Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6749|Toronto | Canada

Its a brand new OS that Microsoft is pushing hard and theyre usually willing to throw money around.  I'm not too concerned, they'll come soon enough.  All of those sound like petty teenage complaints... do people actually need to hear the latest bieber song as their ringtone?

I'm more concerned about the lack of a Mightytext equivalent, official Dropbox app (though skydrive could make up for it), Google Music and BlackBoard apps.  I do want the 920's camera though
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6701|Devon, England
I wouldn't say it's so new nowadays.

It's been out long enough for them to allow developers to do more.

And it's not so much the fact that I can't put that Bieber song on her phone that I oh-so-love, it's about the complete lack of customisation. Also, I remember setting up her contacts was a pain in the ass. She had to use a Live address and the one she used (old MSN one) wouldn't let her hide all her bullshit MSN friends from the contact list. I think she made a new account for the phone (after reformatting it, because you can't change the email once it's set) after using some app that hid emails, but wasn't as convenient as the built-in one.

All in all, it's little things that both Android, iOS and even old, non-smartphones have that make it a failed phone OS, IMO. It just seems like an OS that us petty teens would let the old parents have as they have no idea how to do anything else.

This is based on my experience of using hers and my dad's old one.

Last edited by FFLink (2012-12-29 11:55:38)

Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6749|Toronto | Canada

Its been out for 2 months to the day. Thats not long at all compared to the 5+ years of iOS and Android.  Both of those were terribly crippled when they came out, give W8 a year to mature and we'll see. They already have ~150,000 apps which is impressive for such a short time.
Camm
Feeding the Cats.
+761|4979|Dundee, Scotland.
I'm very tempted by the Note 2...
for a fatty you're a serious intellectual lightweight.
Benzin
+576|6009

Camm wrote:

I'm very tempted by the Note 2...
Don't be one of those people.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6727|Riva, MD
My dad showed me the Note II in the AT&T store, I thought it was a tablet at first, the screen is HUGE.  I don't think it would even fit in the average person's pocket.

I was also considering the HTC One X+; 64GB of internal storage, a 1.7GHz quad core Tegra III processor, 1GB of RAM, a 4.7" screen and it's even got NFC.  All for $200.  If I hadn't gotten the iPhone, that would've been the one I got
Benzin
+576|6009
A guy in a study group I was in had the Note and it was ridiculously large. The resolution isn't really that high, so you're just looking at everything blown up, essentially. If you have poor eye sight, it's the perfect smartphone.
FFLink
There is.

Winston_Churchill wrote:

Its been out for 2 months to the day. Thats not long at all compared to the 5+ years of iOS and Android.  Both of those were terribly crippled when they came out, give W8 a year to mature and we'll see. They already have ~150,000 apps which is impressive for such a short time.
Ok, we're on about completely different Windows Mobile OS' then.

Yeah, sorry, I missed the number "8" in your post

Last edited by FFLink (2012-12-29 14:06:15)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6782|PNW

_j5689_ wrote:

I'm not that much of an audiohead but I wanted really nice headphones that were durable and good quality and these ones fit the bill so far, they just don't quite get as loud as I feel they could be.

After a day of usage, I can already hear the soundstage opening up more though like people on other forums said it would
Just a bit of anecdotal experience behind this: I'm served better by a pair of studio monitor headphones and HDMI audio through my AV receiver than I ever was by a sound card and the same pair of headphones. Consider it next time you upgrade.
So far my ebay unlocked for AT&T  tmobile htc one S is working great on verizon. Had to get a mini SIM. Of course the guy at the AT&T counter acted like it wouldn't work, fumbled with it for like 30 min.. and shaking his head said that i should consider an iphone 5 when he couldn't get the data to work.
shut yo mouth. Kimmm got it fingered out 10 min after leaving the store. Just had to input the APN stuff. Love the phone!

Last edited by Kimmmmmmmmmmmm (2012-12-31 11:00:53)

FFLink
There is.
It got you that excited, huh?
yes
coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6720|England. Stoke

Kimmmmmmmmmmmm wrote:

Kimmm got it fingered
FFLink
There is.
So the spare PC that my girlfriend uses when she's over has recently gone to shit. It was made from all old parts from upgrades over the years, and the PSU went, and now the replacement has started artifacting everywhere, bla bla.

I will be heading in to town tomorrow to try and buy a PSU for her to see if that solves it. If not, I will just buy her new shit. She doesn't play much on it, usually just emulators (up to PS2) and the odd Steam game (Torchlight II).

https://i.imgur.com/WymtD.png

Does all that look good enough? Compared to the current specs:

Random Gigabyte nForce 775 MoBo
Intel Dual Core E4400 (@3.0GHz)
2/3GB DDR2 RAM
HD4670

I'd want similar or greater performance. It seems obvious that it would be better, but I thought I'd double check.

Cheers guys

Also, I've never built an AM3 build before. Would it be better to get the two pairs above, or these two:

https://i.imgur.com/71mUk.png

PSU choice is based on the cheapest "Brand-name" PSU.

Last edited by FFLink (2013-01-01 07:29:45)

Camm
Feeding the Cats.
Dont get that AMD build. Very underpowered.
FFLink
There is.
Yeah, thought it might be compared to the Intel one.

I will have to buy a new Wireless adapter that fits PCI-E, but that won't be much more.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6782|PNW

I like how my new (er, Aug 2011) computer keeps trying to make my CD drive eject when there's an obstruction (in this case, a wire hanging in front of the case). My older PC's just gave up. If I was gone, it would probably kill the motor trying to eject indefinitely.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6727|Riva, MD
Worried my brother's new mobo might be faulty, he bought it to replace the old one that was bluescreening but this one has an ethernet port that sometimes gets stuck on acquiring an IP address forever.

He's about to upgrade to Windows 7 from XP though anyway(finally) so hopefully that'll tell me whether it's defective hardware or a driver problem.  He was already having issues with the sound and having to uninstall/reinstall it twice for XP to finally acknowledge it so I'm assuming it's just XP freaking out about there being a new mobo.

I've never had to replace one before so I'm wondering if a reformat is always required when you replace a motherboard or just when it does retarded things or runs on an unadaptable dinosaur OS like XP
FFLink
There is.
It's always good to reformat, just so you get a guaranteed clean-slate for drivers, etc. (To avoid conflicts).

Windows will still work if you decide not to, though.

Also, Windows XP... It's good, but 7 is miles better. Glad he's finally upgrading.

Last edited by FFLink (2013-01-03 05:01:33)

FFLink
There is.
Ugh, that PSU took the GPU with it.

Artifacting at BIOS and un-readable Windows log-on screen. I assume this is unfixable?

E: Need a GPU up to £40-45

The 6670 seems like my best-bet, but only after some quick research.

Last edited by FFLink (2013-01-03 10:05:24)

Camm
Feeding the Cats.

FFLink wrote:

Artifacting at BIOS and un-readable Windows log-on screen. I assume this is unfixable?

New system time in all honesty. Go AMD APU.
FFLink
There is.

Camm wrote:

FFLink wrote:

New system time in all honesty. Go AMD APU.
It's unnecessary, I believe.

And it's not something that I will benefit from by saving and getting it all in one-go, as I'm only going for the cheapest "Gaming" stuff there is. If the current PC can run a PS2 Emulator with Final Fantasy X at max FPS, I won't need anything more than that.

GPU now, then when I have a spare £100, I'll buy her new barebones.

Last edited by FFLink (2013-01-03 13:11:36)

Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6743|St. Andrews / Oslo

Hello,

So I have a Lenovo Thinkpad Edge. It's worked fine for quite a while, but a couple of months ago it started to falter.

It started off with it turning itself off when playing games (ie Football Manager). I assumed it was an overheating issue, so I checked for dust in the fan (there was none) and replaced the thermal paste last night. After that it wouldn't finish its boot (switched itself off in the same way just before the login screen appeared, or after a while of roaming through the BIOS menus) - ie it got worse after new thermal paste. I left it overnight, and it is now completely unresponsive - power button does absolutely nothing, and, most tellingly perhaps, the light that lights up when it's plugged in no longer lights when it's plugged in.

Sounds like a PSU issue to me? Although it's worrying that it got worse after my thermal paste project... Coincidence?

Dunno, warranty expired, what do.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6743|St. Andrews / Oslo

Managed to turn it on now, actually. Used it casually for a good while, worked fine.

Then I opened football manager and it died. I did see that 'Temp 1' in Speed Fan, which I assume is the GPU, hit 90 just as it shut down - maybe that's the issue? Would 90 be a reasonable GPU temperature for a computer to shut itself down?
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
Camm
Feeding the Cats.
90c in a laptop GPU? That's dangerous for a desktop GPU so I'm gonna go ahead and say yes.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard