Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5174|Sydney

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

don't kid yourself. asians are regarded as a second-class citizen in uk elite institutions. a free money train, barely making a pass, just to get the 'esteem' of the institution/degree, before fucking back off home to an asian employment market that won't care about pesky details such as the 'grade' of the degree. most of them can barely pass conversational english. they're not "stealing" or "taking over" anything. they come and do business/management/economics courses, walk around carrying harrods bags to 'get noticed' by a willing mate/partner,  and then leave/fail to get a visa after education expires.
https://wtfhub.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/High-Expectations-Asian-Father-template-407x250.jpg
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4250

13urnzz wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

brand-logo culture and conspicuous material wealth are western inventions.
yeah. they buried King Tut in gold, like all the other egyptians of his time.

for an intellectual lightweight you*re an idiot.
lol. like that's even the same thing. did king tut's sarcophagus have a louis vuitton logo on it? i'm hardly saying that precious metals and jewels are a 'western' invention. they're about as old as the oldest african tribes. what i'm saying is that defining yourself through "what you buy" as a "consumer", i.e. consumerism/materialism, i.e. conspicuous wealth, is a western capitalist thing. lol you berk, king tut. because a king who commands great wealth as a result of his hereditary power and quasi-godlike role is the same thing as a generation of people all buying expensive designer handbags and driving german automobiles. they are predicated on entirely different systems: western consumerism is based on the democracy and (rampant) individualism that promotes the essential driving myth of capitalist labour: that anyone, who works hard enough (like a good little protestant), can have all this wealth, if you only put your back in enough. that's the myth that sustains the sense of value that 'luxury' goods have on a society-wide level. an autocratic ancient leader ain't really the same thing.

for a person with a drinking problem, you slur your thoughts like an alcoholic.

and cybargs, yeah, exactly, the chinese sensibility and whole concept of 'face' translates really well into a hyperactive modern phase of capitalism. now all those things that were previously immaterial and based on qualitative notions of 'family respect' and 'esteem' and 'propriety' can become manifest in expensive trinkets and icons. quantitative material displays, rather than a nebulous 'reputation'. it's just another way of distinguishing yourself and making out you are doing 'well' and are 'proper'. of course the actual value of logo xyz is pretty arbitrary - but they live in a social culture which sustains the symbolic value of these brands. almost all developing nations that are coming into the capitalist 'world order' have an upwardly-mobile bourgeoisie who clearly feel some structural-level pressure to buy the right goods and bedeck themselves in the accoutrements of 'wealth' and 'luxury'. it's an aspirational lifestyle, through and through.

and why is it easier to get into foreign posh unis, do you think? because it's certainly not a case of their actual admission standards/educational standards being lower. is it just a pure numbers game, back at home? lots of people and not very many world-class institutions? i know for a fact that anyone willing to pay 3x the native tuition fee rate - especially for a postgraduate course - will be very welcomed over here. universities pretty much set aside a certain quota of their annual entry for international students, whose exorbitant fees floats a nice portion of the budget. the best thing? universities in the west get ranked more favorably, as well, for their 'international mix'. lol. it's a win/win. even if some of the students are way below ability.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-03-22 02:17:06)

Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4250

THE FUTURE IS HERE
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6101|eXtreme to the maX
No one really gets the irony when they go into debt to hire-purchase something which would be barely a bauble for a rich person.

The point of being rich isn't to own lots of stuff with badges on it.

The was a kid at school who had a single Harrods bag, each weekend he'd return with some new piece of crap in the Harrods bag as if he went to Harrods every Saturday.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4250
i don't know, i think if these asian kids can afford to drive a ferrari throughout term, and live in a £1k/month rented accommodation in leafy surrey, they're not doing too badly. i don't think it's fake display. genuine arrivistes. in the west the pressure of consumerist 'you are what you own' culture has definitely led to a lot of bad lending and total credit dependency, like a capital crack addiction. however the asians you see over here at top schools are very much the lucky 1% riding off the wave back home. their harrods bags are most definitely full of new shit.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5581

I wish our country gave greencards to international students who complete degrees here. We shouldn't be educating them and then sending them home. Especially when they have money.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4250
13/f/taiwan linked me to a video that basically makes the argument that most of america's intellectual economy and knowledge/culture prestige comes from the 'genius visa' being granted to the world's top scholars/thinkers/writers/inventors, anyway. that certainly holds true across the range of top american institutions and their postgraduate research. it's mostly all foreigners. the world-leading research and esteem of your top institutions doesn't actually say much about american education at all, especially at high school level. it's foreign immigrants who are putting out all the excellence and winning all the nobel prizes and fields medals. just they do it in america because you have more money and resources to fuel their research. interesting academic profile.
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6187|Roma
iiittttttttt's BBQ weather!
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png
Toilet Sex
one love, one pig
+1,775|6567

it's a bit snowy here
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6712

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

i don't know, i think if these asian kids can afford to drive a ferrari throughout term, and live in a £1k/month rented accommodation in leafy surrey, they're not doing too badly. i don't think it's fake display. genuine arrivistes. in the west the pressure of consumerist 'you are what you own' culture has definitely led to a lot of bad lending and total credit dependency, like a capital crack addiction. however the asians you see over here at top schools are very much the lucky 1% riding off the wave back home. their harrods bags are most definitely full of new shit.
It's like how Chinese people drink starbucks (in china) to show off they can buy western luxuries, not because of the fact they like coffee.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5581

Take it to the racism thread guys
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4250

Cybargs wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

It's like how Chinese people drink starbucks (in china) to show off they can buy western luxuries, not because of the fact they like coffee.
my friend who just got done living his year in korea said that the 'coffee shop' culture there is really insane. like, it's where all the hip and bright young things HAVE to spend their free-time: being seen hanging out in coffee shops. it reminds me when 'starbucks' first became cool over here in the UK, as this new social thing more than just a shop, where in the early 00's my friends used to go and 'hang out' there, just because. same era as myspace. i thankfully gave all that shit a miss. now i can mock them for it. western kids should know better.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5581

What part of use the racism thread don't you people understand?
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4250
please go take some more anti-psych meds and chill out
what do you mean ' you people'?
Roc18
`
+655|5786|PROLLLY PROLLLY PROLLLY

Cybargs wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

That's why hipsters buy Starbucks as well.
Roc18
`
+655|5786|PROLLLY PROLLLY PROLLLY

Kimmmmmmmmmmmm wrote:

He means black people.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6218|Escea

Kimmmmmmmmmmmm wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6627|949

Cybargs wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

Or wine, or scotch, or pretty much anything. When we get people visiting for work from china, taiwan or korea, generally their first question is, "where are the outlets?" They want to buy the lv, coach, chanel, etc. One korean guy (who has a busted grill by the way. Take care of your fucking teeth) wears a suit with a $300 lv belt. I overheard him mention he doesn't have a bed- just a mattress on the floor of the 1 room apartment he shares with a friend. Lives like a college student so he can afford air jordans, louis belts and expensive suits.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5581

Heard a story from a guy that teaches Engrish in China that a student's father spent a months worth of income on makeup so that the other students won't think his daughter was poor.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6663

Foreign uni's have helped in reducing suicide rates...
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5354|London, England
How awesome does this look?
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/429606_616974951649585_344959275_n.png
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5581

You nasty fatass
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5960|London, England

macbeth what is your favorite color
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5354|London, England
You don't like meatloaf!?
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard