Nagarond.Damminson
+16|6797
I had a laptop screne die out, and when i went to plug my desktop monitor in to the laptop as its display, i still get a blank screne and can't see. On the laptop, it flashes on for a second then dies, and you can see the windows screne display for a second and then nothing.

It has both male and female monitor plugs, so i tried to plug the video source from my desktop into her laptop screne to see if it was the laptop that had died and not the screne, but nothing that way either.

I was wondering what advice there is to troubleshoot the problem and find out exactly what it is.

If her cpu bit the bullet, i could still go into the bios and check to see that way? (assume i am as adept at computers as Bush is at winning a popularity contest)

-Thx
ridetohell
+10|6635
The same thing hapend to me once and it turned out to be the conection inside the laptop?
slo5oh
+28|6701

Nagarond.Damminson wrote:

If her cpu bit the bullet, i could still go into the bios and check to see that way?
-Thx
so you can view the bios or you can not?
If your display works in the bios screen, but not while in windows, I'd guess either the display properties are set wrong or your display driver is corrupted.
Nagarond.Damminson
+16|6797
i was wondering if the cpu got fried, could it still load up the bios? which is why i asked that question. Assuming that when it tries to start up windows it kills itself, and if i could access the bios prior to that step?

like i said... im not the tech nerd i know some of us are :-/
crownvic96
+5|6594
make sure the resolutions are compatible that you're trying to output. also check a/v output key on your laptop. it will usually switch between laptop/monitor/both/none
[FHF]MattyZ
What the Deuce?
+29|6702|Washington
On some laptops, you need to hit the function key, and a number to get the other screen to come up.  The number key has a picture of a monitor above it, usually in blue.
Nagarond.Damminson
+16|6797
thanks.

I opened it up and checked all the connections and everything seems good, i will check to make sure i am doing the monitor correctly. (It is a dell btw, if that clarifies anything in reference to what is needed to be done to show on a monitor.)
T0tal-Annihilation
+6|6726|Marietta, GA (near Atlanta)
lol Dell... that explaines a lot.

[FHF wrote:

MattyZ]On some laptops, you need to hit the function key, and a number to get the other screen to come up.  The number key has a picture of a monitor above it, usually in blue.
I'm running off a P-2 Dell right now...
Assuming the keyboard layout is the same... the key would be Fn+F8.

@Nagarond

Why don't you just replace the LCD and install a new one?
Are you sure it's your LCD's fault? (It could be the graphics)
Check the resolution like crownvic96 said.
Check BIOS if there's a setting for video output cuz some laptops have crap like that. (Enter BIOS via pressing Del/F2/F1 before Windows loads.)
j4g3r
+0|6581
I had the same exact problem with my Toshiba Satellite, I ended up replacing the whole LCD screen.  It was still under warranty, I was lucky.
T0tal-Annihilation

j4g3r wrote:

I had the same exact problem with my Toshiba Satellite, I ended up replacing the whole LCD screen.  It was still under warranty, I was lucky.
Toshiba is pretty good with their tech...
If your LCD dies on you, I'd suggest you get a new LCD, they're $100-200 or slightly more depending on the size of the LCD though replacing it by hand is quite annoying if you have a Dell and haven't taken a laptop apart before.
Nagarond.Damminson
+16|6797
unfortunatly this screen is not covered under warranty, and cost about 500 to replace, when  the laptop is 4 years old and we could get a new laptop 5x as good for 1k.

It was the screne, but being that the laptop was so old and slow, that it took about 10 minutes to boot up and then i had to switch with the lcd/crt button after that.

I am just going to keep an eye out on ebay and such to see if i can get a screen for it around 200-300 and then i am going to revamp the computer, its old and has issues (cpu fans are going out/not working, and its so loaded with crap on the computer that it runs slower than god knows..)
T0tal-Annihilation
lol guess my LCD price estimate was wrong...
kudos to you for trying!
if you need any help finding a new laptop, PM me.
Nagarond.Damminson
+16|6797
They are about 400-500 from dell for a replacement, but i am just going to keep an eye out for one on ebay from a good seller for about 200 if i am lucky. But thx for advice. The laptop was actually my fiance's and was old as dirt, so we went ahead and got her a new one ( http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/HP-Pavil … tDetail.do ) for around 1000, and i am just going to try and revive the old one as an additional laptop for work/travel.
T0tal-Annihilation
If you live in the states, you shoulda went to newegg.com; they have it cheaper though the one you bought looks very very nice compared to my P2 Dell piece of crap I have now. xP

Last edited by T0tal-Annihilation (2006-06-01 08:14:49)

Nagarond.Damminson
+16|6797
i didnt see the 5170US on neweggs website (now or then), and we checked most everything place, but circuit city had rebates it at the time and it was right at 970 pre tax.
T0tal-Annihilation
lol Good call.
Now I want that laptop too xP

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard