Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6437|The Land of Scott Walker

mtb0minime wrote:

Wisconsin went blue? That must be really upsetting.
Nah, our governor and legislature are majority red.  Wisconsin hasn't gone red in a presidential election in awhile because of Madison and Milwaukee.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6402|'Murka

I've been wondering how the election would've gone if our electoral system was proportional, based on congressional district.

Geographic results (by county)
https://i.imgur.com/59q4H.png

Congressional districts
https://i.imgur.com/Xw31e.png

Would be interesting to see a merging of these two, with the corresponding elector count. Only a handful of states would've been "all in" for either candidate.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6666|Canberra, AUS
You'd see a radically different campaign then, wouldn't you? Would look much more like a UK/Aus style seat-by-seat election (which, trust me, can be seriously debilitating, especially when the earmarks start flying)

Also, my understanding is that there has been significant redrawing of the district boundaries in favour of Republicans - so that might not be an especially democratic thing to do.

Last edited by Spark (2012-11-07 20:56:19)

The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
FEOS
+1,182|6402|'Murka

Spark wrote:

You'd see a radically different campaign then, wouldn't you? Would look much more like a UK/Aus style seat-by-seat election (which, trust me, can be seriously debilitating, especially when the earmarks start flying)

Also, my understanding is that there has been significant redrawing of the district boundaries in favour of Republicans - so that might not be an especially democratic thing to do.
Both of those thoughts occurred to me. However, since the district sizes are generally inversely proportional to the population density and urban areas tend to vote more democrat than republican, it should balance out, but would balance the impact of the urban vs rural areas on the overall electoral count--which was the intent of the electoral college to begin with.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Reciprocity
+721|6572|the dank(super) side of Oregon
if only acreage had the right to vote.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6489

FEOS wrote:

I've been wondering how the election would've gone if our electoral system was proportional, based on congressional district.

Congressional districts

Would be interesting to see a merging of these two, with the corresponding elector count. Only a handful of states would've been "all in" for either candidate.
if you merged the two, then utah wouldn't have democratic representation.

makes sense, if you*re a republican in utah.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6708|Riva, MD

Spark wrote:

In this state it's the other way around, they redistricted in favor of Democrats, and it directly affected the election because one of the two Republicans lost a seat they had held for 20 years(I think he was like 86 years old, lol).  Passing our new gerrymandered redistricting map was Question 5 but nobody knew what it meant so the new map went through.  The new Democrat guy seems pretty cool though, apparently he runs a few businesses or firms of some sort, financed much of his own campaign and he even beat out one of the Governor's corrupt Democrat crew in the primary so he can't be all bad for a change.  Not that it matters, I'm not in that district, but my guy won his place again and he seems pretty cool too, he keeps in touch with anybody who e-mails him(or fills out one of those petition things like I did) and mails those people the results of General Assemblies(Maryland's state congress basically) when they go through a large amount of issues and I also agree on many of the same things he does.

Last edited by _j5689_ (2012-11-07 21:20:04)

Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6681|Tampa Bay Florida
Can someone from the midwest please explain the giant chunk of blue in West Illinois/East Iowa/Southwest Wisconsin?

I realized that certain areas in Wisconsin were crazy liberal and knew Chicago was too but there's just a blob of blue out in the middle of nowhere in Feos' map.
Spark
+874|6666|Canberra, AUS

FEOS wrote:

Spark wrote:

Both of those thoughts occurred to me. However, since the district sizes are generally inversely proportional to the population density and urban areas tend to vote more democrat than republican, it should balance out, but would balance the impact of the urban vs rural areas on the overall electoral count--which was the intent of the electoral college to begin with.
That would work, but I can only imagine that being viable when you have a politically neutral, and preferably federal, body having oversight over electorate boundaries.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Spark
+874|6666|Canberra, AUS

_j5689_ wrote:

Spark wrote:

In this state it's the other way around, they redistricted in favor of Democrats, and it directly affected the election because one of the two Republicans lost a seat they had held for 20 years(I think he was like 86 years old, lol).  Passing our new gerrymandered redistricting map was Question 5 but nobody knew what it meant so the new map went through.  The new Democrat guy seems pretty cool though, apparently he runs a few businesses or firms of some sort, financed much of his own campaign and he even beat out one of the Governor's corrupt Democrat crew in the primary so he can't be all bad for a change.  Not that it matters, I'm not in that district, but my guy won his place again and he seems pretty cool too, he keeps in touch with anybody who e-mails him(or fills out one of those petition things like I did) and mails those people the results of General Assemblies(Maryland's state congress basically) when they go through a large amount of issues and I also agree on many of the same things he does.
Yeah, the point isn't that it's Republicans drawing the districts. It's that it seems seriously undemocratic to me for partisan politicians to have anything to do with drawing the districts at all, but it's your system.
~ Richard Feynman
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6767|Moscow, Russia
congratulations (belated) to america on common sense prevailing in your elections once again.
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
Spark
+874|6666|Canberra, AUS
http://www.libertarianrepublican.net/20 … y.html?m=1

I believe we call this "the unhinging".
~ Richard Feynman
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6144|what

You can almost hear their angry keyboard strokes as you read.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6097|eXtreme to the maX
I am very happy to hear that Gary Johnson got 1.1 million votes. That is a great accomplishment. He and his team should be very proud. That is the one bright spot of the night, indeed.
Yeah well done Gary
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6681|Tampa Bay Florida

Now America's sexiest Congress person.
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6705|Purplicious Wisconsin
Oh well, 4 more years of utter shit, disappointing. Oh and I am definitely not gonna vote for a Libertarian candidate at all for quite awhile, I was willing to vote for a Libertarian when it comes to the local and state levels and possibly vote libertarian nationally if I had to, but now I think I will adopt their stubbornness for not voting for Romney in all scenarios, I lost all my respect for them.

I'd like to give my thanks to the national(not local, national) tea party and Rand Paul for supporting Mark Neumann as our Republican candidate for Wisconsin Senate which helped result in Tommy Thompson winning instead of Eric Hovde, thanks for getting into the affairs of our local elections jackasses. Tommy Thompson spent his little cash on stupid "Tammy Baldwin is too liberal for Wisconsin" ads which didn't help him. Oh and Thompson is a moderate which makes him more winnable....

Thumbs up for Chris Christy hugging Obama before the elections, dumbass. Kiss your chances of being President goodbye because we won't vote for you as Republican candidate for President with what you did.

Romney should of been slightly more aggressive in his ads, by better explaining what he was gonna do and slam Obama on things like Benghazi. Mr Nice Guy that Republicans tend to play as in Presidential elections doesn't help them win.

On the bright side, Paul Ryan kept his seat, Republicans still have the House, and the Wisconsin state senate has been reclaimed by Republicans(so now we can get things done again in Wisconsin). If Obama wants to get things done, he has gotta reach out and compromise, otherwise his 4 years are almost worthless and a waste of time.

Yes, laugh at this post all you want guys, haha. I really don't care.

On a side note, Wisconsin is purple, not blue. Also, I enjoy Halo 4

Last edited by War Man (2012-11-08 07:14:50)

The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6650|BC, Canada

War Man wrote:

Thumbs up for Chris Christy hugging Obama before the elections, dumbass. Kiss your chances of being President goodbye because we won't vote for you as Republican candidate for President with what you did.
This says it all. Politics at its best.
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6705|Purplicious Wisconsin

-Whiteroom- wrote:

War Man wrote:

This says it all. Politics at its best.
Yep, keep laughing, I really don't care.
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6650|BC, Canada
You really don't get it at all do you. Not one bit. This attitude that you have is one of the biggest things wrong with American politics today.
FEOS
+1,182|6402|'Murka

Spark wrote:

http://www.libertarianrepublican.net/2012/11/the-end-of-liberty-in-america-only.html?m=1

Looks like the Democrats are getting a taste of their own medicine...8-12 years after the fact. Karma, I suppose.
― Albert Einstein

FEOS
+1,182|6402|'Murka

Reciprocity wrote:

if only acreage had the right to vote.
People live in those districts...otherwise, the districts would be much, much smaller.

the almighty wiki wrote:

As of the 2000 census:

Average population per district: 646,946 people

Area

District with the greatest area: Alaska At-large
    District with the greatest area that comprises less than an entire state: Nevada's 2nd
    District with the smallest area: New York's 15th[1]

Population

District with the most people: Montana At-large (905,316)
    District with the fewest people: Wyoming At-large (495,304)

13urnzz wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Congressional districts

if you merged the two, then utah wouldn't have democratic representation.

makes sense, if you*re a republican in utah.
Based on the county-by-county outcome, Utah didn't anyway.

And I'm talking about changing up electoral vote distribution methodology, not how representatives are elected. It would have zero impact on any race but the presidency.
― Albert Einstein

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

Spark wrote:

http://www.libertarianrepublican.net/2012/11/the-end-of-liberty-in-america-only.html?m=1

Starting early this morning, I am going to un-friend every single individual on Facebook who voted for Obama, or I even suspect may have Democrat leanings. I will do the same in person. All family and friends, even close family and friends, who I know to be Democrats are hereby dead to me. I vow never to speak to them again for the rest of my life, or have any communications with them. They are in short, the enemies of liberty. They deserve nothing less than hatred and utter contempt.
The fact that he uses "friend" as an verb and "unfriend" as a threat means I would never have him on any of my lists to begin with.

Oh no, not the unfriending!

Maybe I'll vote for more Republicans when they come to their senses and oust the Tea Party loonies.
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6183|Roma
lol.
So he intends to commit social suicide, lose all his business and live an outcast life?
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png
west-phoenix-az
Guns don't kill people. . . joe bidens advice does
+632|6381
https://i.imgur.com/mvpF6.png
https://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/west-phoenix-az/BF2S/bf2s_sig_9mmbrass.jpg
cl4u53w1t2
Salon-Bolschewist
+269|6464|Kakanien

Spark wrote:

"When I'm at the Wal-mart or grocery story I typically pay with my debit card. On the pad it comes up, "EBT, Debit, Credit, Cash." I make it a point to say loudly to the check-out clerk, "EBT, what is that for?" She inevitably says, "it's government assistance." I respond, "Oh, you mean welfare? Great. I work for a living. I'm paying for my food with my own hard-earned dollars. And other people get their food for free." And I look around with disgust, making sure others in line have heard me."

"If I meet a Democrat in my life from here on out, I will shun them immediately. I will spit on the ground in front of them, being careful not to spit in their general direction so that they can't charge me with some stupid little nuisance law. Then I'll tell them in no un-certain terms: "I do not associate with Democrats. You all are communist pigs, and I have nothing but utter disgust for you. Sir/Madam, you are scum of the earth." Then I'll turn and walk the other way."

ahahahahahahaha

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard