody Sky wrote:

Hmmm think this has something to di with it?

http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?pa … rt-bf2.php
Could be. That's around when it probably started happening.  Really strange....

Sunday 10.30.2005 [2:45PM]

Version 1.212 of the PB Client for BF2 has been released to our PB Master Servers for auto-update and to our website download page. This is a maintenance release.
{TLD}Emu
+0|6754
Same problem here :S

It couldnt be a hardware problem, because before everything worked well, just now...

I have Amd 3000+ 1g ram and ati 9600xt/256mb so the platform dont matter...
GTKtino
+0|6771

Throwawaymoniker wrote:

GTKtino wrote:

Throwawaymoniker wrote:

And did you say it just started happing last night?
yesterday in the afternoon, dont know the hour tho, but damn i was so happy cuz i played about 1 game, (half of one, half of another) until it froze again!!! illl try that PB thing
FoodNipple101
I like grapes.
+1|6759
Ive got the same problem it just freezes. EA sucks this is my last product im buying from them ever. Just like Halo 2 was my last bungie. Anyway they better find a fucking way to fix this i paid 50 bucks for this game and have had nothing but problems
solarium_rider
+0|6764
Anyone try using pbweb to update your client manually?  I'll try it next time I boot into that OS.
GTKtino
+0|6771
Ill try that today(the pb thing); last hope, until ea stops trick or treatin and answers my email.
onkelodd
+1|6754|Tromsø, Norway
This has to be a global problem, and not something about os/drivers/cards, etc. It was happening all over today. We were 4 friends playing together, and all of us suddenly had the same problem. We have all been running the game for a while now, and never had this problem before.
solarium_rider
+0|6764
Updating pb manually using pbweb seems to work, I was able to play for about 5 minutes (didn't have time to test it any more than that.)

Basically go here: http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=updatepb.php  download pbweb.exe save it to your pb directory and then run it.  It took like 5-10 minutes to run on my computer (downloads seemed to be really slow, this could be why it wasn't updating properly.)
GTKtino
+0|6771
havent tried it yet, but if its not that I have another Idea, maybe the CPU is overheating???
Bloody Sky
+2|6845|Texas
I doubt ALL of our CPUs are overheating. Ill try the PB thing later.

Keep us updated!
Heretic
+3|6778
Played 5 hours today on an offical EA server ( all I play on with my second account ) and no problems. Won 19 rounds in a row. Drivers and videocard issues I tell you.

I guess most of you didn't see my first post.

Your video card affects your connection with this game. Why ? I don't know. Turn down your graphics and try changing drivers. (certified of course )

If you still have problems, too bad for you. Hope you get it working.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard