Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6687

BVC wrote:

I was pro-NRA until I read this:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/waikato-times/bu … he-problem

TL;DR:- The NRA trots out the old "video games & movies are the REAL problem" chestnut.
gangster rap made me do it

https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Keeping the most dangerous guns out of the hands of nutcases would be the long term solution.
But how? You can be just as dead from a small round as a large. Large magazines can be smuggled or more guns can be carried.

Dilbert_X wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

OK, you figure it out.
The burden of proof was yours.
You're disputing that letting nutcases have guns is the problem?

Nutcases aren't going away, guns aren't going away, whats your solution?
If I had a surefire solution, there'd be a Nobel Peace Prize hanging from my wall. Neither guns nor nutcases are going to completely go away anytime soon, so you can spend resources on one or both things: gun control or early detection and treatment for mental health. You just have to figure out which laws you can realistically enforce once implemented without becoming draconian.

"Keeping the guns out of the hands of nutcases would be the long term solution?" Still, I ask, "how?"

Cybargs wrote:

Actually a bayonet would be really useful for boar hunting and other wild pigs.
Not without a crossbar.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

Jay wrote:

A blogger upset with a New York newspaper’s decision to publish an interactive map of local gun permit holders has returned the favor by posting the names and addresses of nearly every employee at the publication.
Blogger Christopher Fountain on For What It’s Worth published names, home address and email contact information for Journal News editor Cyndee Royle, publisher Janet Hasson and reporter Dwight Worley, who wrote an article on Sunday to accompany the map that led to widespread criticism aimed at the Lower Hudson Valley newspaper.
"Miss Royle’s married name is Lambert,” Fountain wrote. “She lives in White Plains and here is her Facebook page complete with pictures of her and her kids. Hello Sanctimony.”
Fountain also displayed contact information for Robert Rodriguez, the “visual editor” responsible for the map itself, as well as many other employees.
Fountain, who did not immediately return a call seeking comment, told CNN he was offended by the newspaper’s “conflating legal gun owners with some crazed tormented devil up in Newtown” and wondered how its employees would handle the same treatment.
Fountain said he has since received emails from “abused women” who were under protective order.
“They’re terribly afraid that now their names and addresses are all over the Internet and accessible through that map,” he told CNN.
The Journal News, meanwhile, has defended publication of the database, which was legally obtained from the County Clerks’ Offices through a Freedom of Information Act request made after the shootings in Newtown, Conn., that left 20 children and eight adults dead.
“New York residents have the right to own guns with a permit and they also have a right to access public information,” Hasson, president and publisher of The Journal News Media Group, was quoted as saying in a subsequent story in the newspaper.
Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/12/27/bl … z2GJi92rWT

Childish, and taking it a step further, don't you think?  Two wrongs don't make it right - that's something you learn in kindergarten.  And guys, I know it's a taste of their own medicine but you can't really justify chastising the news site for publishing locations of gun owners and then laugh and celebrate a blogger going a step further and publishing names, addresses, contact information.  Well you can, it just makes you hypocritical.
west-phoenix-az
Guns don't kill people. . . joe bidens advice does
+632|6360
Sometimes two wrongs do make a right.
https://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/west-phoenix-az/BF2S/bf2s_sig_9mmbrass.jpg
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

people acting like little kids is so pathetic.
west-phoenix-az
Guns don't kill people. . . joe bidens advice does
+632|6360
people are stupid
https://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/west-phoenix-az/BF2S/bf2s_sig_9mmbrass.jpg
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England

Jay wrote:

Of course it is, but it's an attempt to shame people or give anti-gun nuts the opportunity to lecture them. What it really was, was a supreme form of assholeishness on the part of the newspaper editors. Someone should publish their addresses, phone numbers, email addresses and social security numbers and see how they like having their own privacy ripped to shreds just because.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5556

Leading causes of violent deaths among Americans according to Washington post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/files/2012/12/causes-of-violent-death.jpg
See gun violence only is a danger to people over 15. Sandy Hook is just an anomaly
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
What a shitty infographic.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
rdx-fx
+955|6562

Jay wrote:

Each? I'll just fabricate them myself if they're that high.
Feed lip curvature should be slightly smaller diameter than the base of the cartridge,
design the spring rate to feed a full magazine at 1/2 the cycle time of the weapon,
vibratory edge finishing is critical for proper feeding,
don't forget heat treating

If you're going injection molded polymer, remember to spec materials for petroleum solvent resistance, UV resistance filler, heat resistance, and vibration/impact.

AMCP 706-### series are classics in weapon systems designs.
DTIC.mil has them publicly available as downloadable PDFs (I think).

Actually, there are many good systems design books in the old 1960's and 1970's AMCP Engineering Design Handbook series, other than the obvious firearms design books.

Anyone with a CNC mill, 3/4ths of a mechanical engineering degree, and 1/2 a brain can build a firearm.

But, y'know, if getting fondled by the TSA and outlawing evil high-cap magazines makes the population feel better...
rdx-fx
+955|6562
I'd love to see a statistic on the correlation between mental health and mass murder.

I'm fairly certain you'll find that 100% of mass murders are mentally ill.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6687

rdx-fx wrote:

I'd love to see a statistic on the correlation between mental health and mass murder.

I'm fairly certain you'll find that 100% of mass murders are mentally ill.
but video games and violent movies
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

by that logic, isn't every single person that commits murder mentally ill - as in, it's not normal to kill someone else?  I don't necessarily disagree with you.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

rdx-fx wrote:

Jay wrote:

Each? I'll just fabricate them myself if they're that high.
Feed lip curvature should be slightly smaller diameter than the base of the cartridge,
design the spring rate to feed a full magazine at 1/2 the cycle time of the weapon,
vibratory edge finishing is critical for proper feeding,
don't forget heat treating

If you're going injection molded polymer, remember to spec materials for petroleum solvent resistance, UV resistance filler, heat resistance, and vibration/impact.

AMCP 706-### series are classics in weapon systems designs.
DTIC.mil has them publicly available as downloadable PDFs (I think).

Actually, there are many good systems design books in the old 1960's and 1970's AMCP Engineering Design Handbook series, other than the obvious firearms design books.

Anyone with a CNC mill, 3/4ths of a mechanical engineering degree, and 1/2 a brain can build a firearm.

But, y'know, if getting fondled by the TSA and outlawing evil high-cap magazines makes the population feel better...
Ya, but I don't have a rolling machine so the grooves in the magazine will be difficult to replicate. A straight 20 round magazine would be much easier to fabricate, but it would also be much easier to just make friends with someone who has access to an arms room and can chalk up any missing mags to field loss
-Frederick Bastiat
rdx-fx
+955|6562

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

by that logic, isn't every single person that commits murder mentally ill - as in, it's not normal to kill someone else?
I wanted to make a clear point.

If I'd just said "murderers are mentally ill", someone here would've quibbled on it somehow.

Then it would've devolved into a red state/blue state pissing contest,
Israel and Palestine would've been mixed in (with a nod to someone's Lizabeth Salander/Lady Gaga cherry Jello nude cage match fantasy),
our Soviet representative would've opined with his distinct brand of "In Soviet Russia" Pravda logic,
our mentally ill representative(s) would've forgone their lithium to write a scathing rebuttal,
and a pile of Europeans would've made witty remarks about Bubba Redneck and his trusty Assault Rifle.

I'm just glad "clown boy" didn't go full Quentin Tarantino on that movie theater.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Is being antisocial a mental illness rdx?
-Frederick Bastiat
rdx-fx
+955|6562

Jay wrote:

Ya, but I don't have a rolling machine so the grooves in the magazine will be difficult to replicate. A straight 20 round magazine would be much easier to fabricate, but it would also be much easier to just make friends with someone who has access to an arms room and can chalk up any missing mags to field loss
Softened metal plate, stamp press grooves and feed lips

Hell, the process for making a 20rd steel magazine is about the same as making an AK receiver.
rdx-fx
+955|6562

Jay wrote:

No, Jay, you should be fine.

There are others here that might be prone to violent outbursts without psychiatric supervision and regular medication though.
Karbin
+42|6265
Watch... the next step in getting "assault rifles" out of civilian hands will be to "shame" the owners.
Just like was done with drunk drivers and smokers.
Takes time but the end result is the same, drops the number of "users" to a smaller number that can be disregarded as a protest group.
The First step has started..... "Who needs an assault rifle for hunting?"
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

rdx-fx wrote:

Jay wrote:

No, Jay, you should be fine.

There are others here that might be prone to violent outbursts without psychiatric supervision and regular medication though.
Well, I disagree with you. It doesn't require mental illness to kill people or commit crime. By that logic, every person who has ever fought in the military is mentally ill. It's not mental illness that drives these people to commit mass murder, it's just extreme antisocial behavior. People who commit these crimes can be completely rational human beings, fully aware of the actions they are causing, they are just xenophobic. Some people are tied to society and societies rules by a very thin thread, and when it snaps, they stop caring. If you want to stop these crimes, it's not about guns, or increasing money for mental illness, or violent video games and movies, it's about creating a society that is inclusive, one people want to belong to instead of being forced into it by the happy accident of birth. Figure out a way to do that without all the hippie idealism, and without squashing creativity as an unpleasant side effect, and you'll find the problem vanish.

Is it any wonder that places like Canada don't have our issues? It's obviously not universal, but people from that country seem to actually be proud of where they are from, not in some nationalistic rah rah we are the best kind of way, but because they feel their society works, and they like the people they interact with on a daily basis. By contrast, we have a government we hate, and neighbors we don't trust, and constant fear mongering on the part of our media. To quote Yoda "Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering." Wise words from a little green man.
-Frederick Bastiat
Frank Reynolds
+65|4299
jesus fucking christ jay i think more people live in california alone then live in all of Canada so more people packed into congested areas of all different cultures will usually cause issues.  plus i am willing to bet that there are way more white people versus minorities (except for toronto).  and if you deny that is a factor then you are just kidding yourself.  that being said we have too many guns in this country.  want to defend your family from a robber?  dont need a fucking arsenal and hundreds of rounds.  the mother of this newtown kid was going to send him to a special school yet still kept guns in the house.  idiot.  stupid people will always ruin it for everyone else.

however the real secret to canada....hockey.  yep.  hockey.  not gay ass nfl or nba.
What are you looking at dicknose
rdx-fx
+955|6562

Jay wrote:

It's not mental illness that drives these people to commit mass murder, it's just extreme antisocial behavior.
No.

Just no.

If you ever think mass murder is the answer, you're fucking nuts. 
Endof, full stop.
Go see your psychiatrist, go get your HappyPill™ prescription filled, and stay the fuck away from humanity
(cause you just stopped being a member of humanity, the moment mass murder became a real possibility in your head).

If you're extremely antisocial, go live in a cabin in the middle of nowhere.
If you hate the world, go commit suicide - no reason to kill anyone else, or make a statement to a world you detest anyways.

Frank Reynolds wrote:

however the real secret to canada....hockey.  yep.  hockey.  not gay ass nfl or nba.
And beer, Tim Hortons, wide open spaces, beautiful scenery, polite people.

Alaska also has the wide open spaces, beautiful scenery, and remote locations.
Great place to get away from the "bullshit & busy" of modern urban life for a while.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

rdx-fx wrote:

Jay wrote:

It's not mental illness that drives these people to commit mass murder, it's just extreme antisocial behavior.
No.

Just no.

If you ever think mass murder is the answer, you're fucking nuts. 
Endof, full stop.
Go see your psychiatrist, go get your HappyPill™ prescription filled, and stay the fuck away from humanity
(cause you just stopped being a member of humanity, the moment mass murder became a real possibility in your head).

If you're extremely antisocial, go live in a cabin in the middle of nowhere.
If you hate the world, go commit suicide - no reason to kill anyone else, or make a statement to a world you detest anyways.
I'm not justifying their actions by any means, but your premise is flawed. Whether someone goes and lives in a cabin, or commits suicide, or goes on a murderous rampage, they're all antisocial acts. One just impacts far more people. Each of those acts is based on hate, hate of others, or hate of self. Ask yourself this: why is killing of humans ok in some instances, even idealized, while in other cases it's an abhorrent tragedy? It's a completely arbitrary line generated by society. We're all born with the instinct to kill, to survive, to live, the vast majority of us successfully suppress our nature in order to conform to society or because they fear the consequences, others join the military or hunt in the woods or fish and no one bats an eyelash. They're all taking life, but it's condoned. You can't blame mental illness when people don't conform to our artificial societal structure. It just doesn't work or fit. There really isn't a whole lot of difference between killing one person or killing one hundred once you're willing to cross that line. Yes, it's a tragedy, but it's not mental illness, not necessarily. Now, the woman who stood muttering on a train platform for an hour before she pushed a man in front of a train the other day, she's probably mentally ill, or just a sadist.

Last edited by Jay (2012-12-28 14:00:05)

-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
According to Fox News some people are born evil and there's nothing that can be done about it, except for the non-evil people to buy more guns.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

according to you, Lady Gaga is a great musical act.  It's best if we just don't listen to the crazies.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard