-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5472|Ventura, California
on the firing line, apparently.

You can't use this as an example. A few people don't represent the entire military force just as a few crazies with guns don't represent the rest of the law-abiding Americans that own guns.
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6631|949

you can use it, because it is an example shifty.  This is an example of the military (Ohio National Guard) firing on citizens.  Peaceful citizens.  Sure, maybe the whole military wouldn't roll over US citizens - but there's precedent for it happening on a small scale.  I could only hope you, as a law-abiding gun owner, would be ready to shoot those national guardsmen to stop them from the opression.

See my post above to where I correct you on your erroneous assumption about the legality of purchasing an AR in California.  If you want to be taken seriously, do a little more research.  It will help you argue your positions with a little more clarity, instead of coming across as a youngin' shootin' from the hip.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5357|London, England
tbh, I feel as bad for the Kent State people as I feel for the people that were beaten up at OWS protests. They instigated it as far as they could and then weren't happy when being a troll got them shot or an ass-kicking. It's not right on the part of the NG or the cops, but I can understand being pushed over the edge by a mob of morons.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6689|Tampa Bay Florida
Shifty just got pwned. 
WELCOME TO AMERICA KIDDO

My father was at Kent State when the shootings happened.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6631|949

so you feel bad for people who have extensive training in dealing with high-pressure situations failing to act properly in high-pressure situations?

I don't.  They shot and killed 4 people.  That's fucked up and they get zero sympathy from me.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6715

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

so you feel bad for people who have extensive training in dealing with high-pressure situations failing to act properly in high-pressure situations?

I don't.
national guard aren't police. then again using them to stop a student riot is fucking retarded.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6222|Escea

If shit went topsy turvy assault rifles aren't really much of a deterrent against tanks, gunships, drones etc tbh. The only real way a revolutionary war could be done today is through the kind of tactics you see used in Afghanistan, fighters in civilian garb blowing things up, and like that kind of war the fighters will turn on the supporters of their opponents, even if they are non-combatants. Fighters you see in places like Afghanistan and Iraq will be hardened from previous wars, fit and well-motivated. Their level of training is probably about par to your average milita-type and yet in a straight up fight they're history. The dangerously patriotic types will be severely outnumbered and outgunned.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6689|Tampa Bay Florida
Here's the thing Jay -- its called a massacre because nothing was happening at the time of the shooting.  There was no riot, there was questionably no one shooting at them from the dorm window.  The people shot were walking to class.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

I don't.
National Guard units barely have any training at all, especially regarding crowd control. They're people who show up and play soldier for two days a month, not steely eyed combat veterans with years of experience in super high-pressure situations.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6631|949

Cybargs wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

I don't.
national guard aren't police. then again using them to stop a student riot is fucking retarded.
where did I say they were police?  Comprehension is a bitch.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Spearhead wrote:

Here's the thing Jay -- its called a massacre because nothing was happening at the time of the shooting.  There was no riot, there was questionably no one shooting at them from the dorm window.  The people shot were walking to class.
From what I remember regarding the story, there was a massive anti-war protest on campus that included rioting, the NG formed a line to stop the riot and the students started throwing crap at them and approached them in a threatening manner. Sounds like the exact same situation that led to the Boston Massacre back in the 1700s to me. We vilify the soldiers in both cases, mostly for political purposes, but we can't say they weren't provoked.
-Frederick Bastiat
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6715

M.O.A.B wrote:

Fighters you see in places like Afghanistan and Iraq will be hardened from previous wars, fit and well-motivated.
Most of them are kids getting paid money to shoot at troops. If you're talking about a full blown insurgency by some rednecks, about 80% of insurgencies fail when it's their own government doing the ops. But the insurgencies themselves do bring on some political changes. Top of my head Malaysia got their independence, Bangsamoro muslims in the phillipines now get more rights with everyone else.

Citizens arming themselves to the teeth is a good enough deterrent
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6736|Oxferd Ohire

Jay wrote:

Spearhead wrote:

From what I remember regarding the story, there was a massive anti-war protest on campus that included rioting, the NG formed a line to stop the riot and the students started throwing crap at them and approached them in a threatening manner. Sounds like the exact same situation that led to the Boston Massacre back in the 1700s to me. We vilify the soldiers in both cases, mostly for political purposes, but we can't say they weren't provoked.
Reread the story then.
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

RTHKI wrote:

Jay wrote:

Spearhead wrote:

Reread the story then.
Monday, May 4
On Monday, May 4, a protest was scheduled to be held at noon, as had been planned three days earlier. University officials attempted to ban the gathering, handing out 12,000 leaflets stating that the event was canceled. Despite these efforts an estimated 2,000 people gathered[22] on the university's Commons, near Taylor Hall. The protest began with the ringing of the campus's iron Victory Bell (which had historically been used to signal victories in football games) to mark the beginning of the rally, and the first protester began to speak.

Companies A and C, 1/145th Infantry and Troop G of the 2/107th Armored Cavalry, Ohio Army National Guard (ARNG), the units on the campus grounds, attempted to disperse the students. The legality of the dispersal was later debated at a subsequent wrongful death and injury trial. On appeal, the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit ruled that authorities did indeed have the right to disperse the crowd.
The dispersal process began late in the morning with campus patrolman Harold Rice,[23] riding in a National Guard Jeep, approaching the students to read them an order to disperse or face arrest. The protesters responded by throwing rocks, striking one campus Patrolman and forcing the Jeep to retreat.[7]

Just before noon, the Guard returned and again ordered the crowd to disperse. When most of the crowd refused, the Guard used tear gas. Because of wind, the tear gas had little effect in dispersing the crowd, and some launched a second volley of rocks toward the Guard's line, too distant to have any effect, to chants of "Pigs off campus!" The students lobbed the tear gas canisters back at the National Guardsmen, who wore gas masks.
When it was determined the crowd was not going to disperse, a group of 77 National Guard troops from A Company and Troop G, with bayonets fixed on their M1 Garand rifles, began to advance upon the hundreds of protesters. As the guardsmen advanced, the protesters retreated up and over Blanket Hill, heading out of The Commons area. Once over the hill, the students, in a loose group, moved northeast along the front of Taylor Hall, with some continuing toward a parking lot in front of Prentice Hall (slightly northeast of and perpendicular to Taylor Hall). The guardsmen pursued the protesters over the hill, but rather than veering left as the protesters had, they continued straight, heading down toward an athletic practice field enclosed by a chain link fence. Here they remained for about ten minutes, unsure of how to get out of the area short of retracing their path. During this time, the bulk of the students congregated off to the left and front of the guardsmen, approximately 150 ft (50m) to 225 ft (75m) away, on the veranda of Taylor Hall. Others were scattered between Taylor Hall and the Prentice Hall parking lot, while still others (perhaps 35 or 40) were standing in the parking lot, or dispersing through the lot as they had been previously ordered.

While on the practice field, the guardsmen generally faced the parking lot which was about 100 yards away. At one point, some of the guardsmen knelt and aimed their weapons toward the parking lot, then stood up again. For a few moments, several guardsmen formed a loose huddle and appeared to be talking to one another. The guardsmen seemed to be unsure about what to do next. They had cleared the protesters from the Commons area, and many students had left, but some stayed and were still angrily confronting the soldiers, some throwing rocks and tear gas canisters. About ten minutes later, the guardsmen began to retrace their steps back up the hill toward the Commons area. Some of the students on the Taylor Hall veranda began to move slowly toward the soldiers as the latter passed over the top of the hill and headed back down into the Commons.

At 12:24 pm,[1] according to eyewitnesses, a Sgt. Myron Pryor turned and began firing at the students with his .45 pistol.[24] A number of guardsmen nearest the students also turned and fired their M1 Garand rifles at the students. In all, 29 of the 77 guardsmen claimed to have fired their weapons, using a final total of 67 rounds of ammunition. The shooting was determined to have lasted only 13 seconds, although John Kifner reported in the New York Times that "it appeared to go on, as a solid volley, for perhaps a full minute or a little longer."[25] The question of why the shots were fired remains widely debated.

The Adjutant General of the Ohio National Guard told reporters that a sniper had fired on the guardsmen, which itself remains a debated allegation. Many guardsmen later testified that they were in fear for their lives, which was questioned partly because of the distance between them and the students killed or wounded. Time magazine later concluded that "triggers were not pulled accidentally at Kent State." The President's Commission on Campus Unrest avoided probing the question of why the shootings happened. Instead, it harshly criticized both the protesters and the Guardsmen, but it concluded that "the indiscriminate firing of rifles into a crowd of students and the deaths that followed were unnecessary, unwarranted, and inexcusable."[26]

The shootings killed four students and wounded nine. Two of the four students killed, Allison Krause and Jeffrey Miller, had participated in the protest, and the other two, Sandra Scheuer and William Knox Schroeder, had been walking from one class to the next at the time of their deaths. Schroeder was also a member of the campus ROTC battalion. Of those wounded, none was closer than 71 feet to the guardsmen. Of those killed, the nearest (Miller) was 265 feet away, and their average distance from the guardsmen was 345 feet.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kent_State_shootings

Yep, I remembered correctly. That was the 4th day of protests/riots.
-Frederick Bastiat
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6222|Escea

Cybargs wrote:

M.O.A.B wrote:

Fighters you see in places like Afghanistan and Iraq will be hardened from previous wars, fit and well-motivated.
Most of them are kids getting paid money to shoot at troops. If you're talking about a full blown insurgency by some rednecks, about 80% of insurgencies fail when it's their own government doing the ops. But the insurgencies themselves do bring on some political changes. Top of my head Malaysia got their independence, Bangsamoro muslims in the phillipines now get more rights with everyone else.

Citizens arming themselves to the teeth is a good enough deterrent
I'm talking about the types pulled from around the regions, your Chechens, Balkan-types, fighters from Pakistan and roundabout, the kind drawn into a conflict not because they really want change, but because its a chance to wreak some havoc on those they hate. An American revolutionary war of today would be no different. There will be those who will use it to take an opportunity to attack people besides the government and those people will have access to better arms than some infantry units in other countries.

The vast majority of Americans will have zero interest in igniting a war with the government or fighting it and so will see no need to be armed to the teeth. The ones who are terrified of the government are in the bonkers minority, and their combined arms will be trumped by just a tiny portion of the military's firepower.
rdx-fx
+955|6590

Jay wrote:

National Guard units barely have any training at all regarding crowd control.
FTFY

Plenty of experience in some guard units. 
Mostly from prior active duty service and deployments.
Guard SF units, and LRSD detachments have plenty of (non-police) training.

You should see the phonebook-thick directory of SOCOM training courses at JFKSWC now.
Could spend 5-10 straight years in high-speed schools, if you could get the unit to pay for it.

But, in general, using Artillerymen and Infantrymen as police reserves is asinine.

Hell, with very little exception, the Guard Military Police units are made up of all the criminals, drunks, and low-lifes that couldn't get a clearance for anything else, and couldn't handle life in the infantry.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6736|Oxferd Ohire
It was the fourth day but what reason was there to fire at the time, the nearest person they hit was 70 feet away. 2 of the dead hadn't even protested.
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
They fired in a panic, 67 rounds in all. Stray shootings will happen when people fire in a panic. Blame the protesters for putting their innocent classmates at risk imo.
-Frederick Bastiat
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6496

AussieReaper wrote:

Jay, two of those killed were walking to class.

What threat were they posing that threatened the guards?
they were getting an education.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
There's an echo in here.
-Frederick Bastiat
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6151|what

Agree. And rick said it better.

How is it the Nat Guard armed with rifles and bayonets felt threatened by unarmed civilians? They "panicked" ?

I've no idea how you can blame the students for this.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

AussieReaper wrote:

Agree. And rick said it better.

How is it the Nat Guard armed with rifles and bayonets felt threatened by unarmed civilians? They "panicked" ?

I've no idea how you can blame the students for this.
They're human. They had hundreds of people yelling at them, piss poor leadership, and people throwing rocks at them. Most people would panic under that situation no matter how well armed they are.

It's like that Cal State video you loved posting last year showing the police officer macing the crowd of students. Nevermind that they'd closed him in, walled him off, and blocked his exit, you sided with the students, mostly because you agreed with their politics. He felt threatened, he applied non-lethal force, you screamed bloody murder.
-Frederick Bastiat
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6657|BC, Canada
Yes, now its not even the person holding the gun who is to blame, it's the unarmed people who are being fired upon...
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
No, they share in the blame as well. I'm just saying that trolls can't cry when their trolling provokes a response they don't like.

Last edited by Jay (2013-01-29 12:57:22)

-Frederick Bastiat
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6657|BC, Canada
I'm afraid the families of the dead can though... also when the level of force is unjustifiable,  sure they have a right to.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard