pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6282|Washington St.
noice

My buddy and I were having a discussion earlier:
Is it considered "Getting up on your first try" when you get up the first time the boat pulls the line and you manage to stand up?
Or is it any time you manage to stand up within the first 'round' of the boat pulling you, i.e. the first few attempts before you give up?
tuckergustav
+1,590|5905|...

pirana6 wrote:

noice

Is it considered "Getting up on your first try" when you get up the first time the boat pulls the line and you manage to stand up?
Or is it any time you manage to stand up within the first 'round' of the boat pulling you, i.e. the first few attempts before you give up?
Trick question...PV is so excited, he is already up. Hey-OH!!
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6183|Roma

pirana6 wrote:

noice

depends how competitive you are I guess. Never thought about it.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6614|Little Bentcock

pirana6 wrote:

noice

First time the boat pulls you
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6282|Washington St.
Booked our annual trip to vegas this june. Always a larf with the boys for a few days.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5577

Kentucky fried chicken
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6623|949

pirana6 wrote:

Booked our annual trip to vegas this june. Always a larf with the boys for a few days.
Going to vegas on friday. W00t
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5465|Ventura, California
I swear in on Monday
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6097|eXtreme to the maX
Lady Gaga FINALLY did a video for 'Dance in the Dark'

prolly one of the best music videos of all time

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2013-03-01 22:53:01)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6183|Roma
Simulator finished! Nothing to be tested on for 6months of sun, spending, comfortable work.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5577

-Sh1fty- wrote:

I swear in on Monday
You are sort of ruining your life by choosing the military over college if you don't have to. Have fun though!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

Not really. Don't see why you wouldn't want to do college first, and then join to get a higher paygrade, though.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6707

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Not really. Don't see why you wouldn't want to do college first, and then join to get a higher paygrade, though.
why do that when GI bill can cover most of your tuition. but shifty's homeschooling and financial situation might not allow him to go to college...
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6402|'Murka

Some people simply aren't ready for college right away.

Some of the best students I've ever seen in any discipline are prior service.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4246

Dilbert_X wrote:

Lady Gaga FINALLY did a video for 'Dance in the Dark'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk5RORfkeok
derivative trash 3/10
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4246

FEOS wrote:

ya you're not biased at all though are you
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6402|'Murka

No. I went to college straight away.

I noticed it when I was in college, lo these many years ago.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5349|London, England

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

FEOS wrote:

ya you're not biased at all though are you
He's right though. Being older when you hit college generally makes you take it more seriously. Most prior service already got the need for running wild in the dorms and breaking as many rules as possible stuff out of their system when they hit campus. Most 18 year olds really can't handle the freedom well.

But then again, that's why first year classes tend to be so easy... so it balances a bit.

Last edited by Jay (2013-03-01 08:18:22)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4246
i know a lot of 18 year olds that couldn't 'handle the freedom', sure, but i also knew a lot of mature students that had lost their energy, their wit, and their quickness. when you get older, your ideas tend to ossify and harden. are you saying a person who spent the better part of a decade in a warzone is going to have the same same youthful vigour and (necessary) naivety for taking on new ideas? young people are good at college because its a unique environment that actually encourages a little bit of idealism and big thinking. all the old mature students in my classes - and there were a lot at postgraduate, because of the nature of the course/funding; it's not a rite-of-passage for young people, necessarily, so the age distribution balances out - were noticeably slower on the uptake, and far more resistant to outre ideas. most of them, that i spoke to anyway, ended up doing quite conservative, boring work. i don't really think you can generalize 'work ethic' and 'motivation' based on age, and accuse young people of somehow 'squandering' their opportunities. that's just such a boring, typical old-person complaint.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

i know a lot of 18 year olds that couldn't 'handle the freedom', sure, but i also knew a lot of mature students that had lost their energy, their wit, and their quickness. when you get older, your ideas tend to ossify and harden. are you saying a person who spent the better part of a decade in a warzone is going to have the same same youthful vigour and (necessary) naivety for taking on new ideas? young people are good at college because its a unique environment that actually encourages a little bit of idealism and big thinking. all the old mature students in my classes - and there were a lot at postgraduate, because of the nature of the course/funding; it's not a rite-of-passage for young people, necessarily, so the age distribution balances out - were noticeably slower on the uptake, and far more resistant to outre ideas. most of them, that i spoke to anyway, ended up doing quite conservative, boring work. i don't really think you can generalize 'work ethic' and 'motivation' based on age, and accuse young people of somehow 'squandering' their opportunities. that's just such a boring, typical old-person complaint.
A decade? No, that's a long time to be out of school. Going to college at 22-25 would be fine though, almost ideal really.

And yes, if you're talking about humanities, they will trend conservative and be less receptive to many of their professors ideas, but is that really so bad? Most humanities professors in America are ultra-liberal and view their job as 'molding young minds', so they tend to resent vets (look at macbeth here, he's become the perfect vehicle for his professors' beliefs).

Anyway, for STEM stuff, a bit of maturity goes a long way. Flunking freshman math fucks you over pretty bad.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4246
really you're trying to generalize how individuals can apply themselves to their studies. there is no rule. not even in fancy dichotomies like 'humanities and STEM'. a young person is either motivated or he isn't. there is no 'rule' or 'law' relating to age and motivation. a few years away from college could just as easily ruin and desert a person's interest, as easily as it could inspire a new, 'maturer' (whatever that means) approach to studying. i knew some people who, at age 18, were so adult and so driven in their pursuits, that they put most 25 year olds to shame. i saw some 18 year olds that were still basically overgrown, coddled 13 year olds. you really can't pin it to a discipline, or an age-bracket. people mature at different rates. everyone is at least a little different. FEOS saying "some" as a qualifier is about right. but that "some" doesn't indicate anything more than the fact that "some" students are at the height of their academic powers at age 19. it's all individual.

i also don't really know about american humanities professors being ultra-liberal demagogues. i thought they were all frustrated neo-marxists and progressives? and aren't some schools hotbeds of conservatism? even neo-con dogma? it seems the reputation of the school precedes/precludes that sort of comment. not that it isn't total 100% bullshit anyway. very few professors given a seat at any top-level university worth its salt are going to be out-and-out dogmatists. the point of humanities educations is to inspire and motivate further questioning/exploration - not to finger-wag and pass down received, didactic views. nobody is even going to viva a PhD interview with that attitude/approach, let alone get into a position where they can start churning out a factory-line of brainwashed undergrads, as your stupid scenario scaremongers.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-03-01 08:48:53)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

really you're trying to generalize how individuals can apply themselves to their studies. there is no rule. not even in fancy dichotomies like 'humanities and STEM'. a young person is either motivated or he isn't. there is no 'rule' or 'law' relating to age and motivation. a few years away from college could just as easily ruin and desert a person's interest, as easily as it could inspire a new, 'maturer' (whatever that means) approach to studying. i knew some people who, at age 18, were so adult and so driven in their pursuits, that they put most 25 year olds to shame. i saw some 18 year olds that were still basically overgrown, coddled 13 year olds. you really can't pin it to a discipline, or an age-bracket. people mature at different rates. everyone is at least a little different. FEOS saying "some" as a qualifier is about right. but that "some" doesn't indicate anything more than the fact that "some" students are at the height of their academic powers at age 19. it's all individual.
Absolutely, there are many brilliant 18 year olds. I wasn't making a blanket assertion that all 18 year olds are immature and dumb, nor was I making a blanket assertion that all older students perform better. I think if you took a statistical sample and compared the two age groups against each other you'd find that the older students did perform better on average though.

i also don't really know about american humanities professors being ultra-liberal demagogues. i thought they were all frustrated neo-marxists and progressives? and aren't some schools hotbeds of conservatism? even neo-con dogma? it seems the reputation of the school precedes/precludes that sort of comment. not that it isn't total 100% bullshit anyway. very few professors given a seat at any top-level university worth its salt are going to be out-and-out dogmatists. the point of humanities educations is to inspire and motivate further questioning/exploration - not to finger-wag and pass down received, didactic views. nobody is even going to viva a PhD interview with that attitude/approach, let alone get into a position where they can start churning out a factory-line of brainwashed undergrads, as your stupid scenario scaremongers.
Liberal has a different meaning in America and does equate to progressives and neo-marxists generally. They're not the champions of freedom you're thinking of.

There are a handful of schools that are conservative, but they have strong religious affiliations and are well outside of the mainstream. There have been statistical surveys done of the political beliefs among college professors that have found them to be overwhelmingly liberal. This makes sense to a certain extent, because people tend to want to associate with like-minded people, and when tenure comes up the other professors have a say whether they receive it or not.

Here's a snapshot from one paper on the topic:
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/51395/Screen%20Shot%202013-03-01%20at%2011.56.27%20AM.png
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/51395/Screen%20Shot%202013-03-01%20at%2011.56.44%20AM.png
http://www.cwu.edu/~manwellerm/academic%20bias.pdf
-Frederick Bastiat
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6728|Oxferd Ohire
8 days of warm and sunny weather
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6282|Washington St.
cwu where you at
go wildcats
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4246
well yes, of course all college professors are going to be liberal in their own beliefs. so what? that's what higher-education has always been, historically: LIBERAL HUMANIST. that's its over-arching ideology. it's the 'live and let live' ethos it aims to instill: big-picture thinking, historical knowledge, wisdom, tolerance, equality, empathy, etc. this is what universities are all about. of COURSE most professors are going to identify themselves as being broadly liberal. however there's a massive fucking gap between a professor identifying as 'liberal' in political belief/outlook, and professors using their lecture halls as pulpits from which to inculcate youth in OMG LIBERAL DOCTRINE. a massive gap. and yes, i know 'liberal' is used differently in america: but here you are doing exactly the thing where you semantically blur and confuse the two definitions. being a 'liberal thinker' (probably teaching a 'liberal arts' education, meanwhile) does not mean you are politically indoctrinating your students to think a certain way. only in the most vaguest sense do university educations peddle an 'ideology', and that's a paradoxical 'ideology' of open-mindedness and critical consideration.

it's the professors that outwardly identify themselves as 'democrat/republican' that worry me far more than liberals. the two-party puppets are at least putting their horses into a race, figuratively speaking. liberalism in the broad sense is far more on-the-fence and chin-stroking than the two parties, who each fervently develop their own internal doctrines and 'schools' of thought. you never get a 'school' of liberals like you get a 'neo-con' school - be it for economics, poli-sci, or even fiction writing.

who would you rather have teaching a 101 class on marxism, or feminism, or evolution? a liberal, or a dyed-in-the-wool republican? think about it.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-03-01 09:07:14)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard