Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6681|Tampa Bay Florida
Where did I say anything about his "style"?  I clearly spelled out why I thought it was bad.  If his style is making shitty movies, then never mind. 

Also, only people who have read the books can enjoy the movie?  Oh, okay.  Why the fuck make a movie in the first place then.  Good logic.  There are entire segments of the Hobbit that could have been cut and it wouldn't make the movie worse.... it'd actually be better.  Can't say that for a lot of other movies.

The movies in and of themselves don't bother me..... its the Peter Jackson fanboys.  He could make a movie about Frodo fucking a goat and you'd all still be talking about how people like me "just don't get it".  lol
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6214|Escea

Dilbert_X wrote:

Rare Exports - 8/10

Very strange, but neat little film. A great Christmas film for all the family.

Haud the phone, that's the Juniper Bush guy from Holy Grail
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6183|Roma
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png
KuSTaV
noice
+947|6503|Gold Coast
Flight 6.5/10

fucking hell, that scene at the start is some intense shit. after that, it was somewhat mediocre.
noice                                                                                                        https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/awsmsanta.png
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6144|what

Hobbit

6/10

I saw it at 48fps and in 3d. The 48fps was really distracting and didn't work imo. Just made the film seem like a sped up vhs tape. Really jarring at times.

The movie was good, but there was no characterisation at all. I can't tell you a single thing about the drawves backgrounds and who they are as individuals at all. Compare that to part one from LOTR where you had a completely fleshed out Boromir for example. Hobbit was a letdown.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

It didn't really tell you a whole lot about Legolas or Gimli, but we had three movies to see them characterized.

Spearhead wrote:

Where did I say anything about his "style"?  I clearly spelled out why I thought it was bad.  If his style is making shitty movies, then never mind. 

Also, only people who have read the books can enjoy the movie?  Oh, okay.  Why the fuck make a movie in the first place then.  Good logic.  There are entire segments of the Hobbit that could have been cut and it wouldn't make the movie worse.... it'd actually be better.  Can't say that for a lot of other movies.

The movies in and of themselves don't bother me..... its the Peter Jackson fanboys.  He could make a movie about Frodo fucking a goat and you'd all still be talking about how people like me "just don't get it".  lol
Where did I say that?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

'Hobbit' on $32M Pace, 'Django' Jumps 'Les Miz' in Tight Box-Office Race

"The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" crossed the $200 million mark at the domestic box office and is on its way to a third consecutive weekend win after taking in $10.7 million on Friday.

That puts it on track for a three-day total north of around $32 million and means Peter Jackson's Middle-earth epic has taken in more than $573 million worldwide in 14 days for Warner Bros.

The race for second was tight between "Les Miserables" and the Weinstein Company's "Django Unchained."
Somehow I don't see an end to moving cameras, creative liberty, slow pacing, very long scenes or Peter Jackson anytime soon.

Spearhead wrote:

I didn't say that people who aren't fans of the books can't enjoy the LotR movies...just that they were made keeping the fans in mind. I mean, they have characters speaking elvish ffs. I'm sure if the Return of the King had a bit more time to work with, we'd have seen Saruman's death in the [scouring of the] Shire rather than killing him off early at Isengard.
Reciprocity
+721|6572|the dank(super) side of Oregon
At this point, Jackson is making Tolkien movies for Tolkien fans -because he fucking well can.  It's not about appealing to primarily casual movie goers.  If Jackson want to stretch out his legs in middle earth, get into a bit of the nitty-gritty, and generally lollygag, I'm not gonna complain, but I'm also not a casual movie goer when it comes to tolkien shit.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6708|Riva, MD
Django 7.75/10

I liked a lot of the first half of the movie and I liked Jamie Foxx's character a lot too.  It had also had quite a few funny moments.  Samuel L. Jackson was hilarious

Things I didn't like were the exaggeratedly Tarantino effects in the movie(as with any of his movies), especially during most of the 2nd half of the movie with ridiculous amounts of obviously fake blood.  I also did not like Kerry Washington in the movie either, she just seemed way too artificially cutesy and overdone as the damsel in distress but I guess that was a somewhat more realistic portrayal of women at that time or something

Last edited by _j5689_ (2012-12-30 10:33:20)

rdx-fx
+955|6583

Reciprocity wrote:

At this point, Jackson is making Tolkien movies for Tolkien fans -because he fucking well can.  It's not about appealing to primarily casual movie goers.  If Jackson want to stretch out his legs in middle earth, get into a bit of the nitty-gritty, and generally lollygag, I'm not gonna complain, but I'm also not a casual movie goer when it comes to tolkien shit.
You should see the extended editions for the LotR trilogy on iTunes now.
12 hours for the whole trilogy now.

By the time the Hobbit trilogy and Silmarillion prequel are done, and the extended super director's final cut anniversary editions are done, I'm betting the whole series will have more running time than the original Star Trek TV series.

It's for the fans.
It's to make LotR into a property with a fanbase like Star Wars and Star Trek.
Reciprocity
+721|6572|the dank(super) side of Oregon

rdx-fx wrote:

You should see the extended editions for the LotR trilogy on iTunes now.
12 hours for the whole trilogy now.
I've already got the EE DVDs and now the EE bluray set.

By the time the Hobbit trilogy and Silmarillion prequel are done, and the extended super director's final cut anniversary editions are done, I'm betting the whole series will have more running time than the original Star Trek TV series.
I doubt the Silmarillion will ever by made made into movies.  It's a bit dense and very esoteric.
rdx-fx
+955|6583

Reciprocity wrote:

I doubt the Silmarillion will ever by made made into movies.  It's a bit dense and very esoteric.
Yes, but He'll need a name for the inevitable prequel to The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings trilogies.

Can't do more movies after the end of LotR, so they have to be before.

Besides, he managed to turn a small book like The Hobbit into a trilogy, he can turn the dense, disjointed narrative of The Silmarillion into another trilogy.

I'm not saying I'd like to see it.
I'm saying it's an uncomfortable possibility.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5465|Ventura, California
I really liked Wreck it Ralph. I didn't know what to expect because I hadn't seen the trailer. Was just out with friends who offered to buy me a ticket. I loved the movie!

Taken 2 though was meh but entertaining
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
The Third Man - 9/10 Freakin awesome movie.  Probably one of the best noirs ever made.  It's a shame they don't make movies like this anymore...

Ultrafunkula
Hector: Ding, ding, ding, ding...
+1,975|6465|6 6 4 oh, I forget

Watched some movies with my lovely hangover yesterday.

Dark Knight Rises  8/10
I liked it. Not as good as the Dark Knight, but better than Batman Begins.

Abyss 7/10
Them special effects have grown old since the last time I watched this. Still entertaining.

Drive 7/10
Totally over hyped to me by a couple friends. Was told that this is a masterpiece and whatnot. It had quite the suspense going on from time to time, but something just didn't do it for me. Ok movie.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
Drive is one of those movies where you should avoid the hype but you  unfortunately only hear of it through word of mouth.  I watched it on Netflix without hearing about it first and it was amazing.  But I can see how someone could find it disappointing after being told it was a masterpiece.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6144|what

and a real hero

real human bean
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6183|Roma

Spearhead wrote:

Drive is one of those movies where you should avoid the hype but you  unfortunately only hear of it through word of mouth.  I watched it on Netflix without hearing about it first and it was amazing.  But I can see how someone could find it disappointing after being told it was a masterpiece.
This.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6098|eXtreme to the maX
The Hobbit - 8/10 (2D)

Better than I expected given I didn't go a bundle on LOTR. It was good enough, and well paced for three hours (I finished my choc-top during the traliers and was pretty hungry at the end).
Peter Jackson's filming does give me some annoyances, he's almost the Baz Luhrmann of the fantasy genre - there's too much detail in the scenes and not enough in the characters. Plus the usual cliches - the helicopter fly-bys as they walk along another ridge-line, the "nooo-oooo-oooo" as another character gets the chop, the over-complex orc-dungeon and fly-through.
It was a bit cartoonish and not dark enough - Still thats his style so I dunno.

I didn't see the need to change various aspects of the plot - the troll scene, how Bilbo found the ring and met Gollum were critical parts of the story and I don't see what benefit the changes gave.
The orc-dungeon was supposed to be dark and dank and frightening, not light and airy and full of scaffolidng and amusing mini-orcs flying around on cable cars.
Gollum was great though.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
made the mistake of watching Looper and Source Code back to back

6.5/10 looper  The lead was easy to watch. Love his face. Bruce willis in a movie about the future. I'm there. Spoiler (highlight to read):
Wish there was more romance/contact between the characters. The farm location had the best scenes of the movie. I really wanted the photo to change on Bruce Willis' watch a la Back to the future style but it didn't happen. lol
https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-cx85uWQyTgk/TXf48J0hOGI/AAAAAAAAPWs/ipYXWMW7yo0/s1600/Jake%2BSC%2BGerman%2BTrailer%2Beyes.jpghttps://www.overthinkingit.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Goodwinn.jpg
source code 6/10Spoiler (highlight to read):
Jake Gyllenhaal's puppy dog eyes + Captain goodwin's eyes falling in love. Boom, that's the movie.  This movie haha. You see the same scene like 7+ times. Luckily they sped up a few of the 'revisitations' near the end so you don't have to ffw although i think i could have ffw through some of the movie without losing the story.

Last edited by Kimmmmmmmmmmmm (2013-01-02 06:56:04)

AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6144|what

Kimmmmmmmmmmmm wrote:

Jake Gyllenhaal's puppy dog eyes
https://i.imgur.com/d3gBD.gif
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

Aries_37
arrivederci frog
+368|6567|London
The Hobbit 7/10
Flight 6/10
cl4u53w1t2
Salon-Bolschewist
+269|6465|Kakanien
submarine 7/10

strangers on a train 8/10

half nelson 8,5/10

going to pieces 5,5/10

the lost weekend 9/10

the fly 8/10

the fountain 5,5/10

high noon 8,5/10

to kill a mocking bird 7,5/10

everything you always wanted to know about sex 5/10

toy story 3 6,5/10

cat on a hot tin roof 8/10

the untouchables 7/10

quo vadis 7/10

m - eine stadt sucht einen mörder 9/10
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6708|Riva, MD

Kimmmmmmmmmmmm wrote:

made the mistake of watching Looper and Source Code back to back

6.5/10 looper  The lead was easy to watch. Love his face. Bruce willis in a movie about the future. I'm there. Spoiler (highlight to read):
Wish there was more romance/contact between the characters. The farm location had the best scenes of the movie. I really wanted the photo to change on Bruce Willis' watch a la Back to the future style but it didn't happen. lol

source code 6/10Spoiler (highlight to read):
Jake Gyllenhaal's puppy dog eyes + Captain goodwin's eyes falling in love. Boom, that's the movie.  This movie haha. You see the same scene like 7+ times. Luckily they sped up a few of the 'revisitations' near the end so you don't have to ffw although i think i could have ffw through some of the movie without losing the story.
Source Code was one of the most depressing movies I've ever seen

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard