Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX

13urnzz wrote:

Pulp Fiction is the best film of April 1, 1994
There was nothing in Pulp Fiction which wasn't in Twin Peaks.

There's a narrow line between paying homage and sucking dick. Tarantino does nothing but the latter, with a bit of B-movie gore and ultraviolence because no-ones ever done that before

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2013-02-06 01:23:44)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6652|Disaster Free Zone
Sorry all but From Dusk till Dawn is quite obviously Tarantinos best work.

Ultrafunkula
Hector: Ding, ding, ding, ding...
+1,975|6444|6 6 4 oh, I forget

Dilbert_X wrote:

13urnzz wrote:

There's a narrow line between paying homage and sucking dick. Tarantino does nothing but the latter, with a bit of B-movie gore and ultraviolence because no-ones ever done that before
Uhh... Why are you comparing him to David Lynch?
5 year engagement - 7/10 if you find yourself questioning the whole 'what's next step in relationship to marriage or should we step back' .. this is for you. If you liked Bridesmaids, this fits in there although not as good as shitting in the dress shop.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4225

Ultrafunkula wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

13urnzz wrote:

uhh... because tarantino has quite obviously and consciously taken most of david lynch's stylistic hallmarks? if you know anything about lynch and his movies, you will see rightaway that tarantino has pretty much wholesale copied most of his signature techniques.
Ultrafunkula
Hector: Ding, ding, ding, ding...
+1,975|6444|6 6 4 oh, I forget

Seen them pretty much all. Since I don't pay attention to that stuff when watching movies, what techniques do you mean? Gimme a few examples.
jsnipy
+3,276|6493|...

Dilbert_X wrote:

ultraviolence
korova milk bar
jord
+2,382|6649|The North, beyond the wall.
i'll take the drencrom
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4225

Ultrafunkula wrote:

Seen them pretty much all. Since I don't pay attention to that stuff when watching movies, what techniques do you mean? Gimme a few examples.
already mentioned by me and dilbert in about 4 different posts. read.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

AussieReaper wrote:

In all honesty I want to hear your opinion on Planet Terror.
Planet Terror is a fun movie
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Warm Bodies = 6/10

A bit of a chick flick, but still a better love story than twilight. Not as much skeleton vs zombie vs survivor as I'd like, but what can you do.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX

Ultrafunkula wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

13urnzz wrote:

I dunno, it makes no sense, I mean why do people compare George Lucas with Akira Kurosawa?
https://img.ffffound.com/static-data/assets/6/6e1a9e237d046fc13a49178ac99a63bfa27969ab_m.jpg
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5970|...

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

Shocking wrote:

Django Unchained

Absolute 10/10. Best Tarantino film I've seen and I've seen them all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMkujuy9bMc

!
are you kidding? django unchained is not a great movie. review your opinion in 3 months, after the hype has worn off.

it was a 7/10 for me, at best. the plot was fucking terrible. the twist/escape deus ex machina was fucking laughable. tarantino's cameo was no longer a quaint in-joke and reference, and more of an outright disrespect - the worst acting he has ever done. jamie as the lead actor was bad: his acting only seemed good in the scenes where he was next to tarantino, which is really saying something. the violence and nigger references were tedious. the whole movie is wrapped up in an ethically dubious sense of boring-predictable controversy that i don't care for one bit. half of the scenes coulda met the cutting room floor, graciously, and stayed there. the KKK pillow-case scene wasn't funny, wasn't intelligent, wasn't slapstick, and wasn't right being in the movie (nor was the fat kid from superbad's casting, and terrible accent).

"10/10 best ever tarantino" suggests you are not much of a film buff. if you want an exotically-themed gore-fest, kill bill is far superior in just about every single way.
Yes, tarantino's cameo was bad. The 'deus ex machina' escape didn't really bother me. I thoroughly enjoyed the film and had many laughs. I don't understand why people are complaining about Foxx's acting (as most 'critics' are doing) because imo he did great in the role he was given. What did people expect from him? The character was written to be a certain way and Foxx acted django perfectly.

I'm not a film critic and I don't care enough to defend my personal opinion of the movie against you. The movie simply delivered above and beyond my expectations, I liked the story and I loved Waltz. While Kill Bill is a great movie, for me, this one tops it.

Last edited by Shocking (2013-02-07 11:57:38)

inane little opines
Benzin
+576|5969
The Last Stand - 0/10

There is nothing redeeming about this movie. At all. I knew it was going to be bad after the first 15 minutes and yet I stayed in the theater. I have no idea why. Horrible acting. Horrible writing. Horrible everything. Do not waste your money on this steaming pile of dog shit. Unless you enjoyed "The Expendables". If you enjoyed those movies, you'll like enjoy this film, because you're a fucking idiot.
Benzin
+576|5969

AussieReaper wrote:

I didn't like Inglorious Basterds.

It was a stupid movie.
Agreed. I saw it when visiting the USA and I was speaking English all the time, so it was a nice opportunity to practice my German while I was away from Vienna for so many weeks. Didn't have to look at the subtitles once. If it wasn't for Waltz, the movie would have been even worse. If it wasn't for Brad Pitt, it might have been better.

Superior Mind wrote:

I was always skeptical of film majors whose favorite director was Quentin Tarantino. I enjoyed all of his films, but his style reminds me of anime more so than in any other films. I like anime so that's not an issue with me. The excess gore is not meant to be serious. I interpret it as being a kind of exaggerated dramatics, a vaudeville style of performance. What this style achieves is over-stimulation in whatever emotion is being grabbed at. This opposes to the general logical complication of a film which draws on that to achieve more subtle, but more powerful, emotional grabs. Of all the directors that do pure entertainment, Tarantino does some of the best.
QT is about violence for the sake of violence. It has no place, no meaning, no sense. I agree with Uzique when he said the bounty hunting scenes were when the movie was at its best. Certainly it had its violent moments, but it all made sense. After that, it just seemed to be blood and guts because he felt the scene didn't have enough. I don't know. I liked Django much more than Basterds, but it certainly isn't the Holy Grail that so many are hailing it to be.
Ruby sparks - 6.5/10 a loner guy writes a girlfriend to life.. Weird Science with no science and lack of comedy lol At least antonio banderas has a minor role, fun to watch him Spoiler (highlight to read):
Pretty fun until the control/jealousy starts and it gets all twisted psychological. Lesson: to not be Picky i suppose 
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6684|Purplicious Wisconsin
I'm sorry, but I fail to see how it is Weird Science.
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5149|Sydney
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo - 9/10

I haven't seen the original and I've heard that is better.

Batman Rises - 6/10

They just dragged it out way too long and movies that tug at the patriotic heart strings just annoy me at those times.

Skyfall - 8/10

Thoroughly enjoyed it.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6123|what

Django Unchained

9/10

Really enjoyed it. Only complaint would be that is was very long. Almost three hours and there was certainly a point the movie could have ended and you'd walk away still impresses (had they shaken hands and left).

Leo was great (cant believe no Oscar nom) but Samuel Jackson was the surprise package, what a cool performance.

See it at the cinema if you can, on DVD it just wouldn't be the same.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4225
"samuel jackson played himself" - ishmael reed.

War Man wrote:

I'm sorry, but I fail to see how it is Weird Science.
the Premise of weird science.   ruby sparks - he writes about his dream girl and she comes to life.. pretty similar.

weird science is a 10/10

Last edited by Kimmmmmmmmmmmm (2013-02-09 08:52:14)

Benzin
+576|5969

Jaekus wrote:

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo - 9/10

I haven't seen the original and I've heard that is better.
If you've read the book, you'll like the David Fincher version better. The Swedish version sucked, I really did not enjoy it at all. They changed far too much from the book and the American version stays much truer to the original material. That being said, the second Swedish movie was quite good, so I'm sure the second American one will blow our socks off.
-CARNIFEX-[LOC]
Da Blooze
+111|6624
Argo: 8/10.

Well-paced and well-directed. Ben Affleck's acting in Argo was far from amazing compared to a lot of the other cast members, and given the fact that he is in the lead role I would have to say it was the weakest aspect of the film. Ironically, it may still have been his best effort as starring role, so I guess he pulled it off even if it was done in unexceptional fashion.

I don't know if it deserves the high acclaim it has received (the "USA, rah rah rah!" effect?), but it's still a good watch.

The Hobbit: 6-ish/10

A somewhat enjoyable spectacle, but it was long-winded and overly drawn out, simply for the sake of being...long-winded and drawn out. Glad I didn't pay to see it in a theatre.

Killing Them Softly: 7/10

This was similar to Argo in that the lead (Brad Pitt) may have very well been the weakest link in the film - he was really good in some of the scenes, but definitely phoned it in for others. The pacing was also a bit up and down, with superfluous scenes making it drag in a couple of parts, but it was a decent crime drama on the whole.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/12516/Bitch%20Hunter%20Sig.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Glad I didn't pay to see it in a theatre.
Then what do you have to complain about?
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6709|Toronto | Canada

-CARNIFEX-[LOC] wrote:

Glad I didn't pay to see it in a theatre.
How did you see it then? I really hope youre judging a visual spectacle meant to be seen in 48fps and 3D on a shakey cam with people talking in the background

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard