PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6161|Roma
Aha. I thought it pretty much worked that way in the UK anyway? Debit cards are free to use, and afaik don't cost the merchant anything.
I still can't get over countries that don't have free banking. Entirely changes the way I use cards and cash when I'm abroad.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6381|'Murka

We've got that in the US, too. It's called a debit card.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5148|Sydney
EFTPOS in Australia uses the bank card you would use to get money out from an ATM, which is different to a debit card.
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6161|Roma
I only had one of those cards when i wasn't old enough to have a debit card. Then I got a debit card which does exactly the same, and more.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png
Jaekus
+957|5148|Sydney
True...
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6651|Disaster Free Zone

Jaekus wrote:

EFTPOS in Australia uses the bank card you would use to get money out from an ATM, which is different to a debit card.
no, they're exactly the same thing.
EFTPOS is used in practically every country around the world it just might not be called as such.
Jaekus
+957|5148|Sydney
Meaning different in the fact you can't use a bankcard the same way you can use a debit card like a credit card.
Jaekus
+957|5148|Sydney
I'm tired and hungover. My ability to communicate effectively is impaired
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England

Jaekus wrote:

Not true. My debit card is my atm card. I can swipe it at registers (or tap it if they have an rf chip reader) and choose to pay as either credit or debit.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/385297_606149986069249_975604539_n.jpg
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6381|'Murka

Hey! You're not supposed to shop that pic! White House said so!
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6467

jay wouldn't know photoshop if it bit him on the ass.

actually, jay wouldn't be aware that photoshop or anything else bit him on the ass.
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6294|Graz, Austria

PrivateVendetta wrote:

Aha. I thought it pretty much worked that way in the UK anyway? Debit cards are free to use, and afaik don't cost the merchant anything.
I still can't get over countries that don't have free banking. Entirely changes the way I use cards and cash when I'm abroad.
That system works the same across Europe pretty much.
However, banks in many countries charge you some extra fee if you don't draw money from an ATM in a branch of that bank.
Germany is notorious for that, with pretty much every district town counting as a separate bank, although it's the same.

Here in Austria, there's no difference and no charge.

Some merchants charged some small fee if you used your bank card/debit card for amounts smaller than €5, but that behaviour has pretty much vanished in favour of the customer.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX

Jay wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

Not true. My debit card is my atm card. I can swipe it at registers (or tap it if they have an rf chip reader) and choose to pay as either credit or debit.
I think we know how EFTPOS works, thanks.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
rdx-fx
+955|6561

Dilbert_X wrote:

There's no third party, eg Visa, between your bank and the merchant, and the payment goes through on the day - soon to be on the minute.
Hah!

In the US, the payment goes through when the bank feels like putting it through.
Anytime from same day to 5 days from now.

Banks will take all transactions from the last 5 days in a batch, and process them in order from highest to lowest.
So, your rent check will go through, but those 20 little $5 to $50 purchases are all going to bounce for the poor folk, maximizing the number of overdraft fees the bank can charge.
Some banks have been accused of reordering the batch transactions to maximize overdraft charges
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5556

Jay wrote:

Don't use a credit card?

Was the merchant supposed to eat 4% loss on every credit card purchase? Makes sense
A handful of businesses forced the credit card companies to change their policies by taking them to court. Aren't you a person who thinks the government shouldn't be involved in businesses?
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6294|Graz, Austria

rdx-fx wrote:

In the US, the payment goes through when the bank feels like putting it through.
This has been regulated in the EU last year I think.
Now any national transaction can only take until the next day.
International 2-3 days maximum, IIRC.

Also, now you get back the aliquot part of your annual fee of your credit card in case you unsubscribe.
Previously, if they deducted the annual fee in January, you could have stayed for another year, since it was already paid.
rdx-fx
+955|6561

rdx-fx wrote:

globefish23 wrote:

Also, now you get back the aliquot part of your annual fee of your credit card in case you unsubscribe.
Previously, if they deducted the annual fee in January, you could have stayed for another year, since it was already paid.
In the US, corporations are legally considered persons.
"We can't be infringin' on them thar corporate entities Cons-ta-too-shunal raights!..."
/sarcasm

"Corporations are People too!" - that has to be one of the top five most batshit insane legal precedents ever passed.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686

rdx-fx wrote:

rdx-fx wrote:

globefish23 wrote:

"We can't be infringin' on them thar corporate entities Cons-ta-too-shunal raights!..."
/sarcasm

"Corporations are People too!" - that has to be one of the top five most batshit insane legal precedents ever passed.
Legal person =/= person

it just means companies can be sued (and not just their owners) and have the right sue others (especially in cases of intellectual property laws).

but that's another whole topic
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
rdx-fx
+955|6561

Cybargs wrote:

Legal person =/= person

it just means companies can be sued (and not just their owners) and have the right sue others (especially in cases of intellectual property laws).

Incorrect.
1 U.S.C. §1 "In determining the meaning of any Act of Congress, unless the context indicates otherwise-- the words "person" and "whoever" include corporations, companies, associations, firms, partnerships, societies, and joint stock companies, as well as individuals;"

The fundamental flaws in this are that you cannot punish a corporation in the same way you can punish a person. 
All of the upside of being a person, none of the downside.

The ancient Roman legal precedent for this had more common sense limits than we do currently.

14th Amendment was a post Civil War Amendment designed to protect newly freed black slaves.  Now, it's been extended to apply to corporations too.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

So how about that whole child hostage thing.

https://i.imgur.com/mLB3ErH.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/2wyGCt5.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
According to court records, Dykes had been due to appear in court last Wednesday, accused of menacing neighbours as they drove past his home some weeks ago.

People who live nearby said he had once beaten a dog to death with a lead pipe, threatened to shoot children for setting foot on his property and patrolled his yard at night with a flashlight and a firearm.

Court records showed Dykes was arrested in Florida in 1995 for improper exhibition of a weapon, but the charges were dismissed.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-21331760
I'd say he probably shouldn't have been in possession of a firearm.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

He didn't sign up for this shit.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6467

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

Cybargs wrote:

rdx-fx wrote:

rdx-fx wrote:

globefish23 wrote:

/sarcasm

Legal person =/= person

If you were half the legal/constitutional scholar you pretend to be, you'd know the consequences of considering coporations as citizens is very far reaching. The creep on the 14th amendment has been taking place for at least 20 years- and the citizens united case goes to show the creep isn't ending any time soon, in fact is getting worse. That bullshit you said about IP is just the tip of the iceberg - there are far more troubling issues (one of which is mentioned by rdx- all the positives, minimal amount of negative). In other words, cybargs you have no idea what you are talking about.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard