- New density system
- Upgradable public buildings

Cons:
- Simplified
- Graphics look poop on my laptop
- Online only!
- Smaller cities
- Sewage management annoys me muchly

I was thinking if anyone else here plays they can jump in my region and get involved.

It's called Bahia Bay
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

Did they replace power lines and water with sewage? That seems kind of stupid if they did. Online only is so stupid but its not a dealbreaker for me like it seems to be for a bunch of complainers. Can you expand on the simplicity complaint? Same with smaller cities.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6123|what

The cities sizes are too small and the servers have serious issues.

Other than that I like the game play. Got fucked over last night when I ran out of water - not sure if there's a way for it to refill your region or I needed to be smarter about placing water towers, etc
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
if you needed power lines you were doing it wrong
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
bennisboy
+829|6616|Poundland

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Did they replace power lines and water with sewage? That seems kind of stupid if they did. Online only is so stupid but its not a dealbreaker for me like it seems to be for a bunch of complainers. Can you expand on the simplicity complaint? Same with smaller cities.
Nah, all the utilities are now integrated into the road system, so that when you place roads, that all goes with it. Which is kind of what I meant by the simplified. It is also much harder to make a loss.

Sewage is just a pain, your cities create so much sewage, and you have to have outflow pipes or sewage treatment plants (so expensive) but they never seem to have enough capacity

Online only isn't bad, unless you dont have access to the internet!
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6123|what

How'd you get more water? My water table evaporated (I was heavy industry mind).
bennisboy
+829|6616|Poundland

AussieReaper wrote:

How'd you get more water? My water table evaporated (I was heavy industry mind).
No idea. Have you tried a pumping station with a purification module?
Or I guess you buy from the region?
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6592|Little Bentcock
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6592|Little Bentcock
I haven't got it yet. Didn't have the money this week + I hear its hell to get on the servers right now
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6660|Tampa Bay Florida
Might end up trying it out -- but seeing as how Ive been playing simcity 4 recently I'm expecting to be half/disappointed half/satisfied

I can never decide whether or not to "boycott" EA.  I do not want them to continue doing this shit with all their games.  But, as we saw with Dead Space 3, not buying their games doesn't mean they'll change the way they do business.  Theyll just kill the developers.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6123|what

Turns out that the server side features have been disabled for the most part as EA was hit with a lot more bandwidth than they were expecting.

As a result a lot of people are pissed off - rightly so.

EA has said they'll add more servers and enable the features (global trade / cross city sharing of resources, etc) and everyone who bought it will get a free pc game from their catalog.

If they can fix the server issues this could be a really good game.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6123|what

Here's the article where I got the above info from

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21741528

Electronics Arts has apologised for the shambolic launch of the latest version of town-planning title SimCity.

Gamers have reported long queues to play, bugs and other glitches since SimCity launched on 5 March.

The company said the way it had set up the launch had been "dumb" and that it "really feels bad" about the way gamers had suffered.

As compensation, all those who bought SimCity will be offered a free Electronics Arts PC game this month.

Since the game launched, the online computers that co-ordinate play have been regularly overwhelmed.

Many gamers reported waiting 30 minutes or more before they could start to construct a city and said the game was sluggish once they were playing. Others said it often crashed or was slow to respond to changes.

The troubles led online store Amazon to briefly suspend sales of the download version of the game.

In a blogpost, Lucy Bradshaw, general manager for SimCity, said the way Electronics Arts (EA) and Maxis, the studio that created the game, had set up the servers had contributed to the problems.

Unlike all other versions of SimCity, the latest requires gamers to remain online while they play, as each city they construct sits on a chunk of virtual territory shared with other players.

These regions share certain over-arching characteristics such as crime levels, resources and pollution.

However, said Ms Bradshaw, the way people played the finished game was very different to what EA and Maxis had seen during early, or beta, testing.

She wrote: "A lot more people logged on than we expected. More people played, and played in ways we never saw in the beta."

"OK, we agree that was dumb, but we are committed to fixing it," she added.

To clear the queues, EA had doubled the number of servers supporting the game, Ms Bradshaw said.

In addition, it had engineers working on fixes for the bugs.

This work, said Ms Bradshaw, had led the number of "disrupted experiences" to drop by 80%.

Features that had been turned off late last week to help lighten the load on servers would be restored soon, she added.

As compensation for the trouble, players would soon be offered a free PC game from EA's catalogue, said Ms Bradshaw.

Emails detailing how to claim the free game would be sent out on 18 March, she added.
"Features that had been turned off late last week to help lighten the load on servers would be restored soon, she added."

Which is why the online play is a bit screwed when it comes to sharing resources (ie garbage trucks, electricity) and that trade is also messed up (trade depot export/import).
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4224
i have no idea why people still support EA games
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6123|what

what an original, edgy opinion you have there
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4224
why (and how?) should an opinion about a giant gaming company be 'original'? also quite ironic that you say that, being the least original or individually-thinking person on this forum. you are the internet sheep par excellence. and it's not as if the EA hatred is based on a fashion, or whim. complaining about EA games after buying their latest schlock is like visiting a hooker that you pay to beat you up, and then complaining afterwards about your contusions.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-03-12 05:08:28)

Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6745|Moscow, Russia
always-on DRM. no, thanks.
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6123|what

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

why (and how?) should an opinion about a giant gaming company be 'original'? also quite ironic that you say that, being the least original or individually-thinking person on this forum. you are the internet sheep par excellence. and it's not as if the EA hatred is based on a fashion, or whim. complaining about EA games after buying their latest schlock is like visiting a hooker that you pay to beat you up, and then complaining afterwards about your contusions.
Be sure to update us on how you feel after actually playing the game.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4224
mass complaints and whines about yet another bungled EA operation aren't making me impatient to part with my £40.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
I somehow find it hard to believe that they could not just update Simcity 4 (which I've been sinking dozens of hours into over the past year) and add the new "features" this new one has without fundamentally breaking the game.  I'm going to wait 6 months.  If they sell bigger regions as DLC, fuck EA forever.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6687|Riva, MD
Sim City 4 is 10 years old now for one thing, they're definitely not going to keep investing man hours into that when they could make a brand new modernized product to make money off of.  This way they start from scratch with an engine optimized for modern computers, and they can dumb the gameplay down as needed to appeal to more people, while being able to easily tack on paid DLC, and force you to be online all the time in an attempt at combating piracy.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4224

_j5689_ wrote:

Sim City 4 is 10 years old now for one thing, they're definitely not going to keep investing man hours into that when they could make a brand new modernized product to make money off of.  This way they start from scratch with an engine optimized for modern computers, and they can dumb the gameplay down as needed to appeal to more people, while being able to easily tack on paid DLC, and force you to be online all the time in an attempt at combating piracy.
sounds great! amazon or bestbuy?!?
bennisboy
+829|6616|Poundland
Yeah EA have messed up the launch and with the DRM, but I haven't actually had any of the problems with servers. Sure mine disconnects occasionally, but I just keep playing until I reconnects without issue.

The actual game is really fun and addictive as always. Some frustrations (like limited water supplies) and things that could be improved, but overall it's good
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

Shahter wrote:

why are people so adamantly opposed to this?

And of course they are going to add DLC as paid content.  That and microtransactions are the new gaming business model.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
Where are these people who didnt play the other simcity "because they were too complicated"???!?!?!  WHERE THE FUCK ARE THESE PEOPLE???!!?

Only 10 year old girls and 65 year old seniors do not "understand" how to play games.

And GUESS WHAT.  THEYRE NOT BUYING IT ANYWAY

CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS ANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRR

Last edited by Spearhead (2013-03-12 12:00:52)

bennisboy
+829|6616|Poundland

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Shahter wrote:

why are people so adamantly opposed to this?

And of course they are going to add DLC as paid content.  That and microtransactions are the new gaming business model.
Part of sim city appeal was you could literally use it to kill time anywhere. The problem with always online DRM is that it inevitably inconveniences the people that buy the game, not the pirates who always find ways around it.

Also there is no need for sim city to have to be played online, it's perfectly fine offline

Oh and when EA inevitably shuts down the servers, no more sim city even though you bought the game

Last edited by bennisboy (2013-03-12 12:44:56)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard