Brasso
+1,549|6600

FEOS wrote:

Yep. This is the next one in the series.
wait what? wiki says they are part of two different series but are in the same world.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6123|what

Brasso wrote:

FEOS wrote:

wait what? wiki says they are part of two different series but are in the same world.
oh snap

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tales_of_Dunk_and_Egg
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Brasso
+1,549|6600

AussieReaper wrote:

Brasso wrote:

FEOS wrote:

oh snap

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tales_of_Dunk_and_Egg
we were talking about Follett's books you dunce
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6260|Washington St.
any recommendations for good biographies? specifically musicians or actors. my gf is asking for some but I'm not a big biographies fan.

plox and thanks
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4224
here's one i made earlier

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BBd79uNCcAQn_pm.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

You bought Arnold's book? I thought the title was cute but didn't think it'd be worth the money.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6381|'Murka

Brasso wrote:

FEOS wrote:

A continuation--next generation.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4224
a good rule of thumb for me is that if books come in 'series' or 'generations', they are probably pulpy shite.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

a good rule of thumb for me is that if books come in 'series' or 'generations', they are probably pulpy shite.
It is pulpy stuff, but the story, at least in the original novel, was quite good. Ken Follett is a more than decent writer.

But he's also popular so you wouldn't like him.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4224

Jay wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

It is pulpy stuff, but the story, at least in the original novel, was quite good. Ken Follett is a more than decent writer.

yeah that would make sense if my top 5 writers of all time weren't also some of the most popular writers of all time.

jay you have hipster insecurity.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6381|'Murka

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

A valid point. But also proof that generalizations are often inaccurate when applied to a specific situation.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5555

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

I said that awhile ago about the game of thrones/SOFAI series. Good show but the books aren't the length and time. And don't even get me started on that Mongol series..
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

Jay wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

yeah that would make sense if my top 5 writers of all time weren't also some of the most popular writers of all time.

jay you have hipster insecurity.
Yes, I'm the hipster here...
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Wreckognize
+294|6455
Just finished up hard-Boiled Wonderland & The End of the World by Haruki Murakami.  It was fucking fantastic.  Never read any of his work before but I'm definitely going to check more of it out.  Now on to Blindness by Jose Saramago.

Last edited by Wreckognize (2013-02-09 11:30:12)

Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4224
http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/booksbl … CMP=twt_fd

Reading any of Roberts's 13 published science fiction novels I often find myself thinking of their author as the last true science fiction writer. It's an exaggeration, there are other original voices in the field, but few as consistently and startlingly original. In a field where most writers can be relied upon to write the same book over and over again, Roberts insists on writing an entirely different book every time.
full disclosure: i hate science-fiction. the only sci-fi i have ever enjoyed was dune (when i was young) and william gibson (who brings a literary sensibility and prose style to an otherwise pretty straitjacketed and starchy genre, imo). has anyone read adam roberts? i'm kind of embarrassed to have not read him - he was my personal tutor, who i saw once a week, for like 2 years. brilliant teacher, but i always wrote off his work as some kitschy side-gig. i was wrong. with an academic conference being organized this year, solely for discussion of his works/influence, and with the media stepping up their praise of his latest work... seems it's time to take notice.

i'm just curious if there are any sci-fi fans here, which i guess is likely, and whether or not they have heard of / read his stuff... which i guess is less likely. do let me know, though.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Haven't heard of him, no.
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
Whats wrong with science fiction as a genre? There's plenty of trash in it but then so there is in other genres.

brings a literary sensibility and prose style to an otherwise pretty straitjacketed and starchy genre
So much irony in one sentence.

i was wrong. with an academic conference being organized this year, solely for discussion of his works/influence, and with the media stepping up their praise of his latest work... seems it's time to take notice
But as soon as the critics say its OK its OK?

Why do academics have such a downer on any genre which has an element of science, fantasy or futurism in it?

I say its because they're imaginationless dweebs who can't bear creativity because it reminds them they have none - as they endlessly chew over the past.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2013-02-15 22:56:44)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4224
lol what are you rambling about now. there is a huge academic interest in science-fiction - there always has been. i spoke about my own personal preference and my own absent-minded assumption about his work (in his off-time he also writes parodies; parody really is the lowest form of wit, in my opinion - they're cynical cash-in books for a man who already makes six-figures plus a year). i was wrong in my assumptions about the 'high' ambitions and tone of his works. i thought it was just pulp doggerel as a side-interest. turns out the writing gig is possibly his main interest, and academia is perhaps just his stable bread-winner.

nowhere, anywhere, did i suggest academia thinks sci-fi is crap. there's plenty of sci-fi studied in academia. fyi, as i'm sure you'll be overjoyed to know, i mentioned i liked william gibson's works - i studied his stuff, gasp!, under one of the world's top scholars of technology and modernism. sci-fi! in the academy! but, as the guardian article points out, though, historically sci-fi seems to have gone off the track a little in recent years and has devolved into a kind of staid, 'safe' form of genre fiction, i.e. no new formal or thematic progression. sci-fi, at its worst, is just another predictable category like the 'detective novel'. but that's a comment about contemporary trends and writing. it's pretty funny that you'll just rant seethlingly about academics over literally fucking anything, hahaha. relax dilbert. you are categorically wrong, talking out of your ass. put the toys back in the pram. compose yourself. try not to look just so irrational in every single post you make.

oh yes, academics can't bear creativity! they just can't handle the immense creativity inherent in a work of sci-fi or speculative history! aaaargh! my little dweebish head! what's that? finnegan's wake? no problem. not creative at at all.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-02-16 03:37:51)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
And yet you're ready to dismiss the entire genre, saying you 'hate science fiction'.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4224
for someone who constantly wants to boil down all of art's value and aesthetic merit into a subjective-relative infinite regress, you sure are angered by me being personally forthright - "full disclosure" - about not enjoying sci-fi. i've studied it. "dismiss the entire genre"? i said quite clearly that ihave enjoyed a few books, where the particular settings and themes appeal to my own intellectual interests and aesthetic tastes (i.e. gibson and technology, gibson's importing of a high-prose style into a pretty stylistically conservative genre). nowhere did i say "sci fi is crap". lots of academics write on sci-fi, clearly lots of people buy sci-fi, sci-fi clearly is a major genre. it's just not for me, though. just like 'the long 18th century' romance and parochial tales are not for me. of artistic merit - sure. will i spend my saturday's reading about them? no. why does that offend you so much? why do you think you have a fucking point, even? i have been very clear in my posts about it being a personal preference. this is what you do though, isn't it? pick on a different arbitrary thing to get angry and rant about. any other day you'd be strenuously dismissing all art criticism in toto and saying that it's all just a matter of harmless subjective opinions. today a subjective opinion has riled you. wonderful.

now are you going to actually talk about this sci-fi you're going to such lengths to be aggravated over & defend? are you going to be on topic? or are you going to petulantly harp on one small sub-clause of my post, which wasn't even of any major relevancy, so you can trigger 3 pages of back-and-forth to nowheresville, again? great job dilderp.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-02-16 03:59:13)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Why do you feel the need to 'hate' it? Thats well beyond saying 'it's just not for me'.

And yet as soon as there's an academic conference about one author its suddenly terribly interesting.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4224
it isn't terribly interesting to me. isn't that obvious? that's why i'm asking any sci-fi fans here what their thoughts are / if they are aware. because it doesn't really pertain to me. i'm looking for someone else's view. someone who possibly knows more than me about sci-fi. what's wrong with that? nowhere am i saying it's "terribly interesting". you are being a boor. trying to be provocative when there is absolutely no point. congratulations.

and "hate" obviously isn't used in the extremest or most literal sense of the word. i don't have a picture of asimov on my wall that i throw darts at every day. most sci-fi i have read (a decent amount) falls into a weird thinly-veiled allegorical type of social/political conservative (a la heinlein), or is the aforementioned 'genre fiction' that seldom goes anywhere. a few examples of sci-fi i have read seem to fall outside of the purview of 20th century conservativism and moralising/finger-wagging - and i've quite enjoyed them, thanks. but the genre, in the commonly held view, is in a bit of a sorry state. 'hate' is obviously not literally intended. if anyone literally 'hated' something as abstract and benign as an artistic genre, they'd have issues. unless it was country music. in which case, it's self-evident.

are you going to bore off now?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
If you're so expert on the word hate why did you use it in a way you didn't literally intend?

Your backpedalling is pathetic.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4224
lol jesus christ. backpedaling! i don't like sci-fi. i am reasonably well-read in it, and the genre gives me the fantods, generally. it makes me wince. this is not a 'uzique' special view. many people think sci-fi has gone off the rails. the general tone of that article, aimed at the most general of reading audiences, implies it throughout. "back-pedaling". no i am not back-pedaling on not liking sci-fi. nor am i apologizing about it to you, who is truly being pathetic... over nothing. like a mutt with a bone.

do you always use language in everyday casual speech as it "literally" signifies? never use a word for an intended effect? nope. just literalisation. having a conversation with you, master logician, must be riveting. shall i go back through some of your recent posts and find the usages of words that is not, perhaps, strictly 'literal'? oh no, wait, that would be fucking pedantic. as you are being now. to no end.

it's funny the lengths you will go to pointlessly waste your time getting angry and blowing hot air at me. ANY OTHER DAY you would be telling me "all art is subjective", so i have to accept people's (perhaps ill-formed or not justified at all) opinions on xyz. and yet here i am, saying i've read quite a bit, and i simply don't like something (read: not saying the genre itself is trash; just my personal preference can quite comfortably leave it) and you are getting MAJOR BUTTHURT. these are the ends you will go to to be indignant and prissy with me. it's quite romantic, in a way: you'll bend over backwards and contradict everything you've said in the past, just so you can command my attention for this fleeting moment of contact. it's okay dilbert, i am uploading a PNG of my penis right now, as we speak. soon you will be joined in holy matrimony. inner peace, at last. jesus h christ.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5555

Fantasy is a dead genre. Never cared for it in the first place anyway.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard