Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6774|Moscow, Russia

Jay wrote:

I think we could compete, and rather well
with china? you being on the other side of the globe? really?

but it's not what those countries want. The people in power in those countries want to be bought
uh-huh. that's what's you are being told. and every time there's government that does NOT behave like that it somehow always chooses somebody else over you and then conveniently becomes a "horrible tyranny" to be destroyed.

Just look at all the climate change conferences. It's Ahmadajeiajfrnehigj speaking for seven hours, and every third world country complaining about how climate change will absolutely destroy their country and spread plague and kill all the cute cuddly bunny rabbits, but if only we make a donation to their economy, the crisis will be averted. Then all the dumb fuck liberals shit themselves at the thought that they'll get their pet cause through the UN and offer all sorts of 'reparations', and 'wealth taxes' and every other sort of handout the pissant dictators demand. None of that money ever goes to the people. It goes in said pissant dictators Swiss bank account.
what does any of that have to do with anything? the matter of a fact is your military and money printing machine are your only competitive advantages over china atm, but again, as you rightly mentioned, those are not the tools to be used in fair free trade competition, so you might as well stop talking "investments" and "economic climates" on this as that stuff is completely out of your sphere of influence atm.
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5356|London, England

Macbeth wrote:

What about UNICEF? They actually do some good too.
UNICEF figures show that its holiday greeting card sales campaign is one of its most profitable endeavors, raising more than $155 million in 2007.

However, just over $60 million, or about 39 percent of total funds, actually made it to those in need in 2007.
http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/unicef … /id/327113

Incredibly inefficient and wasteful, just like pretty much all UN programs.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Shahter wrote:

uh-huh. that's what's you are being told. and every time there's government that does NOT behave like that it somehow always chooses somebody else over you and then conveniently becomes a "horrible tyranny" to be destroyed.
We're told no such thing. Every time someone mentions cutting foreign aid people throw a tantrum about all the starving children in Africa that will surely die if we do. People here really believe that the billions we send overseas every year is turned into bowls of rice and farming equipment.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5584

Jay wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

What about UNICEF? They actually do some good too.
UNICEF figures show that its holiday greeting card sales campaign is one of its most profitable endeavors, raising more than $155 million in 2007.

However, just over $60 million, or about 39 percent of total funds, actually made it to those in need in 2007.
http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/unicef … /id/327113

Incredibly inefficient and wasteful, just like pretty much all UN programs.
Okay I know you think of yourself as a LIBERTARIAN and parrot any anti government tripe you hear from other LIBERTARIAN newsources but you are pretty wrong about this. As usual you are completely ignorant and speaking out of your ass. You probably don't even believe this but are just saying it to contradict me.

Re: UNICEF

A. As a charity UNICEF is actually one of the best ones in the world. Charitywatch gives it a B+ rating Charity Navigator] Scores it 60 out of 70 If you scroll down on the charity navigator page you will see that UNICEF's America branch spends 90% of their donations on programs.

B. UNICEF does what they do because there isn't anyone else doing it on a scale that they can. You don't have Walmart or Exxon or Microsoft setting up mass aid or vaccination programs. They don't do it for two reasons: 1. They don't give a fuck 2. UNICEF already exist. UNICEF takes donations from corporations all the time. Corprations are happy that UNICEF handles their philanthropic work (PR and tax right offs) because it means they don't have to set up any sort of apparatus of their own and they can just write a check and be done with the whole thing.

Please shut up about stuff you don't know anything about.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6104|eXtreme to the maX
He's butthurt because UNICEF recognised Palestine as a state.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
13/f/taiwan
+940|5697

Dilbert_X wrote:

He's butthurt because UNICEF recognised Palestine as a state.
That was UNESCO. The US was required to cut off funding for UNESCO through a decades old law which forbids funding any UN organization that recognizes Palestine.

/off topic
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6104|eXtreme to the maX
I don't suppose he knows the difference
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4253
jay's ayn rand-lite cynicism really is boorish & boring, isn't it
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
My idealism died during my deployment in Iraq.
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4253
does "you weren't there man!" war trauma apply to papershuffling desk jobs, then?
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6735|Oxferd Ohire
ayn rand school for tots
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6774|Moscow, Russia

Jay wrote:

Shahter wrote:

We're told no such thing.
of course you are not told such things, you are led to believe such things. the fact of the matter is with you money printing machine you can buy just about anyone in this capitalist dominated world atm (and, btw, your own government is just as prone to this shit as anyone else, but what happens in gomorra tends to stay in gomorra). what i find, well, strange, is how you have no problem with those brown people as long as they allow you to buy them, but every time somebody doesn't it turns out that person is also a tyrant supports terrorists and tries to get wmds to bomb jews. doesn't that look just a wee bit convenient to you?
13/f/taiwan
+940|5697
Is anyone else left with the impression after reading one of Shahter's post that he believes all his ideas are beyond our capacity to think further or somehow foreign to us and that he is the one who is enlightened and open-minded?
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6774|Moscow, Russia
you know what amazes me about people on this forum? first, they tell me what i post is obvious, and then, often in the same post, go on talking about how so called "arab spring" is simply a form of democratic process and not series of regime changes instigated by interested parties. it's mind boggling.

Last edited by Shahter (2013-02-12 02:37:35)

rdx-fx
+955|6590
Arab Spring has about as much to do with Democracy as a lap dance in a strip club has to do with sex.

The jaded fatalism and paranoia of Comrade Ruskie is an illuminating counterpoint to the typical western myopic bubble.

Shahter wrote:

what i find, well, strange, is how you have no problem with those brown people as long as they allow you to buy them, but every time somebody doesn't it turns out that person is also a tyrant supports terrorists and tries to get wmds to bomb jews.
Tyrants are easier to buy than true believers.
And even easier to dispose of, once they outlive their usefulness.

Have you ever heard the phrase "keep your friends close, and your enemies closer"?
Why do you think we're "allies" with Pakistan and Saudi Arabia?
Between Pakistan and Saudi Arabia, we've got more reasons to bomb the shit out of them than everyone else combined!

Pakistani ISI has been the enemy of the USA since the 1970's and the Soviet/Afghan war.
Osama was their boy. ISI played us into assassinating his rivals, ISI set up his retirement in Abottabad.
AQ Khan (stole Western nuclear info, father of the "islamic bomb") was their boy.
Insurgent advisors in Afghanistan are very often ISI officers.

Wahabbiism? Saudi Arabia
Osama bin Laden? Saudi Arabia
Most of the money, and the vast majority of "foreign fighters" the Westerners run into in the middle east? Saudi Arabian

Iran's Quds forces playing with Hezbollah and Hamas, using Palestinians as cannon-fodder against the Israelis and West?
Complete sideshow compared to the bullshit Riyadh and the Paki ISI are running.

13/f/taiwan wrote:

Is anyone else left with the impression after reading one of Shahter's post that he believes all his ideas are beyond our capacity to think further or somehow foreign to us and that he is the one who is enlightened and open-minded?
To be fair, the myopic bubble that most people in the Western world live in is astoundingly opaque.
Unless you have personally been outside that safe bubble, it is difficult to comprehend.
Comrade Ruskie comes across as someone frustrated at running into that bubble.

They don't "hate us for our freedom fries" - They hate us because they think we're spoiled, egotistical, blind, and uncaring.

Last edited by rdx-fx (2013-02-12 04:20:09)

Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4253

13/f/taiwan wrote:

russians are anti-relativists
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
I just think it's funny he thinks the US is powerful because it prints money.
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4253
the US is powerful because you've been better empire builders since capitalising on the gains from the two world- and then cold- wars. he's pissed because the US's process of empire has come with a friendly smile and a warm handshake. the russian mode of empire is simply more honest and to the point.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-02-12 08:05:31)

Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6774|Moscow, Russia

rdx-fx wrote:

Comrade Ruskie comes across as someone frustrated

Uzique wrote:

he's pissed
i'm not frustrated. and i'm not pissed. i'm not sure how to relate this, this huge grin and eyebrows raised i get whenever i read topics like this one - printed words don't provide for that kinda stuff and my poor english doesn't help either... i'm kinda amused, you know. the sheer hypocrisy of the people who call me brainwashed and then claim to have freedom of speech and democracy in united states, who accuse russia of meddling and of being aggressive towards a sovereign nation in south ossetia and then fully support their respective nations' involvement in so called "arab spring" - it would have been simply funny if these same people didn't express themselves as perfectly rational and capable of critical thinking on other topics, but as it stands it's just... i cannot quite wrap my mind about it, it's a cognitive dissonance of sorts. anybody wants to explain that to me? because i'm at a loss here.

rdx-fx wrote:

They don't "hate us for our freedom fries" - They hate us because they think we're spoiled, egotistical, blind, and uncaring.
i don't hate you, man. what's the point in hating you - you are but a product of the society you've been born to. what i'm amazed by is how easily some you tend to suspend even the most basic common sense whenever holding to the notion of... ummm... "freedom, liberty and pursuit of happiness" you seem to hold requires that.

Last edited by Shahter (2013-02-12 22:09:46)

Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4253
i think most posters like rdx are fully aware of america's pax americana and its imperial activities. i think rdx is pretty clued-in, really, when it comes to america's involvement in the middle-east (and south america, and the far east, and, well, just about everywhere). sure, they can rhetorically bend it and make it broadly palatable with their 'democracy is the best option' ideology... but i don't think they have their heads stuck in the sand when they see that their governments are power-manipulative and resource-opportunist. just they are convinced that their brand of government and version of running things is somehow the 'key', or the end-goal of history, or the apex of human achievement, or something. that's where the yankee ideology comes into it: unwavering belief, contrary to specific local histories and customs, that american-brand democracy will fix everything (or, cynically, will co-opt and subsume everything into a world capitalist order that the US holds the wheel to).

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-02-13 07:01:42)

Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6621|Little Bentcock
Apparently the Egyptian Army have yet again overthrown the government.

http://www.news.com.au/world-news/egypt … 6673981680
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6715
at least the army is trying to be secular
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
13/f/taiwan
+940|5697

i want to clarify something about this situation in egypt and the entire "arab spring." it's not so much about democracy as it is about food, water, gas and other basic commodities. most people, especially in a region where poverty is widespread, don't care about notions like democracy and constitutional legitimacy. they want to live peacefully and healthful. i can confidently say this applies to a large majority of people throughout the world.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6715

13/f/taiwan wrote:

i want to clarify something about this situation in egypt and the entire "arab spring." it's not so much about democracy as it is about food, water, gas and other basic commodities. most people, especially in a region where poverty is widespread, don't care about notions like democracy and constitutional legitimacy. they want to live peacefully and healthful. i can confidently say this applies to a large majority of people throughout the world.
i was just trying to look at the bright side

every riot/revolution in the world has more to do basic commodities than anything else

didnt zique post an article about the correlation between food prices and revolutions?
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4253

Cybargs wrote:

13/f/taiwan wrote:

i was just trying to look at the bright side

every riot/revolution in the world has more to do basic commodities than anything else

didnt zique post an article about the correlation between food prices and revolutions?
yeah it was a study by some think-tank. basically the 'arab spring' correlates exactly to the spike in this years' food price. i think it may even have something to do with the failure of a crop in america, believe it or not.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard