GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6416|Finland

SoC design on FPGA, ASIC design, Analog RF electronics, RF IC, C++, microcontrollers, general software stuff (operating systems, real time)... R&D/Sysadmin work...

Oh yeah we are doing some tech now. Hardly any time for my own PC

Last edited by GC_PaNzerFIN (2012-12-16 19:51:02)

3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
Brasso
+1,549|6632

panzerfin!
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6499

Panzer, if your PC goes down, i'll bet half of Finland gets their power back
Camm
Feeding the Cats.
+761|4970|Dundee, Scotland.

13urnzz wrote:

Panzer, if your PC goes down, i'll bet half of Finland gets their power back
Hahaha. I'm sure there's a joke somewhere in there about you and alcohol :p
for a fatty you're a serious intellectual lightweight.
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6416|Finland

Seems like Corsair still has problems with coil whine even with AX1200i. My AX750 squeals all the time if load changes and I am now 100% fed up with it. This is now 2nd AX750 I have to RMA.

My friend has completely silent (no coil whine, no fan noise, no anything) Super Flower Platinum 1kW and it has got amazing reviews too. And best part: no users complaining about coil whine. That is what I will get next too, SF Platinum 1kW.

I am starting to question the quality of Corsair's stuff (all but the highest end Dominator RAM series). They don't give a shit about these issues they just keep looping the RMA's until people don't care anymore.

Selling the AX750 and maybe the H100i too when I get replacements from RMA. For the Vengeance RAM's I will give second chance although 2 out of 4 sticks died so far.

List of banned manufacturer's I avoid is expanding to: Seasonic, Enermax, Corsair, MSI, Antec, Bequiet! + quite a few minor brands.

Last edited by GC_PaNzerFIN (2012-12-18 17:46:55)

3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6499

i have 2 corsair cases. they are both on their 2nd build. then again, there's no moving parts.

it seems when a company, especially a tech company, gets out of what they do well and expand their line to include things just to label their name, they go to shit.

i like/trust/will pay for PC Power and Cooling PSU's.

http://www.pcpower.com/products/

they build their units on one rail, voltages are flawless, hell i run a minecraft server in a box with a PC PC psu that's 9 years old.

the only prob;em with them, is they're so quiet i can hear the wife telling me to stop playing minecraft and come to bed . . .
Brasso
+1,549|6632

I'm having a twofold problem. As of the past few months, our internet has been slow for certain users and fine for others. (We have been having general connectivity issues as well, but those are only relevant to Comcast technicians) In general, wired connections to the router are fine. But wireless connectivity is dreadfully slow - even only 15 feet away from the router. However, the signal has to pass through two walls worth of material (some of it stone) to reach the laptops. I attributed it to the old router dying out, and bought a brand-new D-Link DIR-655. The three external antennas on the router are placed to allow for optimal omnidirectional signal. Now we get full signal on our laptops in the old "dead" zone, but connectivity is still slow.
Meanwhile, when I set up the new router, I fiddled around with QoS. The intent was to prioritize my gaming traffic (League of Legends, specifically) so that when things were being torrented full-throttle on another wired computer, I would not lag out. It didn't seem to help.
Fast forward to today, when someone confronted me about my seemingly greedy permission settings. A roommate claimed that I was keeping all the bandwidth for myself, because my computer's IP address had priority 1 on the QoS table. As this was not the case, I attempted to explain my understanding of QoS: as far as I'm aware, QoS doesn't go into effect unless all the available bandwidth is being used. When the max bandwidth threshold is reached (ours is rated at 25 Mbps), then QoS goes into effect. It will prioritize the lowest number on the table (1, then 2, and so on) and then move on to other clients, making sure that the lowest numbered client's packets get sent out first. If, for example, the users are using 15 out of 25 Mbps of the available bandwidth, then QoS does not go into effect.
I have two questions, the first of which is the most important:
-Is this understanding right? My roommate has taken to trying to make me out to be the scumbag. If my understanding is right, please help me explain it in a different way so I can solve some of the tension between us. If it's wrong, please help me understand.
-How can I increase wireless speeds? I know there's a bunch of interference (in the form of a wall) between the router and the aforementioned room, but signal strength is excellent...why are speeds slow? The router is set to mixed mode 802.11g/n (for old devices, including a Nintendo DS Lite), Auto channel selection, and WEP security (for old devices again).
Many, many thanks in advance.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5966|London, England

omg bf2s broke tab
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6314

Remember, traffic only receives preferential treatment when the set bandwidth limit is saturated.
Sauce

If you have a WAN bandwidth option on your router under the QoS section, make sure it matches your connection speed. Untangle is it's own router OS, but it has some helpful items in the FAQ that should be similar on your router.

802.11g is rated at 54Mbps with usable throughput of 22Mbps. If a wireless G and N device are connected at the same time, the connection will only be as fast as the slowest connection (the G client). In this situation, you would have roughly 22Mbps to share between wireless devices. This could explain some of the slowness, but I'm sure the stone wall plays a big factor as well.

You could try putting a wireless access point (connected via network cable to the router) in a more central room to boost the signal strength. Again it will only work as fast as the slowest device connected to the network.

Also, check the access logs to the wireless network on your router to make sure no one else is using your connection. WEP is easily crackable so depending on how densely populated your neighbourhood is with tech-savvy individuals, someone could be piggybacking on your wireless.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6292|Washington St.
Anybody use Windows Deployment Services?

I won't get into a long-winded problem if it's going to fall on deaf ears but to preface, I've now built a 2008 server and a 2012 server and both have given me the same error when trying to use it (specifically, start the service). Dunno wtf I'm doing wrong. Been researching for a couple days and the same issues I've been having are rare and not much help.
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6314

Could you post the error?
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6292|Washington St.
I will when I get back to work tomorrow. Thanks in advance.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6718|Riva, MD
Got the Beyerdynamic DT 880s in 600 ohms for Christmas along with a Sound Blaster Z.  Turns out the 600 ohm amp in the Sound Blaster is only enough to drive them at about normal volume, I was hoping I wouldn't have to buy an external headphone amp but it looks like I might not have a choice if I want to listen to these at a higher volume, some of my songs are just too quiet now.  They're great for gaming already but music doesn't quite get loud enough, hopefully after a few days of burning them in, they'll get at least a little bit louder and the muddiness in the bass will go away.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6292|Washington St.

bugz wrote:

Could you post the error?
Got it figured out. Twas a firewall issue. Tried opening a few ports but didn't know which ones and couldn't be assed to keep going back and opening/closing certain ones so I said fuck it and opened them all. Works like a charm.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

_j5689_ wrote:

Got the Beyerdynamic DT 880s in 600 ohms for Christmas along with a Sound Blaster Z.  Turns out the 600 ohm amp in the Sound Blaster is only enough to drive them at about normal volume, I was hoping I wouldn't have to buy an external headphone amp but it looks like I might not have a choice if I want to listen to these at a higher volume, some of my songs are just too quiet now.  They're great for gaming already but music doesn't quite get loud enough, hopefully after a few days of burning them in, they'll get at least a little bit louder and the muddiness in the bass will go away.
If you're that much of an audiohead, you should already have an external amp. But I got the DT 770's and don't need to use mine for most purposes...
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6718|Riva, MD
I'm not that much of an audiohead but I wanted really nice headphones that were durable and good quality and these ones fit the bill so far, they just don't quite get as loud as I feel they could be.

After a day of usage, I can already hear the soundstage opening up more though like people on other forums said it would
KuSTaV
noice
+947|6513|Gold Coast
has anyone had problems with the mx518 and windows 7 64 bit? It stops working at its own will and will only start working again after a restart.
noice                                                                                                        https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/awsmsanta.png
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6718|Riva, MD
Those two things shouldn't normally be related unless for some reason you're using a PS/2 converter in which case it would probably behave exactly like that if the plug got loose.

It might just be getting old

Last edited by _j5689_ (2012-12-27 21:36:48)

pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6292|Washington St.
i had many problems with my mx518 and win 7 but found it was indeed a usb to ps/2 converter and when i plugged directly into usb (not sure why i didn't originally) it worked like a charm
Narupug
Fodder Mostly
+150|5598|Vacationland
So I did some searching, but I haven't found anyone really weighing in on this subject lately, but,

One of the top Android phones (GSIII, Optimus G, etc.) or iPhone 5?

Last edited by Narupug (2012-12-28 18:50:04)

-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6660|BC, Canada
I like my SIII a lot. The only issue I have found is that the backplate gets surface cracks around the top corners of where the battery is and by the holes for flash, speaker, and lens. It seems cosmetic though, and a case is arriving tomorrow for it.
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6150|'straya
I got a Galaxy S3 4G recently and I'm really happy with it. I'm not into the whole apple vs android fanboyism, but I'd never owned an iphone or android phone before and ended up going for the galaxy. In the end after using both I was definitely swayed by the screen size/quality and speed of the phone/network. Also the microSD slot as I would've had to pay $20 a month more to get the iphone 5 in the size I wanted since you can't use an SD card and being able to customise more and not have to use itunes was a plus.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6718|Riva, MD
I went for the iPhone 5 and I don't regret it as my first smartphone.  My dad just got it for me last night after he returned the Nokia 920 he got me first.

The iPhone 5 is fast and has a good set of features and good call quality(like all the other iPhones from 4 onward, pre-4s have AWFUL quality).  I probably wouldn't have gotten one before the 5 but the addition of 4G LTE, 5GHz Wireless N, and the finally upgraded screen sold me on it and I was already really familiar with iPhones from having an iPod Touch for the last four years.  I don't need to be bleeding edge and Android honestly confuses me, I just needed something that works and works well and now that the iPhone is significantly more modernized compared to other Android hardware, I'm much more comfortable with it

Overall I recommend it if you want something simple and don't mind using iTunes
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6740|Toronto | Canada

Depends what you're looking for.  The latest and greatest would bring you to the S3 or Nexus 4 (which has the advantage of carrier-independent updates).  You could choose the iPhone 5 for simplicity.  There's also Win8 phones, where the 8X and 920 are both pretty great with a fresh, unique OS (current lack of 3rd party apps but they will come soon enough)
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6693|Devon, England
I think it's worth emphasising on the lack of 3rd party apps (for the Windows phones).

They're the kind of things that make smartphones. My girlfriend has a Lumia(?) and it's just horrible trying to do anything beyond basic levels. The first few things that come to mind are custom text sounds, alarm sounds and the inability to "hide" videos.

Last edited by FFLink (2012-12-29 02:13:19)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard