west-phoenix-az
Guns don't kill people. . . joe bidens advice does
+632|6391
naw, i think its just what that carrier does
https://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/west-phoenix-az/BF2S/bf2s_sig_9mmbrass.jpg
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6669

Windows 8.  All the haters are morons.

Just installed it a couple days ago.  Clean install.  Never ever used it before hand.  In a matter of minutes I'm using it like it's been second nature.  It's fucking easy and fluid.  This is from someone who has been using computers since IBM DOS, set in stone to command line, Windows 3.1, XP, NT, and 7.   Windows 8 is easy demo tutor mode compared to all prior Windows version.

Hell, I'm gonna go out this weekend and buy a half dozen more copies, starting with updating my father's Laptop.  He's gonna love working with tiles.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6499

how well do current apps and peripherals work?
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6669

Haven't installed much yet.  ESET and MalwareBytes working as usual.  No issues connecting to my Canon Laser Printer. 

What's crazy is that I didn't need to install any drivers of any sort.  All the usual components on my XPS15 just worked.  I did go afterward and get W8 versions from DELL just to be sure.  I can't seem to find that CPU speedboost app though.

Office 2013 or 2010 this weekend.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6292|Washington St.
I installed it a while back on a 2ndary computer just to tool around with it. Didn't understand what all the people who were up in arms about it. It's different obv but not in a bad way.

Curious to see what it's like when you install BF3 or something (games) like that.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6499

where's the start button?

https://i.imgur.com/Nxn2X.jpg
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6719|Riva, MD

13urnzz wrote:

Everything works just as well with 8 as it did with 7.  Some hardware doesn't have Windows 8 specific drivers but you can just as well use Vista or 7 drivers to do the job and it works fine.

Being a newer OS, it comes pre-packaged with current drivers for current hardware and newer drivers for older hardware from the getgo, and I noticed it also automatically installed my mom's networked Brother printer without me asking it to

pirana6 wrote:

Curious to see what it's like when you install BF3 or something (games) like that.
BF3 ran great (or at least as well as it could've for my rig), I'm afraid to see how much of a performance drop it's gonna give me now that I'm back on 7 since the trial expired so I'm not even gonna bother

Last edited by _j5689_ (2012-11-29 18:49:54)

Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6441|King Of The Islands

_j5689_ wrote:

trial expired
Keep in mind RC still had a bit to go before it was polished. RTM should run it even better.

In my case when I exit BF3 it doesn't feel like my computer is trying to crawl through its own arse loading everything back into RAM.

I'm sure the SSD is helping too though
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.

Cheez wrote:

In my case when I exit BF3 it doesn't feel like my computer is trying to crawl through its own arse loading everything back into RAM.
win 7 here - I always turn off my Spyder color profile stuff, ad-aware, and make sure windows Basic theme is set pregame

My pc has a big struggle to recover post game as well. Restarting it always works but who wants to do that?

Last edited by Kimmmmmmmmmmmm (2012-11-30 07:31:38)

Camm
Feeding the Cats.
+761|4970|Dundee, Scotland.
for a fatty you're a serious intellectual lightweight.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6634|949

That's a joke, right?
Camm
Feeding the Cats.
+761|4970|Dundee, Scotland.

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

That's a joke, right?
One of these listings that was put up many years ago I guess.
for a fatty you're a serious intellectual lightweight.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6719|Riva, MD

Cheez wrote:

_j5689_ wrote:

trial expired
Keep in mind RC still had a bit to go before it was polished. RTM should run it even better.

I'm sure the SSD is helping too though
Yeah, I had the Enterprise RTM trial on my main computer since August.  The Release Preview is still on my Thinkpad tablet/laptop
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6669

_j5689_ wrote:

13urnzz wrote:

Everything works just as well with 8 as it did with 7.  Some hardware doesn't have Windows 8 specific drivers but you can just as well use Vista or 7 drivers to do the job and it works fine.

Being a newer OS, it comes pre-packaged with current drivers for current hardware and newer drivers for older hardware from the getgo, and I noticed it also automatically installed my mom's networked Brother printer without me asking it to

pirana6 wrote:

BF3 ran great (or at least as well as it could've for my rig), I'm afraid to see how much of a performance drop it's gonna give me now that I'm back on 7 since the trial expired so I'm not even gonna bother
If you want to try and get W8 for $15:
http://slickdeals.net/f/5386070-Windows … ndows-7-pc
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6719|Riva, MD
"11/1/2012
The deal now requires a windows 7 product key to validate."

"Please note: we can only validate your registration when you submit a qualifying Windows 7 product key."

It looks like some other keys are already being invalidated as well according to some people in that thread.  Doesn't look like it's really still worth the effort to save $25.  Somebody else linked me to a similar thread but I figured they would be looking into shit like this and banning keys so I didn't bother with it
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6777|Moscow, Russia

_j5689_ wrote:

13urnzz wrote:

Everything works just as well with 8 as it did with 7.
not true. quite a bit of the software we use at work doesn't even start.

Some hardware doesn't have Windows 8 specific drivers but you can just as well use Vista or 7 drivers to do the job and it works fine.
not true as well. there are no working drivers for some hardware atm.

windows 8 is total crap. it has some advantages to it -  mainly the fact that it's been compiled for non-x86 cpu's, it's also goes easier on system resources than 7, but all in all, unless for some reason you have to use it, might as well keep 7. oh, and "aww! kewl uza interface!" argument is, as always, laughable - if you can't manage your work without those tiles, bells and whistles stuffs you shouldn't be using a computer at all.
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
Cheez

_j5689_ wrote:

"11/1/2012
The deal now requires a windows 7 product key to validate."

"Please note: we can only validate your registration when you submit a qualifying Windows 7 product key."

It looks like some other keys are already being invalidated as well according to some people in that thread.  Doesn't look like it's really still worth the effort to save $25.  Somebody else linked me to a similar thread but I figured they would be looking into shit like this and banning keys so I didn't bother with it
lol took them long enough.
Cheez

Kimmmmmmmmmmmm wrote:

Cheez wrote:

win 7 here - I always turn off my Spyder color profile stuff, ad-aware, and make sure windows Basic theme is set pregame

My pc has a big struggle to recover post game as well. Restarting it always works but who wants to do that?
I just MSConfig the fuck out of everything (finally integrated into Task Manager in Win8) and save myself the trouble of turning shit off later.

If you're really brave you can rip through shit with Autoruns.

Hooray for being able to use my computer's resources.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6719|Riva, MD

Shahter wrote:

_j5689_ wrote:

13urnzz wrote:

Everything works just as well with 8 as it did with 7.
not true. quite a bit of the software we use at work doesn't even start.
Apps and games that the average person would use work, I haven't tried Windows 8 in any kind of business environment so I couldn't speak on compatibility for those kinds of programs.  It's pretty much no different from 7 in what it can run from my experience unless a program is specifically made to be picky about which OS it is installed to so you have to pay more to upgrade to a compatible version

Some hardware doesn't have Windows 8 specific drivers but you can just as well use Vista or 7 drivers to do the job and it works fine.
not true as well. there are no working drivers for some hardware atm.

windows 8 is total crap. it has some advantages to it -  mainly the fact that it's been compiled for non-x86 cpu's, it's also goes easier on system resources than 7, but all in all, unless for some reason you have to use it, might as well keep 7. oh, and "aww! kewl uza interface!" argument is, as always, laughable - if you can't manage your work without those tiles, bells and whistles stuffs you shouldn't be using a computer at all.
Of course there's always going to be outliers like ancient hardware(this affects a lot of early XP computers), poorly supported third-party hardware and OS-specific(picky) OEM-supplied drivers but almost anything that ran Vista or 7 should be able to run 8

It might not be the best for everybody, such as business users and stubborn people who can't get used to a new UI but if you're an enthusiast like most people who would post in this thread, it's not a half-bad OS at all.  Just thinking about it is making me wish I had it on my main computer all over again

Last edited by _j5689_ (2012-12-01 08:04:19)

13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6499

_j5689_ wrote:

business users
and what %, of computers in use today, do business users make up?

i got a call this week from an office manager that just got a new PC. it had Win 8, which wasn't the problem, it had IE 10. big deal? yes, when she's billing 7,500 patients and her billing app isn't compatible, it's the end of the month and the practice can't get statements out.

so your fancy DirectX 14 or whatever video cards, bought by 1% of consumers - what drives ATI or Nvidia to make those cards? the low end business class cards that make up volume that don't have high margins. the high end cards, 'enthusiast' motherboards, and fast timing RAM are subsidized by low end components and built for R & D and bragging rights (marketing).

how do you expect to get a job in IT if you can't see the impact business users have? are you going to get your buddies to pay you to install Windows and games, pay you to run defrag on their machines?
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6416|Finland

Transition to W7 is still under progress. W8, no go for a lot of business market.

It is pretty hard to get some of the development tools work on W7, yet alone W8.

Last edited by GC_PaNzerFIN (2012-12-01 09:02:50)

3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6719|Riva, MD

13urnzz wrote:

_j5689_ wrote:

business users
and what %, of computers in use today, do business users make up?

i got a call this week from an office manager that just got a new PC. it had Win 8, which wasn't the problem, it had IE 10. big deal? yes, when she's billing 7,500 patients and her billing app isn't compatible, it's the end of the month and the practice can't get statements out.

so your fancy DirectX 14 or whatever video cards, bought by 1% of consumers - what drives ATI or Nvidia to make those cards? the low end business class cards that make up volume that don't have high margins. the high end cards, 'enthusiast' motherboards, and fast timing RAM are subsidized by low end components and built for R & D and bragging rights (marketing).

how do you expect to get a job in IT if you can't see the impact business users have? are you going to get your buddies to pay you to install Windows and games, pay you to run defrag on their machines?
I was talking about Windows 8's usability as it pertained to people here for personal use, if it was for business, it would probably be a different story, I know there are security improvements in 8, but the usability for the masses just isn't quite there and I guess as you pointed out, there are some other compatibility issues even with pre-packaged software.

Was the shot at my job future really necessary?  I know that businesses make up a large amount of sales.  I was never arguing here that Windows 8 worked well for businesses, I was only talking about home users.  I only have three years of IT internship experience at my school, I can't be aware of everything that goes on business-wise until I get a job doing it, which at the moment doesn't even seem likely, I can't even get a fucking job with the Geek Squad(even though somebody tells me they badly need computer-savvy people, they still never called me back for the third & final interview) let alone in a real IT environment.  I just know what I know and I do what I do
i thought the geek squad at stores like Office Depot just plug sick computers into the interwebz for the real tech guys in India to sort them out..
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6499

_j5689_ wrote:

Was the shot at my job future really necessary?
no, and wasn't intended as such - just if you understand what drives technology, you will understand how it relates to everyday life.

email is one of those things that was brought home from business. hell, the whole internet was, eventually. PC's were priced once that only businesses had them for productivity, and now your phone can do more calculations than the computers that put a man on the moon.

the reason home PC's are referred to as 'end user' is because business applications were rudimentary networked, and if someone wanted to work on the computer at home, they were the "end user".
Cheez

Omg I forgot Windows 8 got 6 months free music.

I thought I'd try scrobbling my own music, and it started playing stuff I didn't have and I was all

Probably back to Winamp tomorrow though.

Edit: Peppa Pig is in Xbox Video rated M

Last edited by Cheez (2012-12-02 05:42:48)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard