Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5350|London, England
hurricat, I might be able to get you an internship with the TSA... do you have a car?
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6708|Riva, MD
He said a few weeks ago that he does
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5693|College Park, MD
@WPA i dunno man. My roommate and I both applied for this job, apparently they had a few openings. I like to think we're pretty equal candidates; he has much more job experience but IIRC I have a higher GPA in a, let's face it, harder major (MIS and SCM versus criminal justice). The only other difference is that he has no criminal record, while I have a citation pending judgment which shows up in background checks... hopefully that all gets taken care of next month though. I'm guessing that because of that one little fuck up, they didn't call me back yet they did call him back.

@Jay I do have a car. Does TSA even hire non-US citizens though? I know the rest of the feds don't.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Fix your citizenship issues.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6573|SE London

I've resigned from Apple on a matter of principle.

They wanted me to go to regular Apple brainwashing training to improve my 'enthusiasm about Apple products and culture'. So instead of doing that, I handed them my resignation.

Submitted my CV to a former colleague who now works in recruitment yesterday, had my first interview today. Went ok.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
Sure, just gimme a few months to become eligible to apply for naturalization.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Bertster7 wrote:

They wanted me to go to regular Apple brainwashing training to improve my 'enthusiasm about Apple products and culture'. So instead of doing that, I handed them my resignation.

Submitted my CV to a former colleague who now works in recruitment yesterday, had my first interview today. Went ok.
Were you working in retail or something?
-Frederick Bastiat
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5535|Toronto

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

@WPA i dunno man. My roommate and I both applied for this job, apparently they had a few openings. I like to think we're pretty equal candidates; he has much more job experience but IIRC I have a higher GPA in a, let's face it, harder major (MIS and SCM versus criminal justice). The only other difference is that he has no criminal record, while I have a citation pending judgment which shows up in background checks... hopefully that all gets taken care of next month though. I'm guessing that because of that one little fuck up, they didn't call me back yet they did call him back.

@Jay I do have a car. Does TSA even hire non-US citizens though? I know the rest of the feds don't.
All three of those problems (citizenship, criminal record, work experience) are MASSIVE. Like, not at all worth the risk/hassle for the company.

With that said, start fixing the work experience issue by taking leadership in clubs and student government. Unpaid semi-related experience is better than nothing, and will at least get your foot in the door in most cases. If you can, fuck working for minimum wage and commit to this.

The other two problems are going to take time, and may screw you pretty hard in the short-term.
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6573|SE London

Jay wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Were you working in retail or something?
No. I did/do tech support for the corporate offices and stores across EMEIA.

If I was in retail I might understand it.

Seriously - fuck working in retail. Dealing with the public - no thanks.

Last edited by Bertster7 (2012-10-24 13:05:33)

Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls

Pochsy wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

All three of those problems (citizenship, criminal record, work experience) are MASSIVE. Like, not at all worth the risk/hassle for the company.

With that said, start fixing the work experience issue by taking leadership in clubs and student government. Unpaid semi-related experience is better than nothing, and will at least get your foot in the door in most cases. If you can, fuck working for minimum wage and commit to this.

The other two problems are going to take time, and may screw you pretty hard in the short-term.
Citizenship isn't an issue because I'm a US permanent resident. Honestly, the only places that can't hire me/would find it a hassle are the feds, fed contractors, and jobs that require security clearances. I'm eligible for the other X% of jobs out there.

You are right about the other stuff though. I became VP of a student organization and we're trying to turn it around and really get it going. It's actually kinda hard to find unpaid internships for my majors, believe it or not. A lot of the employment comes from companies big enough to afford even minimum wage internships I suppose. It's nice if you can get one, but it sure makes the competition that much tougher

As for the criminal charge, again, in early November I should have it changed to "nolle prosequi" (chose not to prosecute) since I completed community service. I can get it removed entirely later on down the road IIRC. It's such a minor charge that it really shouldn't affect anything except jobs that are security-sensitive though, and even then I'd call bullshit on the recruiter not having used a fake ID before.
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6682|Devon, England

Bertster7 wrote:

This is brilliant but I'm not surprised.

Good move - hope you got  new job alright.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6708|Riva, MD

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

even then I'd call bullshit on the recruiter not having used a fake ID before.
If your recruiter is a baby boomer, there's a good chance he probably didn't bother getting one because they had a normal drinking age of 18 back in the day.  Those people now seem to think young people are all pieces of shit for wanting to drink at a normal age like they did.  It's a place where my parents differ in opinions being on opposite sides of the law being enacted, my dad turned 16 when they had made it 21 in his state and he doesn't give a fuck if me and my sister drink, but my mom graduated in 78 so she barely made it in and she's always like "Nope, it's bad and I don't like it".  Could also just be a fun parent vs bitch parent thing though

I know I bring the 21+ alcohol issue up a lot but it really feels like a lot of us have been robbed: 18 to 21 is a very stressful time in a person's life, a lot of men are still growing and still have hormones acting up(sexual prime for men is 18-20(mid 30s for women)) and it's also a very pivotal and important part of life because of college and having to decide what you wanna do with your life after high school and all of that and there's no legal way to relieve the pressure, not that that ever stopped anybody but think of how much nicer things would be if everybody could just enjoy alcohol in casual moderation at a bar when you're 18 or 19 or 20 after work or class just like everybody else instead of just binge-drinking in a park or empty house whenever you get a chance.  Nobody under 21 is taken seriously in the US anymore, we're just draft cannon fodder and eligible to marry, lol
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6614|Little Bentcock

_j5689_ wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

even then I'd call bullshit on the recruiter not having used a fake ID before.
If your recruiter is a baby boomer, there's a good chance he probably didn't bother getting one because they had a normal drinking age of 18 back in the day.  Those people now seem to think young people are all pieces of shit for wanting to drink at a normal age like they did.  It's a place where my parents differ in opinions being on opposite sides of the law being enacted, my dad turned 16 when they had made it 21 in his state and he doesn't give a fuck if me and my sister drink, but my mom graduated in 78 so she barely made it in and she's always like "Nope, it's bad and I don't like it".  Could also just be a fun parent vs bitch parent thing though

I know I bring the 21+ alcohol issue up a lot but it really feels like a lot of us have been robbed: 18 to 21 is a very stressful time in a person's life, a lot of men are still growing and still have hormones acting up(sexual prime for men is 18-20(mid 30s for women)) and it's also a very pivotal and important part of life because of college and having to decide what you wanna do with your life after high school and all of that and there's no legal way to relieve the pressure, not that that ever stopped anybody but think of how much nicer things would be if everybody could just enjoy alcohol in casual moderation at a bar when you're 18 or 19 or 20 after work or class just like everybody else instead of just binge-drinking in a park or empty house whenever you get a chance.  Nobody under 21 is taken seriously in the US anymore, we're just draft cannon fodder and eligible to marry, lol
I think you just helped the pro 21 argument, and hindered your own argument there.

These are the exact times that having alcohol is a bad idea. Maybe if you were a little more mature you would realise alcohol doesn't help these situations, it just leads to further problems.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6708|Riva, MD
Doesn't seem to be a problem anywhere else enough to warrant changing the age three years higher.  Maybe it's just because Americans can't handle it or something
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6650|BC, Canada
I was thinking the same. "When stress is introduced into someones life, you should also introduce alcohol.

Little secret though j#s, life does't get less stressful from that age on.
Adams_BJ

_j5689_ wrote:

Doesn't seem to be a problem anywhere else enough to warrant changing the age three years higher.  Maybe it's just because Americans can't handle it or something
when you are using at as a tool to fix something, its always going to end in disaster. There is nothing special about alcohol, it is a depressant. You personally, I would recommend you didn't go near the stuff. You have the wrong attitude towards it, you are after it for all the wrong reasons (if there are any right reasons for alcohol that is)
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6708

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

Citizenship isn't an issue because I'm a US permanent resident. .
There's a huge difference between PR and Citizenship, especially when its for security related jobs.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls

Cybargs wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

There's a huge difference between PR and Citizenship, especially when its for security related jobs.
You're right, but this was a job monitoring computer screens that display what the CCTV cams on campus see. Not exactly working on classified info lol
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6708

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

You're right, but this was a job monitoring computer screens that display what the CCTV cams on campus see. Not exactly working on classified info lol
Imagine this: some dude with PR fucks up during a security check, the amount of shit the government would get because OMG YOU DIDNT HIRE A CITZIEN WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU GUYS HES NOT EVEN A TRUSTED AMERIKUN
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
iceman785
+93|6664|Alaska, mother fucker.
Starting up my job as a bear guard again finally. Waiting for jobs to finally ramp up and changing contracts from one oil company to another sucks. But at least I'll be making bank in a month
Adams_BJ

iceman785 wrote:

Starting up my job as a bear guard again finally. Waiting for jobs to finally ramp up and changing contracts from one oil company to another sucks. But at least I'll be making bank in a month
you're going to be a construction worker?
west-phoenix-az
Guns don't kill people. . . joe bidens advice does
+632|6381
nope

https://aka.media.entertainment.sky.com/image/unscaled/2012/08/15/TrolliedS02Specials14-EXTRA_LARGE_WIDE-to-LARGE_WIDE.jpg
https://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/west-phoenix-az/BF2S/bf2s_sig_9mmbrass.jpg
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6659

iceman785 wrote:

First pass, I read "beer" guard.  Then, remembered that job of yours from before.
iceman785
+93|6664|Alaska, mother fucker.

Adams_BJ wrote:

iceman785 wrote:

you're going to be a construction worker?
No I'm a guard. Should a bear decide to enter the area of work we are at, we simply haze the people and let the bear do its thing until it leaves. And if the bear eats someone I shoot it. But if the bear eats someone, then someone, somewhere, fucked up.

And yeah, it's the same job just went from working for Shell's OES program for their future pipe line to working with Exxon.

Last edited by iceman785 (2012-11-01 18:32:25)

Eifa
Never regret anything that ever made you smile.
+923|5863|00770
been unemployed for almost 5 months now.. doing my head in already
No, I don't need an attitude adjustment. You just need to fuck off.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard