unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

Keep us updated.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5578

Macbeth wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDiKZi3j … embedded#!
yes that is a tire that flew into the stands among other pieces of metal and stuff
other angles
https://i.imgur.com/noLzg3o.jpg
[video]http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=776_1361660486[/video]
https://o.twimg.com/1/proxy.jpg?t=FQQVBBgpaHR0cHM6Ly90d2l0cGljLmNvbS9zaG93L2xhcmdlL2M2YTlkdS5qcGcUBBYAEgA&s=n2zEivk3OVJrwMwgQJMXpbK1b-CRCfaRXM2HNFDOiWc

Last edited by Macbeth (2013-02-23 20:06:54)

Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5578

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Keep us updated.
I am on it
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6098|eXtreme to the maX

Jay wrote:

You gain efficiency on the turbines, but then give it right back to run a compressor, all for the measly cost of $100M... Net loss of 26MW. Unless coal becomes even cheaper than it is right now, I don't see us returning to it when we have so much natural gas to play with.

As for the CO2, they're compressing it, they could use it in fire extinguishers, or refrigeration units, or dump the tanks in the middle of the ocean for all it really matters.

man, all that work just to replace the burner...
The point isn't that its efficient compared with simple coal burning, its that its more efficient than other carbon capture systems.
The typical process is - liquify air to remove nitrogen - burn coal in pure oxygen - separate water, liquify CO2 and store 'somewhere'.
Eliminating the first step with the Iron Oxide cycle is where the efficiency gain is.

As for the second part, presently there is no conceivable use or storage for a fraction of the CO2 a power station puts out.
Solve that and be a billionaire.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4247

Macbeth wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDiKZi3j … embedded#!
yes that is a tire that flew into the stands among other pieces of metal and stuff
other angles

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=776_1361660486

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88sCW7FIQgw
why is this in D&ST? a neat example of final destination made real, sure. more violence/thrill/potential tragedy videos for you to hurriedly 'like' and add to your growing playlist. but what's there to debate? this has always been the appeal of race-car driving to mass-crowds: the thrill and adrenaline rush of loud noises, incredibly fast cars, and (of course), the key ingredient: latent risk, potential wipe-outs. it's why so many people who are passive and boring drivers watch formula 1 and superbike races - it's a vicarious form of pleasure seeking, and the wipeouts are exciting. this is why motorcar racing has always historically drawn large crowds of ordinary public joes; not very many people are into the finesse of actual driving. they want to see wrecks. they want to see fireballs.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6490

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

why is this in D&ST?
did you not see the title of the thread? dast lost all credibility when they allowed this thread, and i feel bad for derailing a sub-forum.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6490

heh, i derailed a sub-forum. go me!

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Mad dogs and running men was brought to you by ATG. So was ee chats. He did more to ruin this site than any simpleton mod such as myself.
wow

i stand in awe of the web-toed, wild-eyed, polygamist, conspiracy theorist, slack-jawed badge ditching pencil neck freak. kudos.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6145|what

Try to figure out why a mod would create an alternate troll account to attack members.

It's narcissistic beyond belief.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6490

only a dumbass would allow that mod into his home, and make him feel welcome.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

You broke bread with a mod!
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6667|Canberra, AUS

Jay wrote:

This is pretty cool:
Researchers have discovered a stunning new process that takes the energy from coal without burning it -- and removes virtually all of the pollution.

The clean coal technique was developed by scientists at The Ohio State University, with just $5 million in funding from the federal government, and took 15 years to achieve.

“We’ve been working on this for more than a decade,” Liang-Shih Fan, a chemical engineer and director of OSU’s Clean Coal Research Laboratory, told FoxNews.com, calling it a new energy conversion process. “We found a way to release the heat from coal without burning.”

The process removes 99 percent of the pollution from coal, which some scientists link to global warming. Coal-burning power plants produced about one-third of the nation’s carbon dioxide total in 2010, or about 2.3 billion metric tons, according to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).

Retrofitting them with the new process would be costly, but it would cut billions of tons of pollution.

“In the simplest sense, conventional combustion is a chemical reaction that consumes oxygen and produces heat,” Fan fold FoxNews.com.

“Unfortunately, it also produces carbon dioxide, which is difficult to capture and bad for the environment.”

And simply put, the new process isn't.

Fan discovered a way to heat coal, using iron-oxide pellets for an oxygen source and containing the reaction in a small, heated chamber from which pollutants cannot escape. The only waste product is therefore water and coal ash -- no greenhouse gases. As an added benefit, the metal from the iron-oxide can be recycled.

“Oxidation” is the chemical combination of a substance with oxygen. Contrast this with old-fashioned, coal-fired plants, which use oxygen to burn the coal and generate heat. This in turn makes steam, which turns giant turbines and sends power down electric lines.

The main by-product of that old process — carbon dioxide, known chemically as CO2 — is released through smokestacks into the earth’s atmosphere.
Fan’s process, called “coal-direct chemical looping,” has been proven in a small scale lab at OSU. The next step is to take it to a larger test facility in Alabama, and Fan believes the technology can be commercialized and used to power an energy plant within five to 10 years, if all goes smoothly. The technology generated 25 kilowatts of thermal energy in current tests; the Alabama site will generate 250 kilowatts.

Some environmentalists are skeptical of the technology, and of the idea of clean coal in general.

“Claiming that coal is clean because it could be clean -- if a new technically unproven and economically dubious technology might be adopted -- is like someone claiming that belladonna is not poisonous because there is a new unproven safe pill under development,” wrote Donald Brown at liberal think tank Climate Progress.

Yet the federal Department of Energy believes that the process can create 20 megawatts to 50 megawatts by 2020, said Jared Ciferno, the agency’s director of coal and power-production research and development, in a statement.

The government plans to continue to support the project, as well as the concept of "clean coal" in general.

Meanwhile, Fan is exploring the possibility of establishing a start-up company and licensing the process to utilities, and has the potential to patent 35 different parts of the process.

Other scientists and experts are enthused about the prospects for this technology.

Yan Feng with Argonne National Laboratory's Environmental Science Division, Climate Research Section, called it “an advancement in chemical engineering. “It is very important that we act on CO2 capturing and sequestration as well as emission controls of other warming agents like tropospheric ozone and black carbon."

Adds a spokesman for Kingsport, Tenn.-based Eastman Chemical Company, a global Fortune 250 chemical manufacturer that works in clean energy, “researchers continue to uncover innovative ways to use coal efficiently/sustainably.”
Concludes Dawei Wang, a research associate at OSU, the technology's potential benefits even go beyond the environment and issues like sustainability.

"The plant could really promote our energy independence. Not only can we use America's natural resources such as Ohio coal, but we can keep our air clean and spur the economy with jobs,” he said.
Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/science/2013/02/ … z2LYHs5bn9

I think this is super cool, but I have a problem with researchers being able to take government money to fund their research and then turning around and patenting everything they worked on. That stuff should all be in the public domain imo.
I get your drift but if you take that away, you're removing a pretty big incentive for people to do research, aren't you? Which would go counter to the whole point of public funding of R&D in the first place. I mean it'd be great in theory if all this stuff was public domain but would it be worth that?
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6709
Don't the public research institutions usually keep the patents? kinda like CSIRO did with Wifi
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Spark
+874|6667|Canberra, AUS
I honestly can't remember. I'd think so - which would just sort of emphasises the point, really.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6709

Spark wrote:

I honestly can't remember. I'd think so - which would just sort of emphasises the point, really.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-04-01/c … gy/3925814

The Federal Government has described a multi-million-dollar legal settlement over CSIRO's wi-fi technology as a major boost for the organisation.

The settlement secures more than $220 million for CSIRO, which invented the technology in the 1990s.

Wi-fi technology is used in more than 3 billion electronic devices worldwide, including personal computers, video games and mobile phones.

The settlement is the second successful litigation to be conducted by the CSIRO, which patented the technology and now has licence agreements with 23 telecommunications companies.
well at least in aussie land seems like the public institution keeps the patents
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6403|'Murka

Dilbert_X wrote:

Jay wrote:

You gain efficiency on the turbines, but then give it right back to run a compressor, all for the measly cost of $100M... Net loss of 26MW. Unless coal becomes even cheaper than it is right now, I don't see us returning to it when we have so much natural gas to play with.

As for the CO2, they're compressing it, they could use it in fire extinguishers, or refrigeration units, or dump the tanks in the middle of the ocean for all it really matters.

man, all that work just to replace the burner...
The point isn't that its efficient compared with simple coal burning, its that its more efficient than other carbon capture systems.
The typical process is - liquify air to remove nitrogen - burn coal in pure oxygen - separate water, liquify CO2 and store 'somewhere'.
Eliminating the first step with the Iron Oxide cycle is where the efficiency gain is.

As for the second part, presently there is no conceivable use or storage for a fraction of the CO2 a power station puts out.
Solve that and be a billionaire.
Because there are no uses and is no market for CO2?
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Spark
+874|6667|Canberra, AUS

Cybargs wrote:

Spark wrote:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-04-01/c … gy/3925814

The Federal Government has described a multi-million-dollar legal settlement over CSIRO's wi-fi technology as a major boost for the organisation.

The settlement secures more than $220 million for CSIRO, which invented the technology in the 1990s.

Wi-fi technology is used in more than 3 billion electronic devices worldwide, including personal computers, video games and mobile phones.

The settlement is the second successful litigation to be conducted by the CSIRO, which patented the technology and now has licence agreements with 23 telecommunications companies.
well at least in aussie land seems like the public institution keeps the patents
Yeah it makes sense. "Profits" go back to research etc. It's a nice cycle.

Last edited by Spark (2013-02-27 19:18:27)

~ Richard Feynman
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6145|what

They should be making billions for WiFi to be honest.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6098|eXtreme to the maX

FEOS wrote:

There are, but they're infinitesimal compared with the amount thats pumped out as a product of burning carbon.
In the market CO2 itself is essentially free, in fact with a carbon tax companies will pay you to take it, and even then no-one wants it.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Spark
+874|6667|Canberra, AUS
I think the very fact that CO2 is used as a fire extinguisher should tell you why it's not very useful.
~ Richard Feynman
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6709

AussieReaper wrote:

They should be making billions for WiFi to be honest.
good guy csrio, just wants patent money for more awesome research.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6403|'Murka

Dilbert_X wrote:

FEOS wrote:

There are, but they're infinitesimal compared with the amount thats pumped out as a product of burning carbon.
In the market CO2 itself is essentially free, in fact with a carbon tax companies will pay you to take it, and even then no-one wants it.
So it sounds like there's an opportunity to find new uses for it.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6682|Tampa Bay Florida

Dilbert_X wrote:

FEOS wrote:

So you're saying that I could go rent 50 storage sheds and fill them up with cannisters of carbon and make money doing that?

Awesome just got a part time job
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4247

Spark wrote:

I think the very fact that CO2 is used as a fire extinguisher should tell you why it's not very useful.
yeh but they use water as a fire extinguisher too and that has its uses
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5578

Today is the day lawmakers have known about since August 2011: the day those forced federal spending cuts kick in.

This Friday is also a day many never expected would come. After all, the cuts known as sequestration were designed to be so draconian that lawmakers would be forced to compromise and avoid them.

But they haven’t, and as lawmakers left Washington to begin their weekend on Thursday, so left any prospect of avoiding the cuts that President Barack Obama and his administration have warned will lead to long airport lines and fewer air traffic safety controllers; federal government furloughs and layoffs; cuts to food inspection and border security programs; and education funding decreases that will shut young students out of Head Start programs.

For all of the dire warnings, Obama acknowledged Wednesday that the cuts are “not a cliff, but it is a tumble downward.” He’ll set the cuts in motion on Friday with a stroke of his pen.

He is required to sign an order enacting the spending cuts by 11:59 p.m. Friday and will do so privately, White House press secretary Jay Carney said Thursday.

Before that happens, Obama and Vice President Joe Biden will meet with top congressional leaders: Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, House Speaker John Boehner and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi.

But Friday is seen by many as too late to reach a deal averting the cuts, especially with Congress out of town for the weekend.

After Obama signs the order, the Office of Management and Budget will send to Congress a detailed accounting of the cuts – how much from which agencies and which accounts. Every "program, project and activity" has to be trimmed without regard for what it is, according to the OMB.
While today means the end to one fiscal showdown, fans of Washington financial wrangling have another date to anticipate: March 27. That’s the deadline for Congress to extend the continuing resolution that’s funding the government.
Stuff like this makes me think we should have had a parliamentary system. The Senate needs to be changed.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6490

and the House is fine?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard