Camm
Feeding the Cats.
+761|4939|Dundee, Scotland.
Just reinstalled Windows 7 after trying 8 for a week and not liking it. Wondered what you guys do when setting up a brand new install.

I downloaded a ninite installer and saved it to my storage drive, and also copied over drivers for graphics card, and several other program installers (Mumble, Teamspeak, UltraMon etc).

Currently installing TF2 and ARMA 2 from the backup I have on my storage device as well.

So, what are some things that you guys do when installing a fresh OS?
for a fatty you're a serious intellectual lightweight.
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5149|Sydney
Backup.
Install.
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6282

I'd love to use ninite but the last time I checked, it didn't support installs on a partition/hard drive other than C: Kinda sucks if you have a small OS drive and a separate one for larger programs and games.

One thing I just started doing is pointing my user folders (Documents, Pictures, Music, Video, Download) to a separate HDD (again to save space on my small SSD).

One of these days I'm going to capture an image of my OS partition and throw it on my backup drive. That way I don't have to worry about installing several dozen drivers, utilities, and programs the next time I want to "reformat" and I can restore it from the network.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6261|Washington St.
I like the idea of a completely fresh install so I don't backup anything except for documents, pictures, and music (and saved game directories).

Format disk on installation, then redownload and build everything from scratch. Something about copying stuff over from an old build that rubs me the wrong way so I do a full 'start-over'. Takes a lot longer of course but I just know to set aside an afternoon whenever I need to do it and do it. Keeps me from having stuff on my hard drive I never use and sits there slowing everything down taking up space.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6709|Toronto | Canada

i flash a new ROM every 2-3 weeks on my phone so ive gotten pretty quick at the entire process. 
back up text messages, back up apps, make zip of backed up apps, backup entire system, flash new ROM, flash gapps, flash zip of backed up apps and then its just logging back into google/dropbox/etc.  takes about 20 mins total and maybe 5 min of that looking at the screen
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6409|King Of The Islands

Formatting the drive itself is negligible. Let Windows push the old install aside. Just install to the same partition as the existing Windows.

Fucking future.
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6123|what

Yeah, if you're not partitioning the OS you're doing it wrong.

Camm, why don't you just get finray to do this for you? It's his job, innit?
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
I buy a new HD and go from there.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4225
WHO cares
Brasso
+1,549|6601

i don't mind reinstalling for the most part, because ninite makes it quite easy. then i just have to install teamspeak and a couple other things and i'm set. the thing i always fucking forget (and don't know how to deal with) is my checked/unchecked songs in itunes. i check about half of my songs and only sync those, so i always have to go through my entire music library and check/uncheck songs if i reinstall. i just happened to reinstall 2 days ago, fml.

reinstall story: 4 pin molex Y-splitter was shitty and literally burned out. probably could have caused a fire in my computer. second video card wasn't receiving enough power, so i would BSOD (with no video output) every time i started a game. it took some backend debugging to finally find the BSOD error, and find out the cause. so i replace the Y-splitter and windows is having issues booting/repairing, so i had to reinstall. no idea how one problem causes that one, but hey. computers.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
jsnipy
+3,276|6493|...

ghost image
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5759|Catherine Black

AussieReaper wrote:

Yeah, if you're not partitioning the OS you're doing it wrong.

Camm, why don't you just get finray to do this for you? It's his job, innit?
smd
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5149|Sydney

aynrandroolz wrote:

WHO cares
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6409|King Of The Islands

aynrandroolz wrote:

WHO cares
What do the World Health Organisation have to do with operating systems?
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6471|so randum
drop everything important (key drivers, photo+text files, useful tool installers (ccleaner etc) onto a USB, and just run it all once im back into windows. generally leave things like steam to tick over overnight, and pick up random stuff over the next week.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard