Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6709

Dilbert_X wrote:

RAIMIUS wrote:

I don't condone torture.
Some methods of torture and interrogation are used for a reason though.
Pick one.

Really, its not been shown that torture in Iraq or Afghanistan ever produced anything useful.
Even if it did it wouldn't be moral, and there would have been better ways to achieve the same objective so what would be the point, apart from so some Jack Bauer fantasist can feel better about himself?
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

Dilbert_X wrote:

RAIMIUS wrote:

I don't condone torture.
Pick one.
One of these statements does not hinge on the other.

I can say that maybe there was a reason a Chinese lady stomped on a kitten, but that doesn't mean I think it was a good one, nor do I condone it.
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6707|US

Dilbert_X wrote:

RAIMIUS wrote:

I don't condone torture.
Pick one.

Really, its not been shown that torture in Iraq or Afghanistan ever produced anything useful.
Even if it did it wouldn't be moral, and there would have been better ways to achieve the same objective so what would be the point, apart from so some Jack Bauer fantasist can feel better about himself?
Um, both.  That was kind of my point.

I agree.  Torture is not moral. 
I also believe that it can produce information.  Is it the most efficient and reliable way?  Maybe not.  I don't have the expertise in behavioral psychology to really speak to how it works at more than a 2-college course level.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6099|eXtreme to the maX
The implication was there could be a valid reason implying justification.

As far as I know there's never been a reason good enough to justify torture.
Even wanting to know where Bin Laden was doesn't justify it.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6709

RAIMIUS wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

RAIMIUS wrote:

I don't condone torture.
Pick one.

I also believe that it can produce information.  Is it the most efficient and reliable way?  Maybe not.  I don't have the expertise in behavioral psychology to really speak to how it works at more than a 2-college course level.
Torture is the worst way of getting actual intel.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6625|949

RAIMIUS wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

RAIMIUS wrote:

I don't condone torture.
Pick one.

In light of a lack of expertise in behavioral psychology, we could look at the massive amount of data on the subject.  The US and other countries engage in torture and not-torture.  Which provides more useful information?
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6709

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

RAIMIUS wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

RAIMIUS wrote:

I don't condone torture.
Pick one.

In light of a lack of expertise in behavioral psychology, we could look at the massive amount of data on the subject.  The US and other countries engage in torture and not-torture.  Which provides more useful information?
Malaysia and Singapore is doing pretty well in their counter-terrorism OPs.
13/f/taiwan
+940|5691
Former CIA agent Kiriakou get 30 months for name leak

A former CIA agent who leaked a covert officer's name to the media has been sentenced to 30 months in prison.

John Kiriakou, 48, pleaded guilty in 2012 to violating an intelligence law. No-one had been convicted under the statute in 27 years.

He admitted passing on the name of a former officer who was part of the interrogation of detainees, including alleged waterboarding.

Defence lawyers argued that Kiriakou was a whistleblower.

US District Judge Leonie Brinkema rejected that argument, and said she would have given him a longer sentence if she could.

A plea deal required the former agent be sentenced to 30 months.

The investigation began after lawyers for suspected terrorists filed a legal brief, including details not provided by the government.

The trail led back to Kiriakou, according to court records.

Prosecutors said the former officer leaked the name of a covert operative to a journalist, who subsequently disclosed it to a researcher working for the lawyer of a Guantanamo detainee.

They argued Kiriakou was merely seeking to increase his fame and public stature by trading on his insider knowledge.

A separate charge, involving an alleged disclosure to a New York Times reporter, was dropped as part of the plea deal, the Times reports.

Kiriakou was an agent with the CIA between 1990 and 2004.

In 2002, he led an operation that captured Abu Zubaydah, a suspected al-Qaeda financier, who was allegedly waterboarded 83 times.

In 2007, Kiriakou said in an interview with ABC News that waterboarding had been used to break down Zubaydah.

Kiriakou later worked as a consultant for the US news network and published a book, entitled The Reluctant Spy: My Secret Life in the CIA's War on Terror. A charge related to the book was also dropped in the plea deal.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-21203233

How are CIA agents(or any other persons for that matter) suppose to expose any unethical or illegal conduct committed by the governmental organization they work for without opening themselves up to criminal liability? This seems more as a ploy to ensure that no one speaks out against the agency.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
He should have been Scooter Libby, he got off scot free for doing the same thing - at the behest of Cheney.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5578

The Obama administration has been prosecuting people who leak information like crazy.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6709

13/f/taiwan wrote:

A former CIA agent who leaked a covert officer's name to the media has been sentenced to 30 months in prison.

John Kiriakou, 48, pleaded guilty in 2012 to violating an intelligence law. No-one had been convicted under the statute in 27 years.

He admitted passing on the name of a former officer who was part of the interrogation of detainees, including alleged waterboarding.

US District Judge Leonie Brinkema rejected that argument, and said she would have given him a longer sentence if she could.

The investigation began after lawyers for suspected terrorists filed a legal brief, including details not provided by the government.

Prosecutors said the former officer leaked the name of a covert operative to a journalist, who subsequently disclosed it to a researcher working for the lawyer of a Guantanamo detainee.

They argued Kiriakou was merely seeking to increase his fame and public stature by trading on his insider knowledge.

A separate charge, involving an alleged disclosure to a New York Times reporter, was dropped as part of the plea deal, the Times reports.

In 2002, he led an operation that captured Abu Zubaydah, a suspected al-Qaeda financier, who was allegedly waterboarded 83 times.

In 2007, Kiriakou said in an interview with ABC News that waterboarding had been used to break down Zubaydah.

Kiriakou later worked as a consultant for the US news network and published a book, entitled The Reluctant Spy: My Secret Life in the CIA's War on Terror. A charge related to the book was also dropped in the plea deal.

How are CIA agents(or any other persons for that matter) suppose to expose any unethical or illegal conduct committed by the governmental organization they work for without opening themselves up to criminal liability? This seems more as a ploy to ensure that no one speaks out against the agency.
Must be a pretty shit spy for getting caught leaking info.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6404|'Murka

13/f/taiwan wrote:

I find the assertion that no one has been convicted under that statute in 27 years difficult to believe. The statute is violation of their non-disclosure agreement regarding classified information. People get convicted under that statute regularly.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I guess various people have been convicted for doing the same thing, but not under the same law.

eg for exactly the same offence Scooter Libby was convicted of one count of obstruction of justice, two counts of perjury, and one count of making false statements,
Cheeky_Ninja06
+52|6725|Cambridge, England

13/f/taiwan wrote:

Is a journalist the best person to go to with that sort of information? Really?

Does sound like "selling a story" tbh
13/f/taiwan
+940|5691
http://www.opensocietyfoundations.org/s … 120205.pdf

The only country that sticks out is Iran. I would never expect that the Iranians would kidnap foreign nationals in their country and indirectly trade them to the US.

After being extraordinarily rendered by the United States to Egypt in 2002, Ibn al-Shaykh al-Libi, under threat of torture at the hands of Egyptian officials, fabricated information relating to Iraq’s provision of chemical and biological weapons training to Al Qaeda. In 2003, then Secretary of State Colin Powell relied on this fabricated information in his speech to the United Nations that made the case for war against Iraq.
A false confession aiding to a dangerous mistake.

If you have the stomach for it, read into the torture methods used. The idea that there are people willing to do this to other people is insane.
13/f/taiwan
+940|5691

Cheeky_Ninja06 wrote:

Is a journalist the best person to go to with that sort of information? Really?

Does sound like "selling a story" tbh
Where else would he go? File a complaint with the UN? Torture is illegal across the globe but the US and many other nations have and still participate in it to this day. He leaked information about illegal misconduct and was right in doing so. If the system won't remedy the issue the next best move is to use the press. Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

While he may be "selling his story" you have to understand that he put his name out in the open. Whistleblowers in many professions(such as this one) are looked down upon and distrusted by many of their colleagues as well as potential employers. The road afterwards is not so rewarding and filled with coworkers and superiors applauding you for doing the right thing. Expecting monetary assurance for you or your family because you're placing yourself in the crosshairs of a powerful organization is understandable.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard