Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6717

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Well that's a strawman because I haven't seen anyone here argue for banning rifles. But I do like the idea of making an argument for the other side, then using spurious data to refute it. Its a really good debate tactic.
Isn't congress trying to push for a new AWB? Lots of posters here bitched about how easy it is to get "assault rifles" in the US and nobody needs to have one.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
13rin
+977|6480

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Please tell me how giving AR-15s fixed magazines and not allowing me to put a pistol grip and retractable stock on my mini 14 makes me more responsible. I can't own a pistol yet but anybody over 21 here can buy a 7 round 1911. They can't get a double-stacked 14 round magazine though because obviously only criminals use those.
It's not to make you more responsible - its to slow down a potential murderer.  Using your same retarded logic, please tell me why you need a magazine, pistol grip and retractable stock?  So you can live out your rambo fantasy?

Cybargs wrote:

It just shows how little rifles come into play when you talk about total homicide in the US, so banning them would be kinda retarded.

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Well that's a strawman because I haven't seen anyone here argue for banning rifles. But I do like the idea of making an argument for the other side, then using spurious data to refute it. Its a really good debate tactic.

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

There is too much at stake with me possibly hitting my head and falling down.  I'm now going to wear a helmet outside at all times.
https://www.twowheelingtots.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/bicycle-helmet-proper-usage.jpeg

Last edited by 13rin (2013-01-08 12:58:29)

I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5586

Lifeless pieces of metal people.
13rin
+977|6480
That must be restricted because they become even more deadly with a plastic handle attached.

PS.   I'm soooo over bayonets...
https://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/images/4/2011/11/8771b843ee3f0149ec9927e133022041.jpg
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5179|Sydney

-Whiteroom- wrote:

Clubs and hammers... vs shotguns vs rifles....multiple weapn stat vs songle weapon stat vs single weapon stat.
Rifles and shotguns=679
Clubs an hammers=496
Yeah... don't let simple maths from the article you cite yourself get in the way of a spurious argument...
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6659|BC, Canada

Macbeth wrote:

Point?
13rin
+977|6480

Jaekus wrote:

-Whiteroom- wrote:

Clubs and hammers... vs shotguns vs rifles....multiple weapn stat vs songle weapon stat vs single weapon stat.
Rifles and shotguns=679
Clubs an hammers=496
Yeah... don't let simple maths from the article you cite yourself get in the way of a spurious argument...
Which still doesn't invalidate my point of this entire idiotic crusade of confiscation reinvigorated by exploiting a tragedy through means of mass media disinformation.  Oh, that stat equates to roughly 3 three days worth of knife attacks in England.  Don't let your dumbassery get in the way of your fail logic.
Jaekus
+957|5179|Sydney
Haha. Since you can't add up I can't really take anything you say seriously.

Next time use the calculator on your PC. It's located via the Start Menu (which is that button typically down the bottom left that says START).
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6632|949

Macbeth wrote:

Do you agree with licensing and registration of cars?

A gun is  a piece of metal as much as a buiding is a pile of sand. ~30 people a day die from guns, and close 20 of those kill themselves. This doesn't take into account any injuries, just deaths. Seems to me if over half of gun deaths are self-inflicted, we have a problem.

I agree there is too much attention put on guns. The overwhelming majority of gun owners are responsible. Just like the majority of drivers are responsible. But I still have to obey speed limits, register my car, get a license, insurance, and follow the regulations no matter how stupid, all so I can drive a 'lifeless piece of metal'.

But to try to trivialize the debate by reducing a gun to a 'lifeless piece of metal' is ignorant in my opinion.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6632|949

13rin wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

-Whiteroom- wrote:

Rifles and shotguns=679
Clubs an hammers=496
Which still doesn't invalidate my point of this entire idiotic crusade of confiscation reinvigorated by exploiting a tragedy through means of mass media disinformation.  Oh, that stat equates to roughly 3 three days worth of knife attacks in England.  Don't let your dumbassery get in the way of your fail logic.
You sound paranoid. Crusade of confiscation? Exploiting a tragedy through mass media disinformation? Are you taking atg pills?

No one's coming to take your guns dude. Calm down.
west-phoenix-az
Guns don't kill people. . . joe bidens advice does
+632|6390
many would like to
https://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/west-phoenix-az/BF2S/bf2s_sig_9mmbrass.jpg
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5586

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Do you agree with licensing and registration of cars?

A gun is  a piece of metal as much as a buiding is a pile of sand. ~30 people a day die from guns, and close 20 of those kill themselves. This doesn't take into account any injuries, just deaths. Seems to me if over half of gun deaths are self-inflicted, we have a problem.

I agree there is too much attention put on guns. The overwhelming majority of gun owners are responsible. Just like the majority of drivers are responsible. But I still have to obey speed limits, register my car, get a license, insurance, and follow the regulations no matter how stupid, all so I can drive a 'lifeless piece of metal'.

But to try to trivialize the debate by reducing a gun to a 'lifeless piece of metal' is ignorant in my opinion.
I think you misunderstood my post or have been ignoring my other ones. Probably both since I have spent the entire time of this recent debate cycle taking snipes at gun culture and posting news of shootings and massacres that have happened since. I made the same car/gun comment a few days ago.

My comment about lifeless pieces of metal comes from the Onion article right after the shooting. I agree with the point being made by the article. Guns are nothing more than pieces of metal. I don't like gun culture. I don't understand why people put such a high value on little pieces of steel. I don't get why people have made these things such a big part of their identity. And I don't like the "fuck you I got mine" mindset that the people who make the most impassioned arguments in favor of lax gun control have.

I don't want any new laws but I have some bones to pick with gun culture in this country.

But please don't misunderstand me. The other side of the coin in this debate, the "how many more massacres have to happen before we do something about guns" group are on my shit list too for reasons I don't want to get into for fear of sounding preachy.
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6715|US

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

13rin wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

You sound paranoid. Crusade of confiscation? Exploiting a tragedy through mass media disinformation? Are you taking atg pills?

Here is what one of our US Senator's said a few years ago.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blXkl9YVoHo

The only reason she didn't enact a gun confiscation program was lack of agreement from other lawmakers.
She is also going to release a new "Assault Weapons Ban" proposal that will certainly be called "reasonable restrictions." 
The "slippery slope" argument is actually valid with regards to certain subjects.  While most people aren't that extreme, some of the ones trying to shape the agenda actually are!

Last edited by RAIMIUS (2013-01-08 14:56:36)

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6632|949

that's great there are 99 other voices of reason, right?

without even clicking the link (I'm at work) I imagine its Feinstein being batshit insane as usual.  I've written her letters of disgust at her policies and positions on more than one occasion.
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6715|US
Yup.  It's her 1995 "turn 'em all in" interview segment.
Narupug
Fodder Mostly
+150|5597|Vacationland

RAIMIUS wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

13rin wrote:

Here is what one of our US Senator's said a few years ago.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blXkl9YVoHo

The only reason she didn't enact a gun confiscation program was lack of agreement from other lawmakers.
She is also going to release a new "Assault Weapons Ban" proposal that will certainly be called "reasonable restrictions." 
The "slippery slope" argument is actually valid with regards to certain subjects.  While most people aren't that extreme, some of the ones trying to shape the agenda actually are!
That is more than a few years ago, that is 17 years ago.  You can do that same thing for the other side of the gun control debate and pretty much any debate, there will always be people suggesting the extreme, but that does not mean that the extreme is likely to happen.  As many people on here have pointed out, guns are way too thoroughly ingrained in American society for any law to even come close to a "crusade of confiscation."  You can't even propose preventing the sale of a few guns, not taking them away from those who already have them, and all of a sudden people are suggesting you be tried for treason.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5586

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

I've written her letters of disgust at her policies and positions on more than one occasion.
first semester at ucla?
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6632|949

No I wrote one for a friend's class about her support for flag burning a few years ago.  I've also written her a letter on her stupid position on assault weapons a long time ago.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5586

You think flag burning should be illegal?
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6632|949

no, she supported the amendment to outlaw flag burning.  I called her out on it.  Her response was basically, "I understand your position but fuck you I'll do what I want". 

Anyway, nobody is coming in the night to take your guns.
west-phoenix-az
Guns don't kill people. . . joe bidens advice does
+632|6390
if jesus had a gun he'd be alive today
https://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/west-phoenix-az/BF2S/bf2s_sig_9mmbrass.jpg
Jaekus
+957|5179|Sydney
>5 guns
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

west-phoenix-az wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

>5 guns

coke wrote:

-Whiteroom- wrote:

If Jesus had a gun, he'd still be alive.
He is still alive, he just ascended to heaven...

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

If Jesus had a gun, he'd have been worshiped as a god.

Wait...
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6776|Moscow, Russia

west-phoenix-az wrote:

and why the fuck would we want that?
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
13rin
+977|6480

Jaekus wrote:

Haha. Since you can't add up I can't really take anything you say seriously.

Next time use the calculator on your PC. It's located via the Start Menu (which is that button typically down the bottom left that says START).
That's cool.  I've always laughed at you.  It's not like you've really every said anything worthwhile in these parts.   I saw that error when I posted it, but was too busy to fix it, as I also do other things with my time.  I chuckled at the time as I also figured you couldn't resist.  And I was right, you predictably jumped all over it like a some sort of retarded kangaroo, remaining totally lost as to the topic at hand.  GG.  Here's some more from that report, Jaekaroo:

Data still shows that the amount of people killed by hammers, clubs and other blunt instruments still continues to rise each year.  Ban hammers!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard