LittleBitchy
I hope Hell has wi-fi.
+150|5430|Yeah, there :)
The Hobbit 3D.
Absolutely loved it. Got a bit lost a few times because it's long and a lot of things happening, but loved it
Fall seven times. Stand up eight.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

^I watched it again, but not in 2d as I'd hoped. This time I went to see it with family. It still holds up as entertaining as it was before. The creative license isn't really intrusive and the bits from the Silmarillion are charming.

Now I'm trying to decide between James Bond, Les Misérables, Django, or Life of Pi (yes, still haven't gotten to it) to see next. I still think I'll wait for Lincoln.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5556

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Pretty popular movie. Ton of people when I went. There was no one around for that stupid hobbit shit though.
Um, ok? http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=hobbit.htm
I am surprised it was doing that well considering it got none of the mass media coverage of the LOTR trilogy and is a pretty meh. At least according to many movie critics.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

They picked a good spot to end part one, but there's little way for it to feel like a complete movie since the rest of them haven't come out yet. After all, this is like three hours for only getting to chapter six(?), albeit with a lot of extra material, invented and canon. Most of the critics responsible for the bad reviews seemed to complain that it was too long for what it was, so Jay's comment in eechats about ADD's liking it for constant visual stimulation was a bit misplaced.

But the recent Tolkien films have already been under fire for their length, and then criticized whenever they skipped someone's favorite scene in the book, so I'm sure the Hobbit will survive.

I remember struggling to contain my laughter at people trying to get up to leave at the end of the Return of the King, only to have a new scene unfold. Some of them sort of half-stood when the credits started rolling, unsure if it REALLY was the end or just a nasty trick.
Ultrafunkula
Hector: Ding, ding, ding, ding...
+1,975|6444|6 6 4 oh, I forget

I hated watching LOTR in the movies. All that essential stuff missing felt like a scam. Plus that one year plus wait for the damn extended doovde release. Aaagonyyy...
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

It's over ultra...it's over. Sort of. Now we have to wait for the BR3D Lord of the Rings releases to be bundled with the Hobbit trilogy.
Ultrafunkula
Hector: Ding, ding, ding, ding...
+1,975|6444|6 6 4 oh, I forget

And Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales and The History of Middle-earth and The Children of Húrin and The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrún...
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England
Silmarillion was always my favorite book of the bunch
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Ultrafunkula wrote:

And Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales and The History of Middle-earth and The Children of Húrin and The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrún...
Looks like Peter Jackson will be directing films well into the 22nd century.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX

Jay wrote:

It was easily my least favourite, I ground through it and forgot it instantly. As far as I remember the characters were uninteresting and unappealing - I didn't care what they did, or if they lived or died.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6294|Graz, Austria
Life of Pi - 9/10

Very good movie.
That's how you would imagine being ship-wrecked in the Pacific for nearly a year.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6123|what

globefish23 wrote:

Life of Pi - 9/10

Very good movie.
That's how you would imagine being ship-wrecked in the Pacific for nearly a year.
Maybe if you were forced into drinking the sea water.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England

Dilbert_X wrote:

Jay wrote:

It was easily my least favourite, I ground through it and forgot it instantly. As far as I remember the characters were uninteresting and unappealing - I didn't care what they did, or if they lived or died.
It might've helped that the copy I have is beautifully illustrated. Helps to visualize the places.

I always enjoyed reading Norse mythology as a kid so it just built on that.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Could be, I just found it very dry and contrived.
-CARNIFEX-[LOC]
Da Blooze
+111|6624
Children of Hurin would be an awesome, very dark fantasy film....
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/12516/Bitch%20Hunter%20Sig.jpg
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6660|Tampa Bay Florida
Django Unchained - 9/10.  Excellent film.  Funny.  Ultra violent.  What's not to love?  Chris Waltz is my new favorite actor.  Jamie Fox was perfect.  It was good to see Dicaprio play a bad guy for once.  And Samuel L Jackson.... lol.

The Hobbit - 5/10.  My point still stands.  Peter Jackson is just not a good film maker.  The pacing was horrible.  The script was decent enough in some parts but in others it made me want to walk out of the movie.  I understand if some people from New Zealand feel obliged to worship him as a god or whatever but it comes off as kind of pathetic.  He is slightly above Michael Bay in my book.  Knows how to handle large amounts of money and knows how to do special effects.  Besides that he's in way over his head.

I say this as someone who is judging them as films.  Haven't read the books and don't give a fuck what they do or do not "leave out".  THEY.  ARE.  BAD.  MOVIES.

Last edited by Spearhead (2012-12-27 21:35:01)

Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6745|Noizyland

While I appreciate your opinion of Jackson, his films, his skill as a film maker, and fully encourage you to keep tilting at that windmill, please don't say the admittedly overdone hero worship of him in New Zealand is pathetic. Jackson, backed by people like Richard Taylor, Joe Letteri and Jamie Selkirk, is basically responsible for the increasingly important NZ film industry which includes work on -  along with Jackson's own films - Avatar, The Last Samurai, Prometheus, The Avengers, Tintin, The A-Team, X-Men First Class, Tales of Narnia, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, the upcoming Iron Man, Superman and Wolverine films, District 9... to name a few. James Cameron even lives here now, he bought a place over the hill from where my folks live. In a small four million people strong economy like NZ that's huge - not to mention the huge boost the Rings movies did for NZ tourism which is one of our largest industries anyway. None of it would have happened without Jackson. Plus he does a lot of philanthropic work.

Don't assume we like him just because the Rings movies were widely praised.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6123|what

District 9 was an awesome film.

Looking forward to Elysium.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6123|what

The first picture released of Sharlto Copley "Wikus" as the bad guy looks interesting too

https://i.imgur.com/zIOdV.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

^If you can find a theater with the big, cushy electric recliners, you could probably sit through an eight hour movie. Luckily, the AMC around the corner has them. And conveniently, all houses have reserved seating now, which means I'm guaranteed the spot I pick unless someone screws up at the counter or I decide to compromise for a family.

----

Spearhead wrote:

Django Unchained - 9/10.  Excellent film.  Funny.  Ultra violent.  What's not to love?  Chris Waltz is my new favorite actor.  Jamie Fox was perfect.  It was good to see Dicaprio play a bad guy for once.  And Samuel L Jackson.... lol.

The Hobbit - 5/10.  My point still stands.  Peter Jackson is just not a good film maker.  The pacing was horrible.  The script was decent enough in some parts but in others it made me want to walk out of the movie.  I understand if some people from New Zealand feel obliged to worship him as a god or whatever but it comes off as kind of pathetic.  He is slightly above Michael Bay in my book.  Knows how to handle large amounts of money and knows how to do special effects.  Besides that he's in way over his head.

I say this as someone who is judging them as films.  Haven't read the books and don't give a fuck what they do or do not "leave out".  THEY.  ARE.  BAD.  MOVIES.
So...sticking to that logic, if you don't like an artist's style he isn't a good artist? Peter Jackson is an excellent "film maker." They're just lengthily paced with world building some people don't believe is necessary. These movies really were made primarily with the fans of the books in mind, and with the success of LotR behind him, the Hobbit will be even moreso. As one critic on the fence put it, Jackson really did indulge with the Hobbit, but it isn't just for him.

But don't watch #2 or #3 if it bothers you that much.
Brasso
+1,549|6601

silver linings playbook

7/10

pretty good movie. bradley cooper is the man. robert de niro is still great. jennifer lawrence, despite not being all that pretty, is just so sexy. she's got that attitude and sultry voice too. she has a nice body.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6709|Toronto | Canada

Les Misérables

9/10

Such fantastic performances from Russell Crowe and Hugh Jackman, easily the stars of the show. Helena Bonham Carter and Sacha Baron Cohen did some great comic relief throughout the movie. Amanda Seyfried was kinda meh, but they guy who played her boyfriend was quite good.
Look Down, Master of the House, Who am I, and Do You Hear the People Sing were by far the best numbers.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Rare Exports - 8/10

Very strange, but neat little film. A great Christmas film for all the family.

https://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/8/2011/11/1ee2f3b2bed78797de856bb467a5bb7b.jpg

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2012-12-28 22:55:35)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

What the, how come I've never heard of Rare Exports?
Aries_37
arrivederci frog
+368|6545|London
Cloud Atlas 7/10
Lincoln 8/10
Water Lilies 7/10
Juno 9/10

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard