karmon
+0|6753
First of all, i'd seen a post on another site that definitively proved the existance of bullet drop. So, adjust your aim at extreme distances right? The two events that happened to me seem to contradict with this information and i'm just trying to figure out an explanation as to how they both occured.

These aren't made up stories to incite, "Oohs," and "Aaahs." They are completely true, and still baffle me.

1) On Karkand, I was in the red box car nearest to the water crossing. I was alternating between covering the Train Accident flag cap and watching the opposite side of the river. By chance, I noticed two soldiers on top of the roof at factory. He had climbed to the top of the chimney and parachuted down onto the roof to crouch and fire on the flag. I took a potshot at him; I could only see his silhouette but I was easily able to lay the crosshairs on his head. One shot, and he died. I assumed it was a headshot, but that didn't make sense to me. I remembered the flag marker at Factory said 152m. Give or take a few meters, the guy was still 150-ish meters away especially when taking into account that he was at a higher elevation. Maybe he was already damaged? Possibly. But at such an extreme distance, wouldn't the bullet have dropped below his body (remember, he was prone on the roof).

2) On Karkand again, at the beginning skirmish zone (between Hotel and your Artillery Flags as USMC) I was on the little hill on the right. I had the M95 and had noticed it was finicky with aiming. I saw someone drop down where the threshold was in the wall (on that street where you get a lot of skirmishes). Basically, this was a short-medium range encounter. What I did was I aimed below the dude's head (About 0.6cm below his head) and I got a headshot.

The first would lead me to believe that bullet drop had no effect or had a negligible effect. The second just avoids my comprehension persistently. I read that you have to aim a little lower at short distances to account for recoil, but recoil occurs after the bullet has left the barrel, not before.

So yeah, sniping is tough, but it's a lot of fun. I was initially mesmerized by the brute force of the M95. It was my first unlock. However, I wasn't dazed by it's wondrous glass-penetrating abilities, but rather I had seen it in movies. One was Tremors where the thing shot through about seven walls, three barrels, and still bored through an engine block. And the other was in some movie with Navy SEALs in it. They had the sniper equipped with the M95 and some thermal imaging equipment mounted on the picatinny. The guy shot through concrete walls where enemies were hiding behind. Needless to say I knew this was Hollywood making glorified action scenes, but the gun had to be powerful.

To cut a long story short, it's definately not all it's cracked up to be (in BF2 anyway) and now i'm faithful to the M24.
Bloody Sky
+2|6841|Texas
Yeah when I'm on US, I will most likely pick the M24.

Any other team (MEC or China), I will go with the unlock M95.

I do agree with you, but I still think playing around wtih the M95 is good fun. If you dont get a head shot, you get lots of Kill Damage Assists with that gun. LoL
If I'm sniping with the M95 I usually have the most Kill Damage Assists in that round.
karmon
+0|6753
I would rather become proficient with the M95 over the M24 because the M95 ignores armor doesnt it? But it just leaves a lot to be desired in the way of accuracy. I've tried practicing with the gun and 'holding the fire button to see where my shot went' but a lot of times I can never see the bullet hole.

Edit:
Oh sweet, you play Guild Wars too.

Last edited by karmon (2005-10-30 20:25:47)

Bloody Sky
+2|6841|Texas
Yeah I seem to be getting better with the M95, it's just not as accurate as I would like (like the M24).

And yes, I love Guild Wars. I can't wait for the expansion (AKA "Chapter Two"). Although I rarely play it now because of BF2, and I think my BF2 time is about a little less than 90 hours away from taking my "All Time" total away from being GW.
A lot of people bash Guild Wars (saying that WoW is better) but I like it. (How could I not with my 500+ hours?)

Last edited by Bloody Sky (2005-10-30 20:29:39)

karmon
+0|6753
Yeah, but since my enlightenment with the rifles, I feel almost reborn using the M24. Like some kind of "I know better" enthusiast. I'm finding that I to snipe laterally you want to compensate as much as is necessary for the target to be under your crosshair by the time you hear the crack of the gun. It's getting hard getting the timing down, but i'm very comfortable. This is probably due in part to an on-the-fly sensitivity control on my mouse.
J0hn.F.Kenedy
+-1|6753|Longueuil
with m95 i aim slighly to the left and higher a bit to get a perfect headshot from 200m heres how i think the m95 recoil works at 200m its the same recoil as the svd aim way higher like a haed higher then the head and you might hit the chess from 200m aim slighly to the left to for more headshot chances....
karmon
+0|6753
Yeah but how about when I aimed below the head within 50 meters and still got a headshot?
m4sopmod
+1|6749
I gave up on the headshot thingy/bulletdrop thingy

I only get hs IF the target is less than 50m away. If it's more, one shot by a m24/m95 then a few shots from my pistol will do da trick
spage
Get Claymores, Here!
+7|6770
This was covered ealier, don't remeber the post though, sniping under 100m you want to aim a bit low more at the neck than the head, over 200m you want to aim a bit above the head, anything in between just put the center on their head.

Last edited by spage (2005-10-31 09:46:36)

dshak
+4|6809
perhaps you aimed below the head and got the kill shot because you (as you said yourself) were on a hill? can't forget the effects of elevation. Just a thought.
karmon
+0|6753
Perhaps, i'm just trying to understand it all. It was really wierd.
Nagarond.Damminson
+16|6753
Just realize that the guns are possibly scoped to hit at sight at a certain distance (say 100m?).. and anything short of 100m ( to account for drop of the bullet at 100m mark) you will hit high on. I don't know if EA thought THAT much about it, but logistically it makes sense.
karmon
+0|6753
Yeah I guess that makes sense, but is it acceptable that this is the case with the M95 and not the M24?
fikraag7
j00baroni w/ l33t sauce
+1|6751

I'd say that the M95 definitely acts strange: close-range when I've attempted to shoot the pilot out of a jet or a heli it misses, but when I put the sights on someone's head on the carrier (on Dragon Valley as Chinese) it hits
     The M24 does not do as much weird stuff as the M95 in my experience; it pretty much hits what you aim at. I had like 250 ping on one server and I still was getting kills because the gun was so reliable.
Coolbeano
Level 13.5 BF2S Ninja Penguin Sensei
+378|6760

I was carrying the M95, pointing down at the ground, at around a 30 deg. angle. I ran around the corner, bumped (literally) straight into a guy with a DAO. I shot first (on instinct) and killed him. He'd just spawned too, saw him plop on my UAV right at the spawnpoint.

BOOM CROTCHSHOT!!! >.<

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard