AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6155|what

Kimmmmmmmmmmmm wrote:

skyfall 7/10 def a slow one... and it's all about 'the end' so it's depressing. Javier Bardem in this movie was a great bad guy, i can't stop thinking about how the yellow hair and brow look so bizarre on him. Spoiler (highlight to read):
the end of the movie as M and the caretaker slipped away from the burning mansion they used flashlights that gave them away. The fuck. Why did they use flashlights if they are on the run?  Also, it was never revealed HOW Bond lived after being shot off the top of a train above a deep canyon. Did anyone get that?
Now imagine if the cartaker had instead been Sean Connery - Bond's father.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6225|Escea

AussieReaper wrote:

Kimmmmmmmmmmmm wrote:

skyfall 7/10 def a slow one... and it's all about 'the end' so it's depressing. Javier Bardem in this movie was a great bad guy, i can't stop thinking about how the yellow hair and brow look so bizarre on him. Spoiler (highlight to read):
the end of the movie as M and the caretaker slipped away from the burning mansion they used flashlights that gave them away. The fuck. Why did they use flashlights if they are on the run?  Also, it was never revealed HOW Bond lived after being shot off the top of a train above a deep canyon. Did anyone get that?
Now imagine if the cartaker had instead been Sean Connery - Bond's father.
Instead, it was the man who made Jason Bourne
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6774|PNW

Kimmmmmmmmmmmm wrote:

Spoiler (highlight to read):
Thanks a lot. I've been able to forget that particular flashlight detail, and now it's back at the front of the line in my brain's WTF processing center.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5588

Never cared for Bond films. They all seem like the same old cliched action movie. For some reason people think Bond movies are the Cadillac of action movies.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6293|Washington St.

Macbeth wrote:

For some reason people think Bond movies are the Cadillac of action movies.
No.

They have an obscene amount of action a la Michael Bay and usually FAR too many puns on sex. That being said, I'll still watch them because they're entertaining. Sometimes I don't need to go to a movie theater to see a best picture nominee and exercise every lobe of my brain sometimes I like to space out and just laugh at the dumb jokes and high action budget.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6739|Oxferd Ohire
lol
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6774|PNW

^awm for lol
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6695
Get The Gringo

3/10

Fucking terrible movie. Worst Mel Gibson  I've ever seen.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6108|eXtreme to the maX

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

this is such an inane post. you can tell you are straining to make an argument, because all of your counter-points are tortured reductio ad absurdum's. yes, it is unfortunate if you have to watch a film on a "PSP", or "stick figures on a tiny screen with a half-inch speaker". but nobody is making arguments for watching feature-length films on PSP screens, are they? make a real fucking argument, for christ's sake. stop setting up straw men and then burning them for your own satisfaction, ahead of time. there is a whole scale of technology (especially nowdays) between the 1930's-esque monopoly of the cinema reel to the home environment. what exactly is missing from a person watching a film on a large HDTV with hi-fi speakers? and where do you draw the line, or the crucial distinction, on this inane argument? where do you arbitrarily distinguish between a 'valid' film watching experience and a not-technologically-capable one? do you need the large canvas? perhaps you need the cigarette blotches? perhaps you need a folding chair? in arguing for what is 'essential' about film as an artform, you should be able to make a convincing argument for all of the extra-artistic/contextual elements of the cinema - as both location and as a trip/experience/ritual. you can't do that, though. it's too vague, too nebulous. that's because nothing inherent in the cinema is essential to film. i can watch my favourite films in good-quality on a decently sized monitor with more-than-adequate sound hardware. today, in 2013, this is even easier than ever, what with the downsizing in size and affordability of televisual technology. you could have maybe made an argument along these lines in 1950... but not now. 'film' as an artform has been brought resoundingly out of the arthouse cinema elite and the franchise-cinema blockbuster crowd. and it's a good job, too. it frees the artform of all sorts of economic constraints (only a small and affluent minority can reasonably afford to go and see every film that appeals to them in a franchised cinema).
And cinema technology has moved on from 1930s technology has it not?
And have directors not expanded their style to encompass it?
Cinema has been a media for the masses since it was created, hardly a small and affluent minority.

as for "hipsters" disliking the spectacle... yawn. this is you being you to a boring extreme. again. what do hipsters have to do with a critique of the spectacle? the concept of the spectacle goes back in aesthetics for almost 200 years. were they hipsters in ruskin's day? whenever you talk about a subject you evidently know little about, you resort to these idiotic hipster comments. ditto with john galt - so you're keeping good company there, in this mightily intellectual debate. there's nothing hipsterish about distrusting spectacle, especially films that are ALL spectacle: they mask a complete lack of content and aesthetic/artistic merit with the ephemeral trickery of technological invention. i.e. explosions, 3d effects, silly novelties like that. there's nothing artistic or of real value in this - they just overwhelm the senses and cause a temporary impression (in both senses of the word). you feel short-changed when you leave the cinema, though. because it's just that: a fucking spectacle.
What is so terribly wrong with spectacle? Its part of the art form just as lavish sets are part of opera.
If Gesamtkunstwerk can be an art form I don't see why spectacular cinema can't be, why so much hate for spectacle amongst the 'arts' crowd?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6692|Tampa Bay Florida
Wow... okay so now according to bf2s saving private ryan sucked.  Wow I feel sorry for all of you.  Spielburg is a great director.  He makes consistently good and entertaining films.  Whether it's a historical drama, sci-fi, adventure flick, whatever.  Fuck you hipster faggots.
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5967|London, England

Spearhead wrote:

Wow... okay so now according to bf2s saving private ryan sucked.  Wow I feel sorry for all of you.  Spielburg is a great director.  He makes consistently good and entertaining films.  Whether it's a historical drama, sci-fi, adventure flick, whatever.  Fuck you hipster faggots.
how about you just enjoy something without getting mad at what other people say
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
UnkleRukus
That Guy
+236|5039|Massachusetts, USA
Face Off

8/10

Couldn't get 10/10 because no movie with Nick Cage or John Travolta will ever be a 10/10. That being said, it's still a hilariously bad action movie full of cliches and Nick Cage crazy eyes.
If the women don't find ya handsome. They should at least find ya handy.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5588

Mutantbear wrote:

Spearhead wrote:

The first 151 Pokemon were the best. The 251 were tolerable. Anything after that sucked. You mad?
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy

Mutantbear wrote:

Spearhead wrote:

What's the point of discussing anything if you can't get into an argument about it?
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5967|London, England

Spearhead wrote:

Mutantbear wrote:

Spearhead wrote:

What's the point of discussing anything if you can't get into an argument about it?
you arent arguing you are just calling people hipster faggots. People are making good point backing up their statements and all we get out of you is "hipster faggot"

LET ME DEBATE PLZ

Macbeth wrote:

Mutantbear wrote:

Spearhead wrote:

The first 151 Pokemon were the best. The 251 were tolerable. Anything after that sucked. You mad?
SHOTS FIRED
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
"Spielburg sucks because he's so mainstream"

"Spielburg movies shouldnt win awards because he's too influential"

Sounds like hipsters to me
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5588

Okay jay
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4845|Amsterdam

Spearhead wrote:

"Spielburg sucks because he's so mainstream"

"Spielburg movies shouldnt win awards because he's too influential"

Sounds like hipsters to me
Are you really that short-sighted and eager for argument (aka BF2s civil discussion) or just trolling?
Spielberg's films don't all suck imo, but do they have all that much artistic merit? No, not really. He's so mainstream because all his movies are the same in style, writing, music and plot, very similar at the very least. He makes good hollywood feel good films and that's all he does. He has never really had a niche. I supposed that's why he's so influentel. Anyone that makes a feel good film for the whole family (not all) with a dramatic point in the plot will have a movie like spielberg's. This specifically might not go for all spielberg's films, butthey are all overdramatized and actually quite shallow, hardly doing anything new or exciting. Most of his films are just very simple and predictable drama with a happy ending in most cases. The masses might shed a tear, maybe get in a 'oooooooh' or a laugh or two, but that's a bout it.

All of that's exactly what's considered high art in the oscars, so he can have as many of those as he wants.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6413|'Murka

I disagree. He had a hand in AI, and that was a steaming pile of shit.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4257

Dilbert_X wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

this is such an inane post. you can tell you are straining to make an argument, because all of your counter-points are tortured reductio ad absurdum's. yes, it is unfortunate if you have to watch a film on a "PSP", or "stick figures on a tiny screen with a half-inch speaker". but nobody is making arguments for watching feature-length films on PSP screens, are they? make a real fucking argument, for christ's sake. stop setting up straw men and then burning them for your own satisfaction, ahead of time. there is a whole scale of technology (especially nowdays) between the 1930's-esque monopoly of the cinema reel to the home environment. what exactly is missing from a person watching a film on a large HDTV with hi-fi speakers? and where do you draw the line, or the crucial distinction, on this inane argument? where do you arbitrarily distinguish between a 'valid' film watching experience and a not-technologically-capable one? do you need the large canvas? perhaps you need the cigarette blotches? perhaps you need a folding chair? in arguing for what is 'essential' about film as an artform, you should be able to make a convincing argument for all of the extra-artistic/contextual elements of the cinema - as both location and as a trip/experience/ritual. you can't do that, though. it's too vague, too nebulous. that's because nothing inherent in the cinema is essential to film. i can watch my favourite films in good-quality on a decently sized monitor with more-than-adequate sound hardware. today, in 2013, this is even easier than ever, what with the downsizing in size and affordability of televisual technology. you could have maybe made an argument along these lines in 1950... but not now. 'film' as an artform has been brought resoundingly out of the arthouse cinema elite and the franchise-cinema blockbuster crowd. and it's a good job, too. it frees the artform of all sorts of economic constraints (only a small and affluent minority can reasonably afford to go and see every film that appeals to them in a franchised cinema).
And cinema technology has moved on from 1930s technology has it not?
And have directors not expanded their style to encompass it?
Cinema has been a media for the masses since it was created, hardly a small and affluent minority.

as for "hipsters" disliking the spectacle... yawn. this is you being you to a boring extreme. again. what do hipsters have to do with a critique of the spectacle? the concept of the spectacle goes back in aesthetics for almost 200 years. were they hipsters in ruskin's day? whenever you talk about a subject you evidently know little about, you resort to these idiotic hipster comments. ditto with john galt - so you're keeping good company there, in this mightily intellectual debate. there's nothing hipsterish about distrusting spectacle, especially films that are ALL spectacle: they mask a complete lack of content and aesthetic/artistic merit with the ephemeral trickery of technological invention. i.e. explosions, 3d effects, silly novelties like that. there's nothing artistic or of real value in this - they just overwhelm the senses and cause a temporary impression (in both senses of the word). you feel short-changed when you leave the cinema, though. because it's just that: a fucking spectacle.
What is so terribly wrong with spectacle? Its part of the art form just as lavish sets are part of opera.
If Gesamtkunstwerk can be an art form I don't see why spectacular cinema can't be, why so much hate for spectacle amongst the 'arts' crowd?
lol at quoting gesamtkunstwerk as if that has anything to do with anything in this discussion. if you even understood the literal definition of the term 'gesamtkunstwerk', you'd kinda know that it's A LOT more than spectacle. would you like a nuanced discussion on aesthetics? because it seems you are more than a little out of your depth, here.

and wrong: cinema was never an 'art for the masses', not cinema in the form you're talking of, anyway, i.e. cinema trips and visits to the 'picture house'. that was only actually affordable by the salaried classes - clerks and above. the working classes never made it into cinemas, historically, and today in many countries with emerging forms of modernist media (i.e. latin americas in more recent history), only something like 10-15% of the population (the affluent, educated minority) actually make it into the middle-class/bourgeoisie leisure category of cinema visits. the rest actually watch bootleg films and thrive on a huge DIY/amateur scene. cinema has always had haughty connotations, especially in its early instantiation as 'film'. talking about the continental tradition here, and film qua artform. the american hollywood studio thing was always its own separate show. but don't make the blind historical assumption that, because hollywood was the centre of populist entertainment in america, that cinema has always been about 'the masses'. early cinema and film in europe, where it was originally developed and explored as an artform, was just as exclusive as any other form of 'high art'.

and yes, cinema technology has moved on. and yes, some directors and films do move to take advantage of that. some films are better as 'IMAX experiences', no doubt. but this is far from a majority of films. there is nothing inherently wrong about watching a film and appreciating it as a work of art in a home environment, on a (relatively) modest home-entertainment system. nothing essential is lost from 99% of films. perhaps avatar in 3d is an exception; perhaps 48fps the hobbit is another. these require a certain level of technology that the home-consumer market do not fully have yet. however, critical opinion and mass consensus would hasten to add, quite thornily w/r/t your argument, that the 2D, regular-fps versions are actually 'better', and more pleasing. ergo: you can still watch that shit on a television you can buy on the high-street.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-03-01 08:22:43)

Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
AI did suck.  So did Indiana Jones 4.

I'm not going to bother going through his entire career and defending all his movies.  I'm not afraid of liking something because its popular.  Lincoln was the best movie last year.  The end.
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6695
To me the romance of the cinema can be matched a home.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4257

Spearhead wrote:

AI did suck.  So did Indiana Jones 4.

I'm not going to bother going through his entire career and defending all his movies.  I'm not afraid of liking something because its popular.  Lincoln was the best movie last year.  The end.
to anyone outside of america, lincoln was a boring 3-hour long conversation. a stale exercise for 'that' actor to reprise 'that' period role. nobody gave a shit. best film of the year, "the end"? i think you might want to take your yankee-doodle glasses off and get a little bit of  rational, critical distance involved in your foam-mouthed appreciation. spielberg is a giant of hollywood, so he has a certain status - a certain well-earned status. but saving private ryan didn't reinvent the war movie, and most of his latter-day work has been total shit. a lot of his stuff gets an easy ride because of rose-tinted nostalgia and all sorts of wanky zeigeisty type stuff too. don't try and tell me E.T. was groundbreaking film. spielberg is best when he makes safe movies for your average middle-class american family to enjoy. ok great. he's the major studios' (and box office's) best friend, in that regard. that doesn't make great art.

oh and don't get childish and puerile and call people "hipsters" because you are admitting your taste in movies is simply the populist, easy-rider choice. it's immature to call people who want a little 'more' from their film-as-artform "hipsters". not everyone comes to a film wanting a gentle, easy, adequately pleasing feelgood experience. if the only film-fan in the world was of your type, we'd be looking back at 100 years of fucking candy cotton fluff and bullshit. thank god for those "hipsters", demanding more. it means film as an artform goes into realms like this:

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-03-01 08:41:02)

Macbeth wrote:

Never cared for Bond films. They all seem like the same old cliched action movie. For some reason people think Bond movies are the Cadillac of action movies.
if not Bond then what is the Cadillac?
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
I've got a range in taste that is far wider than most.  I can like Spielburg and appreciate his work while liking other stuff too.  Is he conventional?  Yes, and no one will ever argue differently.  I'm sorry you didn't like the movie, I thought it was probably one of the best political dramas ever made.  You see, that's the thing about political dramas, uzi.  They tend to be filled with lots of talking.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard