prototype
+52|6281
hey guys/gals, i had a quick question about sharing files over a network, one computer is running xp home and the other is running vista premium, i have files on the xp machine that i want to share with the vista machine, i have enabled  sharing on the xp machine with the files i want to share, my question is how to find the files on the vista machine, how do i "navigate" to the shared files on the xp machine.

thank you for any replies
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6282

Make sure both computers are part of the same workgroup. They should be part of WORKGROUP by default so you may not have to do anything here.

From the Vista machine, open up Windows explorer and type \\xpcomputername\sharedfoldername or alternatively \\xpcomputeripaddress\sharedfoldername into the address bar.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6261|Washington St.
^ will work. Might have to give yourself a static IP for the 2nd one if i remember correctly. Has been a while since ive done it that way.
jsnipy
+3,276|6492|...

you wont need a static ip for this (same subnet). Same work workgroup and for seamless access put  same account name and password on both boxes.
prototype
+52|6281
thanks for answering you guys
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6409|King Of The Islands

If you want to share the other way (from Vista), look at the settings in Advanced Sharing in Network and Sharing Center.

Also UNC addresses (computer names) work in Vista/7/8 Start Search as well as the Run box.
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5758|Catherine Black
What type of files? If it's under 5MB then Dropbox is a very easy alternative to setting up a homegroup, but if you've already set that up just use that I guess.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6261|Washington St.
easier than a restart once you've changed the workgroup of the computer? then just typing \\name\folder into explorer.exe?
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5758|Catherine Black
Yeah actually
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Cheez

Finray wrote:

What type of files? If it's under 5MB then Dropbox is a very easy alternative to setting up a homegroup, but if you've already set that up just use that I guess.
It must be great having unlimited downloads to squander them on frivolous things like this.

How can I get this file to the computer in the next room? I know! I'll use the Internet!
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5556

u jelly?
Cheez

Muchly.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard