Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5555

I have a pretty old laptop that until recently started to give me problems. I updated the video drivers for my card (a 8800M GTS, yes the laptop is that old) and since then the laptop shuts off completely after running a game for 15 minutes. I did a clean OS install and am still getting shut offs when trying to play. So I am certain the problem is with the card or the drivers. I am hoping my video card isn't on its last legs since I only had problems after the driver update. This only occurs when running the game and not anything this else. I can play HD movie without any issues.

Before the driver update I never had any problems. I no longer have the install disk that came with the laptop so the only way to install the video card is through the nivida package that gave me the drivers that may be causing shut off.

I don't want to have to buy a new laptop since I don't play games that much anymore and since this laptop still does everything else I need to perfectly. So any ideas or am I f-f-fucked?

Karma and infinite love for any help.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6260|Washington St.
you sure it's not heat? You said it wasn't happening before but did the drivers cause it to run faster/hotter?

also, can't you just find some legacy drivers and delete the update in windowsupdate?
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6281

Download one of the legacy drivers instead?

Be sure to select Recommended/Certified instead of All or Beta when you search.

Dammit pirana
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6260|Washington St.

bugz wrote:

Dammit pirana

Team effort?
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6281

lol no worries...I just saw your message when I hit preview before submitting

<3
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6260|Washington St.
My girlfriend thinks im way too fast too, just at other... things.

I'll work on it.

Last edited by pirana6 (2013-01-15 17:03:38)

Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5555

i'm going to try the legacy drivers. i'll report back. Thank you guys.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard