Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5935|London, England

should I sail from michigan to seattle in a sailboat?
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Long trip.
Mutantbear

ya
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I'd probably go for the Florida Keys first and see how you feel about it after.

e: and if you do, don't fuck around with the mouth of the Columbia river.
Mutantbear

well my uncle is buying a sailboat in michigan and he lives in seattle so he asked if I wanted to help him
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

If he knows wtf he's doing, I'd say go for it, then.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5556

Better learn some Spanish because it seems like you are going to have to sail the thing through the Panama canal.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5329|London, England
Northwest Passage!

(seriously, just have it transported )
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Mutantbear

Jay wrote:

Northwest Passage!

wheres the fun in that?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Where's the fun of being stuck on a sailboat for two months? Ha!
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6261|Washington St.
Stuck??! God that sounds like the trip of a lifetime. I had a buddy who took a boat from Seattle-area through the canal to the East Coast. He was in no hurry so he stopped and hung out a lot in the areas he passed and took a lot of pictures. He showed us the slideshow (come at him bro) and i was extremely jealous. EXTREMELY. I would kill to go on a trip like that.
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6162|Roma
If you actually have the time and money to take it through the canal, hell yeah do it.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5514|Toronto

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

Pochsy wrote:

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

http://www.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/news/queen-awards-prestigious-regius-professorships-twelve-universities
pretty cool m8
big up the arts and humanities posse
Interesting. Why didn't a Cambridge or Oxford department win a single one of these chairs if they are awarded based on excellence?
because oxbridge have been 'the' seats of excellence since like the 15th century. although their reputations carry them to the top of world rankings, a large part of it is 'brand' factor. there are a good 20 universities in the UK that all give oxbridge a run for their money, academically, especially in specific subjects/specialities... of course, employer prospects are another thing, and are often divorced from factual reality (constituting something more of a 'social fact' or truth, i suppose). for e.g. rhul is the best in the country for the (academic) study of music. warwick is leagues ahead when it comes to maths. imperial college trumps oxbridge at engineering. manchester's physics department has just as illustrious a history - of discovery, invention, nobel prizes, etc. - as cambridge's cavendish. etc.etc. oxbridge is like harvard-yale: massive names, massive research budgets, massive funding allocation. but the giants aren't always the best. even at traditional-high subjects, like history, or english, they're not the best. york and durham in the uk are two universities that barely grace the world top100, and they are both ahead of oxbridge in english literature - something you'd perhaps find surprising, considering oxbridge's whole 'image' is the quiet peaceful quads and contemplative lit/philosophy types swanning around, etc.. it's just not that simplistic.

as much as oxbridge gets fetishised and fawned over - particularly by international students with a simplistic, tourist-eye view - they are not the be all and end all. i'm going to oxford cause it has the largest funding budget. for literature - modern literature especially - i'd possibly be better off going to york, or staying in the university of london and switching departments to the university college.

i welcome the fact that universities outside of the 'superunis', which already hoard quite enough media attention and public finance, are finally getting celebrated.
I am entirely willing to accept that excellence does not have to occur within the already acclaimed institutions. It just seems to me that based on their method for determining that excellence with the criteria of, "the excellence of the Institution’s work in the proposed discipline 1-20 points; the recognition the discipline has gained, nationally and internationally, regardless of how long it has been studied 1-20 points; and Other factors, such as the chance to mark a significant event in the history of the institution or discipline 1-4 points," that it was designed specifically to exclude ocbridge. That is, I know they wouldn't deserve to win even a majority of the awards regardless of the selection criteria, but given the criteria that were used, I would say that each chair may have well been called the "boost lesser known institutions' reputation award".

Last edited by Pochsy (2013-01-31 10:37:01)

The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4225
you are stupid. why are you talking about something you know nothing about. 1-20 scales? oxbridge isn't the best when it comes to many subjects. oxbridge has had a regius professorship since like, the middle-ages. it doesn't get another because a university only gets one each. the ancient universities got theirs back in, like, 1600. there have been 14 given out since then. oxbridge is recognized plenty enough within academia. "lesser known institutions award"? these are only 'lesser known' institutions to idiot tourists like yourself. in the uk, warwick is shorthand for maths. imperial is shorthand for engineering. manchester is part of physics history. "lesser known"? they are all world-class. just you have an evident obsession with equating 'oxbridge' and 'excellence'. there is not a monopoly. oxbridge are just the picture-postcard universities, the tourist-lite 'uk elite culture' that is exported abroad. how is the LSE a 'lesser known' university? all the institutions recognized are world-class. the difference is that this new bunch weren't founded in the 1500's - it's mostly the victorian 1800's lot getting their rightful recognition.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-01-31 11:02:53)

Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5514|Toronto

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

you are stupid. why are you talking about something you know nothing about. 1-20 scales?
Did you read your own article? I copy and pasted that shit. That's the method provided. Take it up with the Queen who endorsed it.

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

oxbridge isn't the best when it comes to many subjects.
Solid. I think I conceded that point, so let's move on.

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

oxbridge has had a regius professorship since like, the middle-ages. it doesn't get another because a university only gets one each. the ancient universities got theirs back in, like, 1600. there have been 14 given out since then.
I hadn't realized each university could only hold a single chair within a single department for all of time. "You are, for all eternity, marked as the preeminent institution for X." It speaks nothing to their current status? Shit man, even Nobel Prize winners can hold more than one. We'll not let  sour the chair's mark of prestige. I'm just saying if you're not even competing with the whole pool, how do you know you're the best?
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4225
what are you talking about? it's awarded to the best department at any one time for a single chair. oxford still has an english one from like the 17th century when it is no longer the best at literature, or at least has several high contenders. it's just meant to be a seat distinguishing a department/university. chairs are just pomp and ceremony. it's extra bling for the elites to jewel their crowns with. it's not a 'this is definitely the best ever forever factually irrefutably so nur nur'. as the criteria made clear, it's an award that states, at the time of awarding, that the university/department was exceptional in some way, meriting a royal recognition. no award, league table ranking, eminence, reputation, or anything lasts forever. what a silly point. the reason oxbridge didn't get another right now is because, well, there are a load of universities that are just as good as oxbridge that haven't had an award since they were last dished out, centuries ago. it seems a bit silly to heap more (unnecessary/unearned) awards on oxbridge when so many other universities are world-leading now, no? as the site said: they were only going to award 6/7, but ended up even then awarding twice as many. there's a lot of talent outside of oxbridge. so why are you taking it like such a goon? are you upset you canucks out in the provinces don't get royal recognition? that must be it. i can't see any other reason for you sucking all the fun out of a little academic indulgence.

p.s. oxbridge still wont accept you no matter how much you fulfill the stereotypical fawning north american role. they'll maybe take your extortionate fee money, for a minor course, but they'll still hate you. they hate 70% of the natives, already.

https://i.imgur.com/ZpqCgHs.jpg

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-01-31 12:38:40)

Frank Reynolds
+65|4300
What are you looking at dicknose
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Just watched the 30 Rock finale and I am not sad.
-Frederick Bastiat
Roc18
`
+655|5761|PROLLLY PROLLLY PROLLLY

Jay wrote:

Just watched the 30 Rock finale and I am not sad.
>Watching 30 Rock
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Jay wrote:

Northwest Passage!

"Ice" knowing you, bear.

e: yay last post

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2013-02-01 14:44:39)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard