tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6145|Sydney | ♥

Alrighty, fist off, i've been using ubuntu for aaaages now, as it's been on my file server for yonks. So i know my way around the terminal/command line as i ssh into it and do my business all the time.

however, i have only quite recently installed it on my tower, and i've got it setup quite nicely atm. BUT. It hasnt got that "wow" factor... you know? Sure there is compiz.. but all that shit looks gay on 2 screens that arnt the same reso, so any tips?

I'm looking at you freezer/sydney/max/zimmer etc
everything i write is a ramble and should not be taken seriously.... seriously.
CosmoKramer
CC you in October
+131|6589|Medford, WI
Mine looks really nice with the dark ice murrina theme,https://img41.imageshack.us/img41/1140/screenshotal.png
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6123|what

Linux Mint is designed to look pretty similar to a typical Windows OS if that's what you mean.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6537|NYC / Hamburg

Here's Mint 7 on my lappy.

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17479/Screenshot.png

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17479/Screenshot-1.png

For dual screen I use "Desktop Wall" in Compiz

And then there's that thing
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17479/Screenshot-2.png
I bind it to top left corner.

You could go crazy with the widgets.

Use gnome-Do

Or try KDE

Or add terminal on the desktop

EDIT: Some more inspiration

Last edited by max (2009-10-22 06:31:24)

once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Benzin
+576|5969
I can't even install something on Linux using that TGZ stuff or whatever the extension is ...
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6537|NYC / Hamburg

untar

Code:

./configure
install any dependencies needed

Code:

make
sudo make install
done
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6167|Winland

GNU+Linux as a desktop OS is meh.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6261|Washington St.
Start an "[Official] Linux/Ubuntu thread" or use this one?

Anyway, Steam for Linux is out and seems to be working just fine so far.

https://i.imgur.com/JIVubQn.jpg
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6261|Washington St.
Also, has anybody had success installing the new LibreOffice suite? I keep running into errors
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6261|Washington St.

pirana6 wrote:

Also, has anybody had success installing the new LibreOffice suite? I keep running into errors
nm I'm dumb

sudo apt-get remove --purge libreoffice-core
sudo apt-get autoremove --purge

tar -xvzf LibreOffice_4.0.0_Linux_x86-64_deb.tar.gz

sudo dpkg -i *.deb (in both DEBS and desktop-integration)

edito: spelling

Last edited by pirana6 (2013-02-14 17:44:03)

Camm
Feeding the Cats.
+761|4938|Dundee, Scotland.

pirana6 wrote:

pirana6 wrote:

nm I'm dumb

sudo apt-get remove --purge libreoffice-core
sudo apt-get autoremove --purge

tar -xvzf LibreOffice_4.0.0_Linux_x86-64_deb.tar.gz

sudo dpkg -i *.deb (fin both DEBS and desktop-integration)
Well that was straight forward...
for a fatty you're a serious intellectual lightweight.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6261|Washington St.
yeah it was. turns out i didn't remove all the old ones enough/correctly so i kept running into errors.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I remember playing with Linux. It was like building a model airplane using tree sap as glue.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6687|Riva, MD
I recently decided to upgrade the Ubuntu 10.04 installation my dad put on my mom's EEE 901 netbook all the way to 11.04 and it runs a lot better than it did, plus the Wifi doesn't fuck up anymore and become impossible to reconnect without a reboot after going into sleep mode.

Not sure about upgrading to 11.10 yet because I've heard it gets rid of Unity 2D in favor of Unity 3D with lesser requirements and I'm not sure which one it's running with already or if the shitty Intel GPU would be able to handle it very well.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6261|Washington St.
I'm running 12.10 on my ancient Dell Inspiron 6000. Everything works fun though it is a hair slow (certainly faster than Win7).

And you can force 2D if you like too. There's always the boot-from-cd option to get an idea of how it runs.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6687|Riva, MD
Yeah, XP Tablet Edition ran like a nightmare on the EEE 901, mostly because of the small slow SSDs but still Ubuntu helped it out a lot and after the updates, it's even faster and more usable.  Linux is so nice and light and just perfect for earlier netbooks with their slow shitty Atoms and early SSDs, I thought it was stupid at first but I'm kind of glad my dad put it on now and it helps me familiarize with the platform more, last time I used Linux was probably Linspire when I was like 12 and then Redhat when I was 7, lol

How would I go about forcing the 2D version if 3D was giving me bad performance?  Also, is there any way I can get real GMA 950 drivers instead of these crappy plugin ones that won't even name the device?
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6261|Washington St.
From what I understand (admittedly not a whole lot), if you don't have a capable graphics card, it will force itself with LLVMpipe. Essentially that just uses your CPU for graphics performance instead.

here:

And I don't know about drivers From what I can tell Ubuntu hasn't been amazing at finding them, especially since 12.10 where you actually need to download the package that actually looks for them because it doesn't come with it anymore.

Software Center > "Jockey"

of course youre better of looking for them yourself.

again, before you commit to anything I would for sure try the CD boot option. Granted it won't tell you everything but it'll be an idea
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6687|Riva, MD
Yeah, I guess I'll just have to try that then.  So far from what you're telling me and what I've read from all kinds of reviews, 12.10 doesn't really bring anything great if it doesn't in fact make some things worse but I'll just have to try it out, maybe inbetween upgrading to 13.04 when it comes out, I've read that it's supposed to reduce wasteful resource usage quite a bit with general memory usage optimizations and adjusting idling behaviors for some things in the background.

Also, I just updated Steam beta to the full version and then downloaded Half-Life 1 just to see what would happen and it plays the game perfectly stable with just a tiny bit of artifacting and a little bit of sluggishness but still much better than I expected.  It automatically detected the 1024x600 resolution and everything.  Amazing how well they've done in porting everything over for Linux
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6261|Washington St.
Put Raring Ringtail on my work box and my home laptop (that is now 8 years old and solely used for watching DVD's) and so far it's a great improvement. Along the lines of moving from Vista to Win7. Not like the last one was awful but seemed a little bloated and slow compared to this one.
VicktorVauhn
+319|6362|Southern California
I have talked a bit of shit about the linux in the past, but for some reason ever few years I feel like I should give it another go.

I have always supported the fact that windows works fine. I still maintain that windows 8 is no where near as bad as people say... damn near windows 7 with stupid overbearing start menu...

Anyways, my computer's specs aren't as impressive as they used to be, and while I don't mind win 8 I no longer feel much loyalty to windows.
Reading about android made it time to try it again.

Went through a good number of distros, but finally settled on Mint 13 LTS with cinnamon. Really liking it.

Really helped that this time I read good bits of "The Linux Bible" which went a long way to help get settled.

I've found the most up to date release of linux break to fucking easily. If you don't mind an active role in keeping your computer running go for it... But as a newb still all of them ended up having nagging issues relatively soon.

This mint LTS has been REALLY stable. Could damn near give this to my mother. Nothing too crazy but a decent amount of customization... I hate the default green theme but with some tweaks it clean and simple. 

I don't play many games these days, so I find that I almost always load linux.... its just a little quicker in most situations. Really like the options, and how transparent the OS is. Lots of nice little things, right click a window title bar and chose always on top...

The more I read the more I like the idea and community as well. Nice that so many people can pull together selflessly for a common good like that. Particularly interesting that the origins of the OS can be traced back to message board postings.
Funny to see decades old posts from linus torvalds basically talking shit to people, such as when he was criticized and asked why GIT was't written in C++ when it was so clearly better, and he responds if for no other reason then to piss off people like the author of the question it was worth it.

But I guess, bottom line.... Its come a long fucking way.
If you have tried it and given up, or dismissed it entirely give it an honest try and do some reading on how it works and how to propperly set it up, rather then just copying and pasting some random command starting with "hashtag sudo something something" that wont make your printer work... Actually learn what a modprob is and how to modify your path, check logs and configure your .bashrc file...
Its like anything else, a lot of options can mean easy to break, but if you learn what your doing its a pretty nice environment to be in.
Fuck that was long, even if no one read it...still Guinness.

Last edited by VicktorVauhn (2014-01-13 00:31:37)

pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6261|Washington St.
I was reading tons of good stuff about Mint a few weeks ago and decided to move off of Ubuntu on my home laptop and onto Mint. So far no complaints at all. If anything it runs slightly better because I'm pretty sure Unity is a huge resource hog while Cinnamon is not.
The main draw towards Mint is the fact that Cinnamon closely resembles Windows so that's the ploy to get people to move. Having used Ubuntu (and redhat) I didn't fall for the "It looks like windows so it's easy" schtick but I still think i like it a hair better just because it seems to run smoother on my aging machines.
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6294|Graz, Austria
A colleague at work has kicked Windows 8 off of his Ultrabook and installed Linux Mint as well, after briefly trying Kubuntu.
Now he's running Steam and playing Games with it.
VicktorVauhn
+319|6362|Southern California
I guess I have gotten so used to newer windows that I did didn't even think about it... mint didn't look to much like windows...

But yeah I can see why people say that. Probably part of why I like it too tbh.
But all the desktop environments I tried had something very annoying.
Can't remember what put me off KDE... Unity was unity (though I actually don't hate it). Gnome 2 looks pretty dated and gnome 3 is too mac-y and no minimize button?

Mint 13 w/cinnamon has been good. Seems classic, but not old and has been very stable.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6745|Moscow, Russia

globefish23 wrote:

A colleague at work has kicked Windows 8 off of his Ultrabook and installed Linux Mint as well, after briefly trying Kubuntu.
Now he's running Steam and playing Games with it.
my gaming pc at home is dual boot - 7 and ubuntu - and i've been running steam for some time on linux. it's pretty stable and straightforward atm, runs dota 2 and team fortress just fine for me. still, it seems very few devs - even less publishers - are willing to take their games to linux.

all in all, steam os and stuff, it's gonna be interesting to see where valve & co are capable to take this. imo, now, microsoft being even worse fucking dicks than they usually are, is a perfect moment to be taking a piece of their pie.
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
So I bought a HP Mini 210-1040NR laptop years ago and never used it. I still have it but am unable to get into windows (7 starter) because I don't remember the password. I remember that the thing was painfully slow even for the time I bought it.

Anyway, can I put Linux on this and how would it run?

This is the laptop
http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01968859

CPU: 1.66GHz Intel Atom Processor N450
1 GB RAM
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3150 256MB
160 GB HD

It doesn't have a CD drive so I will need to use a USB stick to install the new OS.

Thoughts? Should I do this? Will it run better than it did when it was using Win 7? Which version of Linux should I use?
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard