Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6620|Little Bentcock
Feel like I havent been making gains in a while. though my legs have gotten stronger. Haven't gained weight in a little while either. Bummed.
baggs
+732|6202

Adams_BJ wrote:

Feel like I havent been making gains in a while. though my legs have gotten stronger. Haven't gained weight in a little while either. Bummed.
Try mixing it up a little?

Are you deadlifting and squatting?
Adams_BJ
I am due for a fresh routine I think. Squats, no deadlifts.
baggs
+732|6202

Adams_BJ wrote:

I am due for a fresh routine I think. Squats, no deadlifts.
Get on the deadlifts bru, gains will be made. You're halfway there with squats, just be careful tho, get the technique solid and then push for more weight. I can't stress technique enough when it comes to the deadlifts. And don't worry about the weight, you can DL 40-60kg for a long time, you can just up the reps and get crazy with it, like 10x10 and set yourself a time limit then try to beat it each week. Get your lower back really strong.

Where are you looking to make the gains the most? All over? Aesthetic areas like arms and chest?

Last edited by baggs (2013-03-07 18:27:20)

Adams_BJ
All over, mainly for sport reasons. I made about 4kgs of gains in the first couple months, but took a two week break when on holidays and have slowed down since I can't afford to feed myself right now so I'm not too worried for the moment.
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5176|Sydney
Deadlifts are great. It's not hard to get right, though many get it wrong. Just remember to maintain a straight back at all times and at the start of the lifting apply tension to your arms before the lift, so once you push through with your heels to lift the weight your arms are already bearing some weight and simply maintain the position whilst you clear the bar past your knees and then straighten up whilst pulling your shoulders back to complete the lift. You'll make a bit of noise when returning the weight to the floor on heavy lifts, which is normal. Just ensure you are controlling the weight on  the way down instead of dropping it.

Anyway, you're best off watching it on youtube or reading about it in Starting Strength.

PS: left my straps at home the other day after moving to Sydney the night before. First exercise was deadlifts. 7x 120kg without straps, using alternate grip. Previously I was struggling to do the same on 110kg. feltgoodbro.jpg
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6103|eXtreme to the maX
The HR managerette is pressuring me into going to the company-paid gym after work.

How can I get out of this hell?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Jaekus
+957|5176|Sydney
Here's a vid for you.

Jaekus
+957|5176|Sydney
This guy is truly inspirational.

Fit at 102: Ray Clark is proof that it’s never too late to start exercising

It wasn’t the toll from lugging a heavy tool box to work that finally sent Ray Clark to the gym. It was something more profound. He lost his wife of 67 years. Then he lost his daughter. He was looking for something to fill the empty hours.

“I was getting a little lazy at home, and I decided I’d go down to the exercise club,” he recalled.

At 102, Ray Clark stays fit with the help of Thom Hunter, his 70-year old fitness trainer.

That was more than three years ago, when Clark was 98. As he turned 102 last week, Clark was able to curl
40 pounds, work out vigorously on a rowing machine and deftly pluck bouncing eight-pound kettle bells from the air with the hand-eye coordination of a much younger man.

“He’s a tenacious son of a gun,” said Thom Hunter, Clark’s 70-year-old personal trainer at the Sport&Health club in the Lakeforest section of Gaithersburg. “They built them tougher in those days. He doesn’t say he can’t do it until he tries and sees he can’t.”

In a single 151-pound package, Clark embodies some of the greatest hopes and concerns that public health experts have for the fitness and health of the “older old,” the growing population of people over 85. Clark has significantly improved his strength, balance, endurance and range of motion over the past three years, staving off frailty, possibly saving untold medical costs and proving that gains can be made at any age.
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6189|Roma
wow my legs are like jelly. tomorrow is going to be sore
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5997|...

Adams_BJ wrote:

All over, mainly for sport reasons. I made about 4kgs of gains in the first couple months, but took a two week break when on holidays and have slowed down since I can't afford to feed myself right now so I'm not too worried for the moment.
You're lifting for sports & not deadlifting or squatting....

those are easily the two most important lifts for 99% of athletes who do weightlifting on the side. Start doing them. Now.
inane little opines
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6103|eXtreme to the maX

Jaekus wrote:

Here's a vid for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=nLRQvK2-iqQ
Thats not really helping.

Apparently its the gym the Adelaide Crows use, so I guess the equipment will be good but will have AFL AIDS and horse steroids on it.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Adams_BJ

Shocking wrote:

Adams_BJ wrote:

those are easily the two most important lifts for 99% of athletes who do weightlifting on the side. Start doing them. Now.
Maybe she wants to strengthen my back/legs/etc with other movements before getting me to do deadlifts v0v
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6734|Oxferd Ohire
weakling
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Jaekus
+957|5176|Sydney

Adams_BJ wrote:

Shocking wrote:

Adams_BJ wrote:

Maybe she wants to strengthen my back/legs/etc with other movements before getting me to do deadlifts v0v
Deadlifts will strengthen your lower back more than any other exercise. You can always start light and work your way up.

My current routine is as follows. 6-8 is the rep range; if I hit all three sets in that range I go up in weight next workout. If one or more sets don't reach a minimum rep count then I maintain that weight next workout and aim to increase reps. Thus progressive overload is achieved.

Workout A

Squats, 3x 6-8
Bench press, 3x 6-8
Cable rows, 3x 6-8
Tricep push downs, 1x 10-12
Calf extensions on the leg press machine, 2x 10-12

Workout B

Deadlifts, 3x 6-8
Seated dumbbell shoulder press, 3x 6-8
Lat pulldown, 3x 6-8
EZ curl bar bicep curls, 1x 10-12
Dip station looking thing for straight leg raises (abs), 2x 10-12

Last edited by Jaekus (2013-03-18 21:06:58)

Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4840|Amsterdam
Would rowing give me more gains?
It always seems like it's just another form of cardio, but for some reason a lot of people that pick up rowing bulk up at least a bit.
Jaekus
+957|5176|Sydney
Probably similar to how cyclists have developed legs.

https://sphotos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/45388_576201039071385_118782058_n.jpg
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5997|...
This guy is so impossibly strong

inane little opines
Jaekus
+957|5176|Sydney
RIP Joe Weider

Bodybuilding icon Joe Weider dies

Bodybuilding icon Joe Weider, who created the Mr Olympia contest and mentored a young Arnold Schwarzenegger, has died age 93.

Weider was also known for a magazine empire that included such publications as Muscle and Fitness, Shape and Men's Fitness.

He died of heart failure, his publicist Charlotte Parker said.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/image/4590884-3x2-700x467.jpg
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4840|Amsterdam
In the 2nd cycle of 5/3/1 you just add 5kg to squat and deadlift and 2.5 to bench and ohp right?
I wasn't too sure if you added it to your 1RM or to the individu amount across the schedule.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5997|...
All sets are calculated off of your max, though if you're at a low weight kg wise the formula may not work very well. Say your OHP is 40 kg - the formula will probably have you do 35x5+ 35x3+ and 40x1+. You'll have to more or less intuitively adjust it to 30x5, 35x3, 40x1. As long as you have a weekly progression going in a cycle it's good.
inane little opines
Adams_BJ
I get a tingling pain on the inside of my bicep and my thumb when lowering the weight during bicep curls. Just my right. Never done this before but last night and last week it did.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5997|...
warming up properly may prevent the pain or ease it. For all the talk about training routines, there's undeservingly little attention given to warmups, rest times and post-workout activities, all of which are extremely important and supportive in achieving your goals by maximizing efficiency and minimizing injury.

Look up the gregg everett warm up routine. I'm almost certain a proper warm up will prevent the pain you're describing.
inane little opines
Adams_BJ
I've usually done a full warm up by then, and I'm at the stage where I am starting to warm down. It's not on the way up, and if I lower my arm without rotating it it is fine, it feels like a nerve is being pinched as I get the weight below horizontal and twisting it to rest at my side.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5997|...
ya that's what I figured from what you posted, you'd think that it gets out of the way following a good warm up. Anyway, try some other curl variations (db/bb/isolation/standing etc) and stick with the one that doesn't trigger the pain.

Chin ups involve a similar movement as well and are heavy on the bicep, see if it hurts doing these.
inane little opines

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard