Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

Spearhead wrote:

This has been quite an interesting tuesday morning.

Uzi what do you think about that IQ Bell Curve thing?  Is it just cultural bias?  Or is IQ related to education as well?
i think the IQ test is clearly going to favour someone of a certain cultural and formal-educational background.

if you took an asian person, and raised them in africa, and took an african person, and raised them in a well-to-do english family... who would get a better score? come on.
You think so? Sure, for stuff like anagrams, having the ability to read well is essential, but a lot of questions on IQ tests are simple matching and/or problem solving based on patterns (anagrams are as well, but you can 'cheat' by having a large vocabulary).

Last edited by Jay (2013-03-26 06:32:03)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686

Jay wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

Spearhead wrote:

Uzi what do you think about that IQ Bell Curve thing?  Is it just cultural bias?  Or is IQ related to education as well?
i think the IQ test is clearly going to favour someone of a certain cultural and formal-educational background.

if you took an asian person, and raised them in africa, and took an african person, and raised them in a well-to-do english family... who would get a better score? come on.
You think so? Sure, for stuff like anagrams, having the ability to read well is essential, but a lot of questions on IQ tests are simple matching and/or problem solving based on patterns (anagrams are as well, but you can 'cheat' by having a large vocabulary).
There aren't anagrams in chinese jay.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4224

Jay wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

Spearhead wrote:

i do think that a formal education system predicated on logic and analytical reasoning will make you better at IQ tests, yes. it's all practice of those rational faculties.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6644|Canberra, AUS
I'm positive that there's very strong evidence that IQ tests are culturally "biased". I'll have a look later.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5555

Maybe FM will show up and make a defense of race and intelligence just like the good old days.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4224
i notice the people leaping to pseudo-scientifically defend theories of race and intelligence are always people suspiciously privileged by such theories. members of the favorably-looked-upon race who seem, also, to have a not inconsiderable amount of personal insecurity issues and petty frustrations... funny, that. objective science really shines a light, sometimes!

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-03-26 09:14:02)

DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6654|United States of America
I'm shocked that we're still having to have a discussion of this sort in 2013.
Roc18
`
+655|5760|PROLLLY PROLLLY PROLLLY

DesertFox- wrote:

Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4224

Roc18 wrote:

DesertFox- wrote:

why don't you give dilbert another encouraging high-five karma. yes mastuh. you real funny mastuh.

i bet dilbert sees you as his little pickaninny.
Roc18
`
+655|5760|PROLLLY PROLLLY PROLLLY

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

Roc18 wrote:

DesertFox- wrote:

why don't you give dilbert another encouraging high-five karma. yes mastuh. you real funny mastuh.

i bet dilbert sees you as his little pickaninny.
lol
coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6679|England. Stoke
Wow some of the shit I have just read over the last few pages...
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4224

coke wrote:

i think you might like to clarify what you think is "shit", because dilbert really does think self-assuredly that he is in the know, here.
coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6679|England. Stoke

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

coke wrote:

i think you might like to clarify what you think is "shit", because dilbert really does think self-assuredly that he is in the know, here.
By "shit" I mean the startlingly racism veiled in debunked pseudo-science.
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5148|Sydney
The thing I find incredible is the belief that genetics (ie. race) predisposes people towards intelligence, "brain performance" and the like, and compare this to penis size. And by incredible I mean so fucking sad it's incredible.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4224
white patriarchal science elite have had to find lots of reasons throughout history to justify things like continued colonial rule, patriarchal-liberal 'managing' of decolonized states, "we know what's best for you" ism, and other general piffery that has justified things ranging from slavery to eugenics throughout the ages.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5555

British colonialism in the new world was much worse than Spanish and Portuguese in many ways.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Jaekus wrote:

The thing I find incredible is the belief that genetics (ie. race) predisposes people towards intelligence, "brain performance" and the like, and compare this to penis size. And by incredible I mean so fucking sad it's incredible.
Why is that really so absurd? Natural selection works in humans, does it not? The only reason the idea has been pushed aside is because it's impolite and it's been used in a condescending manner to prove racial superiority and as an excuse to 'put people in their place'. Look, there are differences between different races, my kids are far less likely to become good enough at sports to make it at a pro level compared to the kids of a black family. Black people are just generally faster, bigger and stronger. So what? Why is it ok to say that, but it's abhorrent to suggest that maybe black Americans have lower intelligence on average due to genetics? I'm just kind of curious why the line has been drawn there.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jaekus
+957|5148|Sydney
Wow.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5555

And the Jews are uppity.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Jaekus wrote:

Wow.
Why wow? Have you even put any thought into your opinion? Like, serious thought?
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4224

Macbeth wrote:

British colonialism in the new world was much worse than Spanish and Portuguese in many ways.
where am i singling out nations? or are you just using this as the opportune moment to drop me a one-line cite'n'write from some course reading material you've stumbled through lately. well done, have a point.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4224

Jay wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

Why is that really so absurd? Natural selection works in humans, does it not? The only reason the idea has been pushed aside is because it's impolite and it's been used in a condescending manner to prove racial superiority and as an excuse to 'put people in their place'. Look, there are differences between different races, my kids are far less likely to become good enough at sports to make it at a pro level compared to the kids of a black family. Black people are just generally faster, bigger and stronger. So what? Why is it ok to say that, but it's abhorrent to suggest that maybe black Americans have lower intelligence on average due to genetics? I'm just kind of curious why the line has been drawn there.
because there is no exact 'gene' for intelligence. your brain capacity isn't determined for you, forever, in the same way like your height is. intelligence really is not that simple. it's not like fucking eye-colour. jesus.
Jaekus
+957|5148|Sydney
You basically said that people of Negroid descent are less intelligent than Caucasians.

How does this fit with your other statement that people like Roc aren't black, they're American?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

Jay wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

because there is no exact 'gene' for intelligence. your brain capacity isn't determined for you, forever, in the same way like your height is. intelligence really is not that simple. it's not like fucking eye-colour. jesus.
It's been proven that it's not necessarily inheritable, as two people of genius level intellect could have intellectually sub-average offspring. That's a very small sample size though. I'd venture that on average, people with higher intellect will tend to produce children of higher intellect, given a large sample pool.

Last edited by Jay (2013-03-26 15:08:34)

-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Jaekus wrote:

You basically said that people of Negroid descent are less intelligent than Caucasians.

How does this fit with your other statement that people like Roc aren't black, they're American?
No, I said it's a possibility that can't be dismissed just because it's unpleasant. I said Roc's culture is American. I very much hate identity politics.
-Frederick Bastiat

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard